Airfix 1/35 Cromwell IV

81-er

The trials and tribulations of decals!   😕

You're working through the problems and it's still progressing towards the finishing point, keep going!  The paintwork looks great and I like the swatch idea.  

As @Bullbasket says, the colours will vary somewhat once the tank rolls into action and has some abuse.  I think it's subjective and open to interpretation myself!  

Keith  😁

• Like 1

Thank gents :) I've got intentions of some oil dot filters, followed by some mud & debris. My club meets in a fortnight, I'd like to have this one done to take along to that. I'm also keen to wrap up this one and the FW-190 as I've got a vacform Dalek lined up for the Not in my Comfort Zone GB...

James

• Thanks 1

Thank you, John. It's the Southend Model Club AKA IPMS South East Essex.

I've started on the panel line wash, using oils for that for the first time. Still cleaning it up, but I'm generally liking how it's come out. Once I'm happy there, I'll matt coat it and have a go with the dot filters

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

It's the Southend Model Club AKA IPMS South East Essex.

Small world!! When you go to the next meeting, say hello to Guy. He's my son-in-law.

John.

• Like 2

That is a VERY small world then! I will do :)

So, an interim update. I’ve gotten to where (I think) I’m happy with the level of wash I’ve taken off, but I thought I’d do the smart thing and get some opinions from hardened AFV builders before I lock it all in under a matt coat. I’ve tried to get my phone’s camera to play ball a little more by photographing on a white background, to partial success. Any comments accepted, excuse the odd bit of dust:

2tFWZVR.jpg

ULIqQdf.jpg

AMICMgV.jpg

ExC3WCX.jpg

JB9sUJD.jpg

fUzXadM.jpg

IkTc4YT.jpg

dEld5Pz.jpg

JeADZUk.jpg

James

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Oooh that new decal has settled well and the weathering looks great. I’m my current state of mind I’d have gone for clods of mud all over the shop but whatever blows yer hair back. Fantastic work James. 🤩🙌

Johnny.

• Like 1

Thanks, Johnny. This was only stage one, there's plenty of mud to come. Mind you, I apparently was too subtle with the wash as 95% has disappeared now the matt coat is on. Still, I can redo it, so not a major disaster. Probably won't be much progress over the weekend as it'll be taken up with family stuff, but there should be plenty of filth next week

James

• Like 2

dEld5Pz.jpg

James

Great build great paint work when you get some small localized silvering of decals use a new sharp blade and just nick the decal where the silvering is and straight away with a cocktail stick put a drop of clear varnish where you nicked the decal and the silvering should go leave it to go off then seal with satin varnish and weather as required.

Pete

• Like 5

Cheers Craig. I'm currently in a bit of a choice paralysis over the direction to go in for the last bits of weathering, but I'm hoping to have flipped the metaphorical coin to have this ready for the club night next week.

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while, so I thought it was time for an update on the progress with this. I’m pretty happy with the weathering on the lower hull now, so I’ve reached a point where putting the wheels and tracks on seems sensible. That’s proving to be a little interesting as they now appear to be one to two links short, even though they fitted perfectly before painting. Add to that that each time I get one bit glued back together another falls apart, it’s been somewhat frustrating. I may end up having to hide some gaps in the tracks behind the outer track guards.

Weathering wise, the tracks have had a coat of AK’s track rust wash, and everything else is just AK dark earth pigment. Here’s a few pictures of where things currently are, play spot the gap in the tracks. I’ve also just noticed I’ve managed to bend the front MG barrel while posting these, so I’ll have to straighten that.

nl4GK7M.jpg

WlMpSTz.jpg

YqZFiir.jpg

gWV3eg6.jpg

tgxF2Ts.jpg

EYNRzDi.jpg

James

• Like 10

Hi James. It's looking very good. I don't know if this will help with your track problem, but looking at the first photo in your last post, the tracks seem to be set unnaturally. If you look at photos of Cromwells, the tracks tend to hover above the first and last road wheel, and just touch on the second, third and fourth. That might help fill the gap in the links.

HTH.

John.

• Like 2

Thanks John, I'll have a go at straightening them out a bit and see if it helps. Worst case, I have the mk VI kit I could borrow the tracks or a couple of links from, or the absolute last resort of the rubber band tracks

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

last resort of the rubber band tracks

If they're anything like the rubber band tracks in the Tamiya kit, they're not that bad. The Cromwell that I'm refurbishing at the moment has got those on it. And if all else fails, there's always Fruilmodel. I used them on a couple of my Cromwell/Centaurs. They're the best.

John.

• Like 1

To be fair to Airfix, the rubber band tracks don't look too bad, but they have a desire to twist slightly while off the model. That might straighten out when installed, I just haven't tried it yet. I'll have a look at the Fruilmodel stuff too, thank you :)

James

If you do go down the route of using Fruilmodel tracks, this is how they can look. They are very easy to assemble, and they give you way more links than is required.

G8JpeK1.jpg

John.

• Like 6

They do look very nice. I'm going to try straightening out the existing tracks first of all, and go from there.

James

• Like 1

The rust and dust looks spot on. It’s hard to hold back when you start with the muddy stuff but you’ve really nailed it. I thing straightening the tracks will work out just fine, 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1

Cheers Johnny :) Attempts at straightening the tracks still ongoing. I've entirely ruled out using the rubber bands as they put a pull on the idler wheel resulting in it visibly being canted backwards as the axel bent. There’s a couple more tricks I’m hoping to try on the plastic tracks before I’m willing to give in and replace them

James