Creating a Canberra PR7

TeeELL

As part of my collection of ‘Aircraft I flew’ I am going to try and produce a Canberra PR7 (WT532) of 13(PR) Sqn circa 1981/82 RAF Wyton.

My attempt has been assisted by ‘Canberra kid’ supplying me with pretty much all the essential components along with plans and drawings and kindly digging out other references.  

The model will use:

fuselage from Airfix B57

wings from Frog B(I)8

undercarriage bay and gear from the ‘new’ Airfix B(I)8

resin replacement rudder

Aeroclub ejection seats (early white metal version)

Aeroclub? Replacement forward fuselage

I may well produce my own 3D printed forward fuselage.  I’ve had a practice run using some rough measurements which proved the concept:

spacer.png

I have designed replacement intakes with significantly more detail than those of the Frog originals (which are also about 0.5mm too small in diameter to fit the wings!).

spacer.png

spacer.png

work to date has focussed on the wings and producing the above 3D intake.

• Like 5

Greet minds think alike TeeELL! Am doing almost the same conversion albeit without 3D parts at present. See the link beneath

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235122328-kitbashing-a-canberra-pr7-in-172/#comment-4630569

I too will be building a 13 Sqn bird following the move back from Luqa to Wyton in 1978.  I'll watch your progress with interest!

Mark

• Like 1

I have realised that this thread has been created in the wrong section - sorry.  I will re-commence in the correct section.  For further progress Please visit:  

ADMIN - please delete this thread

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A great deal has happened since I last added anything to this thread - indeed I am not even sure this is active?  Still, I will give it a go.

I spent considerable time a couple of weekend ago, checking dimensions of various parts on the Newark PR7 and the S. Yorks PR7 front fuselage.   As a result I had to do some revision to my model and to the 3D printed fuselage.  I took the opportunity to remove the first ‘front end’ and, having printed the revised version, I Araldited that in place.  The slide-in interior was revised and transfers made to give a basic form of instrument panel.  
the model has received a session or 2 or 3 or 4 of FSR and is now in an acceptable (for me) place.  Humbrol LAG enamel was applied to the lower surface and 24 hrs later I masked the model and applied HATAKA DSG to the upper surface.

a slight delay in progress as I need to vac-form a canopy, which should be done later today.

spacer.png

• Like 6

I have produced vac-formed canopies and nose transparencies, but for a modeller in the USA who asked for parts to convert a FROG kit.  With that kit being slightly larger in diameter I had to calculate a scaling of parts and printed ‘his’ fuselage at 103.7%.  The vac-formed canopy should fit and the bucks I printed for the nose transparency were also done at 103.7%.

unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before packing everything.

• Like 4

I realised that I had taken a photo of all the parts I currently have for the Canberra.  I took it to send to our very own TheyJammedKenny! (Poor Kenny, I dread to think what jamming him means?).  Any way, here is the photo:

spacer.png

The parts labelled ‘old’ are my first iterations with the updated parts on the right.  In front are jet pipes and exhaust shrouds, intake lips and intake starter bullet/compressor faces (all designed for the FROG kit.  In front of those are the vac-form nose and canopy transparencies.  The front row comprises basic instrument panel transfers, fine mudguards, improved nose wheels Including one with the axle (and one spare).  On the right are the bucks used.

• Like 7

You will appreciate that my PR7 is based around the Airfix 1/72 B(I)6/B-57 so all the items I am producing are for those.  Obviously, the previous photo shows items for TJK’s Frog conversion (a straightforward change in dimensions by 103.7%.  However,  I have since modified the intake bullet to match the Airfix engine bay mouldings although the exhaust is ‘too difficult’ given the way Airfix have arranged the fitment.

I am supplying a modeller with the appropriate components for him to correct his planned build of the B(I)6.  The original B6 NW undercarriage leg is easily trimmed to fit the resin wheel bay (even though that is based on the Airfix B8 model).  The nose wheels have better detail - mind you, precious little can be seen as the U/C doors obscure most of the detail.  This particular individual initially wanted ‘split fuselage halves’ but, having realised what a ‘black hole’ the Canberra cockpit is, has revised his intention of adding extra detail and has now opted for the one piece fuselage.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TeeELL said:

Poor Kenny, I dread to think what jamming him means

Attacking him with 'trons of course!  If you look closely at the 1998-vintage morale patch, Kenny is wearing headphones, and the aircraft circling menacingly overhead is an EC-130H Compass Call, so...

Kenny was a character from the animated (adult) series South Park, who managed to die horribly in almost every episode.  It was not my idea, but I did the artwork and had about 10 of these made to spec for flight suits--not worn during missions.

Beautiful work on your part, all these Canberra bits!  Will get back to you soon via PM on next steps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Attacking him with 'trons of course!  If you look closely at the 1998-vintage morale patch, Kenny is wearing headphones, and the aircraft circling menacingly overhead is an EC-130H Compass Call, so...

Kenny was a character from the animated (adult) series South Park, who managed to die horribly in almost every episode.  It was not my idea, but I did the artwork and had about 10 of these made to spec for flight suits--not worn during missions.

Beautiful work on your part, all these Canberra bits!  Will get back to you soon via PM on next steps.

oK - means nothing to me - sorry.  Never watched anything called South Park.

• Like 2

I’ve finally reached a point where I can close up the cockpit ready for the green.  My airbrushing found its way into the cockpit and over the instrument panel.  Fortunately, I made several copies of ‘my’ transfers so I’ve put some more in place.  I need to add the ejection seat and, after masking the canopy, glue that in place.

spacer.png

I can’t show the canopy in place because it keeps slipping off!  I’ve also checked my nose transparencies and it is perfect!

• Like 3

Really nice and crisp work on this--if the canopy and nose transparency fit is smooth, that's a real plus, too and a significant improvement on what's out on the market now.  

Please see PM I just sent this AM.

13 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Really nice and crisp work on this--if the canopy and nose transparency fit is smooth, that's a real plus, too and a significant improvement on what's out on the market now.  

Please see PM I just sent this AM.

TJK,

my greatest concern, with your parts, is that the ‘fudge’ I did to have them match the FROG fuselage works!  Not being able to do a comparison/adjustment against an actual product leaves me somewhat uncomfortable!

• Like 1

Not the most exciting update, but it is an update!  The canopy has had the ‘redundant UHF aerials’ attached to the inside and the whole lot dipped in Klear.  As I plan to mask the canopy with Windsor & Newton artists mask, I’ve dipped my spare canopy in Klear as I want to check for any adverse reaction.

The canopy has been attached using PVA and later I will go around the edges with some PPP so achieve a good finish.  After that, it will be more paint and tomorrow masking for the green.

Downside is, I am taking Air Cadets to Boscombe Down to go flying (in theory - wind might be too strong).

• Like 1

The canopy was airbrushed and some more filler was needed in a couple of places.  That has been addressed, rubbed down and I shall apply some more grey before bed.

Today I will br cutting out the masks I printed and then I will apply the dark green.  I plan on using Humbrol enamel for that thinned with cellulose/lacquer which will cause it to dry reasonably quickly.  

The masks were applied and the green (Hu 163 thinned with cellulose) applied.  The paint dried quickly and I was able to remove the masking tape after an hour.

spacer.png

My previous post should have appeared Friday evening!  No idea why it didn’t get posted?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Gremlins, probably.  Great work on this!  What are your plans for the window glazings?

I am going to use ‘Glue & Glaze’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

looking great!

but that thread would be better suited in the WIP section, no? ;)

seems to be on the home stretch  :thumbsup:

Mmmm, yep!  I think I got a bit confused - I think I have also done the build there as well.

• Like 1