Israeli Air Force Gloster Meteror F.8 in 1/48 scale

With the purchase of Gloster Meteors the Israeli Air Force fleet entered the jet fighter era. In 1952 the British government agreed to sell 15 Meteors to Israel (as well as to the neigbouring Arab countries), The first T.7 trainers arrived in June 1953 and by the end of the decade the IAF had also acquired reconnaissance and night fighter versions of the Meteor, the FR.9 and the NF.13. The fighters saw action during the Suez Crisis in 1956. Gloster Meteors got two victories when captain Aaron Yoal downed two Egyptian Vampires. The last Meteor retired from IAF service in 1970.

My model depicts an IAF Gloster Meteor F.8 from the early 1950's. The plane belonged to the "First jet squadron", which was stationed at the Ramat David air base in Northern Israel. The fighter wears the black and white checks on the nose and on the tips of the nozzles. In addition, the plane has black identification stripes painted on the wings and fuselage. In the beginning, the Meteors were metallic in colour, but in the late 50's the IAF started to change them into the brown, blue and grey camo.

Building the model was quite challenging and especially fitting the wings and the engines was nerve wracking. I painted the model with Alclad's Dark Aluminum and for weathering I used MIG's pigments and pastels. I also added about 80 grams of weight inside the nose to prevent the Meteor from becoming a tail sitter. I added many details to the model, e.g. the ladder, the ejector seat handle and the sight, I also drilled holes to the nose for the camera cannon and the air intake. The instrument panel is from Eduard's photo etch set and the excellent decals are from Isradecals. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the IAF Gloster Meteor T.7 trainer in the metal color version from early 1950's. I took this picture when visiting the IAF museun in Hatzerim near the city of Beersheba.

Edited by Einar
I added a picture
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

I concur. Having built the CA Vampire T.11 recently, I well appreciate the challenges of their kits. I have one of these in the stash to wrangle, too - you've given me confidence all is not lost!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I concur. Having built the CA Vampire T.11 recently, I well appreciate the challenges of their kits. I have one of these in the stash to wrangle, too - you've given me confidence all is not lost!

Thank you!

Einar 

On 10/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, exdraken said:

Wow, an old Classic Airframes Meteor

I beg your pardon?

The OLD (or is that "Olde") Meteor is AMT's, released, according to Scalemates, in 1978.

Tamiya's first came out in 1997.

Classic Airframes released their first Meteor in 2003, with various versions coming out in the following two years or so.  It's a 21st Century kit!

All meant with tongue in cheek, in case there's any doubt.  Nice build, by the way!

bob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

I beg your pardon?

The OLD (or is that "Olde") Meteor is AMT's, released, according to Scalemates, in 1978.

Tamiya's first came out in 1997.

Classic Airframes released their first Meteor in 2003, with various versions coming out in the following two years or so.  It's a 21st Century kit!

All meant with tongue in cheek, in case there's any doubt.  Nice build, by the way!

bob

Thanks Bob!

I got the message🤣👍

Einar