What am I doing wrong?

Robin-42

I am finally getting useable prints, but I am still getting a high failure rate. I have had to resort to using heavy supports or my tank winds up a blob in the resin tank while the supports print away happily. You can see the base curves up at the front, obviously trying to peel away from the build plate. I am just accepting the default settings at this point from chitubox. The heavy supports also mean a lot of sanding. Mars3, water based resin. 

B535E0A5-8A11-4116-8A14-3A324C248E77

It takes longer to print, but try it vertically. Only a few supports needed, so less clean up. It should print straight, too.

I would echo the above, I would say 90% of my printing problems have been caused by temperature. 

What strikes me about your picture are the support bottoms that seem to sit below the raft, I've not seen that before and I use chitubox exclusively. 

For a drop tank I would extrude a pillar ca 1mm diameter out of the top or bottom of the tank and attach that to a nice solid square base (ie make the base yourself). No support clean up then other than snipping off the pillar and a tiny bit of profiling of the tank tip. 

On 8/26/2022 at 12:53 AM, Jo NZ said:

It takes longer to print, but try it vertically. Only a few supports needed, so less clean up. It should print straight, too.

I’ll try that, I was trying to mimic the commercial prints I have, they all seem to have been printed on an angle.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:34 AM, Niall said:

I have read the most common resin printer fails are because the resin is not warm enough, it needs to over 25C(77F) for most printers.

Printed during a heatwave in my loft. It was over 25 for sure!

On 8/27/2022 at 3:16 PM, Bangseat said:

I would echo the above, I would say 90% of my printing problems have been caused by temperature. 

What strikes me about your picture are the support bottoms that seem to sit below the raft, I've not seen that before and I use chitubox exclusively. 

For a drop tank I would extrude a pillar ca 1mm diameter out of the top or bottom of the tank and attach that to a nice solid square base (ie make the base yourself). No support clean up then other than snipping off the pillar and a tiny bit of profiling of the tank tip. 

I am surprised that the default supports seem so random with the software. Some  supports wind up below the raft, because I manually add them after the raft is formed, they wind up outside the raft a bit. 

brand and type of resin are you using?

have you done calibration tests on your resin and setup?

I have a Saturn  and use Siraya tech resins and Elegoo resins so i can maybe give you some settings to try.

https://siraya.tech/pages/siraya-tech-test-model 

try this calibration test its very good, you will find you will only need medium supports at most for the model you are trying to print.

I can help but  I need the info above.

Edited by RANDYLIZARD1978

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 11:43 AM, RANDYLIZARD1978 said:

brand and type of resin are you using?

have you done calibration tests on your resin and setup?

I have a Saturn  and use Siraya tech resins and Elegoo resins so i can maybe give you some settings to try.

https://siraya.tech/pages/siraya-tech-test-model 

try this calibration test its very good, you will find you will only need medium supports at most for the model you are trying to print.

I can help but  I need the info above.

A little too busy at the moment, but the calibration test will be done next time I have time to play with the printer.  Thanks for your help, I will report back.

• Thanks 1