The Minor Gustavs: Bf 109Gs in Smaller Air Force Service

On 2/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I like the scheme, too, but I couldn't really recommend the kit compared to the much better 1/72 G-6s out there . . .

Yeah... sadly I know.  I struggled with this kit for my Swiss G-6 build.  I mean the kit was a ton of fun to put together with no real fit issues, but the detail was awful... particularly for the bumps on the upper cowl! Although now I have some spare bumps (for lack of a better term) from a G6 that will be converted to a G4, so I suppose one could sand the offending parts off the Airfix and glue them on (and get an after market cockpit).  Nice of me to mention it now you're almost done, huh? :P

It looks spectacular with the decals on!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, opus999 said:

Yeah... sadly I know.  I struggled with this kit for my Swiss G-6 build.  I mean the kit was a ton of fun to put together with no real fit issues, but the detail was awful... particularly for the bumps on the upper cowl! Although now I have some spare bumps (for lack of a better term) from a G6 that will be converted to a G4, so I suppose one could sand the offending parts off the Airfix and glue them on (and get an after market cockpit).  Nice of me to mention it now you're almost done, huh? :P

It looks spectacular with the decals on!

In the end I don't find the "unibumps" all that offensive, although inexcusable error on Airfix's part. I did sand it flatter on top, albeit still far from flush. Pretty much every part of the kit is poorly detailed and for me even the fit left something to be desired.

But, here we are and I'm happy with how Finland is turning out. I took advantage of some warmer weather to spray the matt clear coat and she'll get her canopy and be up on her stand in no time.

y4m6KJL0iMMafhhQWb2N22MHMuCF8asQjUMbDtQG

• Like 5

On 2/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Is there a risk that you apply too much heat with this method? If so, how do you mitigate the risk?

I set the blow dryer on Warm and Low and just keep the dryer moving, not focused on one spot.  I have done this to dozens of builds and never had an issue.  Of course I just do it to get the initial drying done.  I still leave it for a while before I try a second color but I do find it helps set the paint quickly nullifying chances of runs or dust sticking to the wet paint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After some practice and experience with upper Luftwaffe camo over in the FW 190 GB (I'm building a couple of Hungarian butcher birds) I had enough confidence to pull Slovakia (Airfix G-6) back out and get some RLM 75 up top.

y4mrx03GcXYBkINVFE69VavhNE5C4o-d9OR2Gva2

• Like 4

Upper camo on Slovakia (Airfix G-6) is coming along. RLM 75 mottles are done, and will add some RLM 74 soon.

y4mb60agzANp5WCQXSlYsYkQx0x9BAxzOOTYWVHB

After the RLM 74 is done, it will be on to the green and yellow on the fuselage (and yellow under the wings). The green is a bit debatable, but some dark colour was used to overpaint swastikas on the tail and crosses on the fuselage, and a dark green is what AZ suggests and what I will go with. 

• Like 6

As I continue working on Slovakia (Airfix G-6), I added swastika decals to the fins.

y4mzpMjFn_YNE2sp1ECUrrola4dI23swmKTEjRCj

I did this to give myself a good idea of the area/shape I needed to cover up with dark green. I must say, it was rather satisfying to paint them over!

y4mtrBDlZ0OCw08Lk0Ul7CXfyAk1vxJWl_tq25M8

• Like 6

This is the Airfix G-6 kit, but I'm using AZ decals for the Slovakia markings. I've found AZ decals can be a bit rough, but I have the crosses on the fin now. You can also see where I've been working on the yellow stripe. 

y4mBGGwY8kUO9nkcNXTfHmMqXFlm2AD6BWIlJRfO

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After paying attention to many other models, I was back to the Slovakian Gustav (Airfix G-6) working on the yellow ID and getting the decals on the underside.

y4mb93OlabiK5HMt7TwSnQlgOM86MTU6tvnLvn-6

I painted the MGs and exhaust stacks and got the crosses onto the wings. The starboard cross rebelled and crumbled so I'll see what I can do with some paint to clean that up. These decals are leaving a lot to be desired, sadly.

y4mWbsWJEbKMGyZwdzQIeMlmiWm8b9WY64LKmTv7

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Croatia (Academy G-14) is all done now, built alongside Yugoslavia in the Southern Europe GB. The decals on her are largely from Life Here.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64832&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64833&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64842&authk

With Yugoslavia and Croatia complete, I now have built six Minor Gustavs (five to go!). Here are Croatia and Yugoslavia together.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64838&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64839&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64837&authk

• Like 8

I attempted a group photo shoot of the six Minor Gustavs built to date. We have Slovakia (Airfix G-6); Finland (Airfix G-6); Yugoslavia (Revell G-10); Croatia (Academy G-14); Czechoslovakia (KP Avia S-199); and Romania (Hobby Boss G-6). None of these would compete for any awards, but I hope you enjoy them collectively as much as I do!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64843&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64846&authk

• Like 8