1/144 SCALE TYPE VII C/41 SUNKEN UBOAT.

Another crusty rusty sunken sub. 

This time I had a go at doing various greens and hues to build up colour, I also used some matt and then a light gloss varnish to give a wet slimy look.

The stand is the original kit one but, I added some brass embellishments to it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Si.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, it's a rather poignant model. It makes me wonder how many of the crew died in her. Odds are, most if not all of them. In his book "Iron Coffins" Herbert Werner (a U-boat commander) says that the mortality rate of operational crews in WW2 was close to 93%. Not good odds.

The rust effects you've done are very good I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

A rust bucket.

Yep, with a bit more sea slime, I normally do not do this much. Glad you like the rusty crusty Steve.

5 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it's a rather poignant model. It makes me wonder how many of the crew died in her. Odds are, most if not all of them. In his book "Iron Coffins" Herbert Werner (a U-boat commander) says that the mortality rate of operational crews in WW2 was close to 93%. Not good odds.

The rust effects you've done are very good I think. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, yep, many perished in the iron coffins. In all sunken sub models I have made I always have hatches open...gives that look of at least some got out. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Now that is what I call rust. How did you do it? Looks amazing and very believable.

David

Hi David, firstly, many thanks for looking and for liking my model.

The process is a very easy one. 

First, the model is assembled and bits twisted, bent, dented etc. 

Then a very fine sand coat is added using undiluted PVA, leave to dry and then coat with primer.

Once dry you build up the paint layers and colours, for the rust patches I use a mixture of old, rail and new rust pigments applied using some white spirit.

• Thanks 1

Vince, asked if I could put all the subs I have done for comparison.

First attempt, also on a base. 1/125 scale.

spacer.png

Second model, 1/125 scale.

spacer.png

Third model, 1/125 scale, commission build, model kept as client balked on payment.

spacer.png

Forth model, 1/144 scale, commission build, client paid in full.

spacer.png

Latest build, 1/144 scale.

spacer.png

Edited by eddiesolo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's such a simple technique when you write it down but getting it that right must take some skill. I will definitely be playing with this one sometime soon.

Glad to know you will give it ago.

The skill is is paint finish and weathering. The basic technique is so simple, you can make the model a glue bomb as it will be covered, just use a paintbrush and add the undiluted PVA, do in sections and then use fine sand, or something similar and just pour on, just build up any areas and keep doing until covered. 

The trick is the primer, I use a rattle can and just coat the model, this binds and seals the sand coat. Once dry you can paint, airbrush, sponge and colours you like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eddiesolo said:

Glad to know you will give it ago.

The skill is is paint finish and weathering. The basic technique is so simple, you can make the model a glue bomb as it will be covered, just use a paintbrush and add the undiluted PVA, do in sections and then use fine sand, or something similar and just pour on, just build up any areas and keep doing until covered. 

The trick is the primer, I use a rattle can and just coat the model, this binds and seals the sand coat. Once dry you can paint, airbrush, sponge and colours you like.

Thank you for that extra information. I’m thinking of doing a Sherman DD tank on the bottom of the sea off the Normandy beach. 

• Like 1

Well that's different looks like something you would see on the TV programme Drain the Oceans great effects with the rust and the seaweed and slime. 👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thank you for that extra information. I’m thinking of doing a Sherman DD tank on the bottom of the sea off the Normandy beach. 

My pleasure mate, funnily enough, I did a 1/35 pacific Sherman that got stranded. It was left and the tide claimed it then it got stranded more inshore as the beach built up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Well that's different looks like something you would see on the TV programme Drain the Oceans great effects with the rust and the seaweed and slime. 👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Thank you Mr Beefy. I know the program you mean, good stuff and enjoyed it. Glad you like it and no CG in sight.

8 hours ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

Impressive work sir.

Many thanks Brian, glad you enjoyed looking and many thanks for popping by.

3 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Cheers Mick, really appreciate you stopping by, pleased you enjoyed my work.