Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 November 1992

Hi all,

In November 1992 a large airshow was held at Auckland International Airport here in New Zealand called Air Expo 92. It featured the typical fare like a mock WW1 dogfight, warbirds of various stripes strutting their stuff, as well as various civil and military flying displays...all programmed to accommodate scheduled passenger services! I know several people who attended this wonderful weekend but I was only five and didn't get to go, however an official VHS was produced and a trimmed-down version was broadcast on TV (keep an eye out for the terrific RNZAF recruitment advert at 41:27):

My Mum recorded the show and as a kid it was one of several videos on high rotation in our house, and did much to inform my love of certain aircraft.

Several overseas aircraft were stars of the show: a Bede BD-5J imported from the USA, a Beriev A-40 Albatross/Mermaid, and an Ilyushin Il-76...which arrived carrying RAF Harrier GR.3 ZD668, the display of which was for many was the big highlight of the event. Photos taken by Phillip Treweek are available on his website Kiwi Aircraft images, here's one showing a pilot's name under the canopy rail (more on this later):

ZD668 Auckland International 1192 Phillip Treweek

Flown by Sqn Ldr Ashley Stevenson, many people maintain to this day it's the noisiest single-engined aircraft to ever appear at a New Zealand airshow! For those who keep track of such things this aircraft is now on static display at the Yanks Air Museum at Chino. As some of you may know already, or have learned from the video, Sqn Ldr Stevenson had quite an eventful time on Harriers:

Ashley Stevenson 01 Ashley Stevenson 02 

Ashley Stevenson 03

Understandably the story behind the pilot and aeroplane fascinated young Zac, and I decided should I ever build a GR.3 it would be this one. Last year I acquired the lovely new-tool Airfix 1/72 kit from a couple of years back and imagine my surprise when I discovered Xtradecals sheet X72186 contained decals for ZD668 in 1993! The only thing missing to make a replica of her as seen during her Kiwi sojurn was Sqn Ldr IA MacDonald's name, which was kindly printed by a friend. 

Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 Air Expo 92 Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 Air Expo 92 Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 Air Expo 92 Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 Air Expo 92 Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 Air Expo 92

So although I wasn't there this was a very formative airshow for me and one of the first times I saw a Harrier in action, so nearly 30yr on it's wonderful to have ZD668 on display!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 29

• k5054nz changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.3 ZD668 November 1992
12 hours ago, Ian said:

Nicely done young Padwan... need to work on those underside joints tho'

Thank you Master (rewatching The Clone Wars now I have access to Disney+ and The Final Season). Good point, in my defence I let my excitement get away with me!

• 1 year later...

Beautiful Harrier! Sorry for the response to an older post, but had to share my admiration.

I was just searching to see if decals were available for ZD668, for the same reason. I was at the show as a 10 year old, and have a pretty strong memory of the entire display including a rolling landing and the famous hovering bow. I don’t remember ever hearing a louder aircraft.

I also recall seeing it in a diamond formation with A-4Ks, and thinking it looked huge and bulky in comparison. It’s always quite counterintuitive to hear Harriers described as ‘compact’!

Now I know Xtradecal do a sheet, I just need to find a Beriev A-40 in 1/72..

Edit- just watched the attached film, talk about false memories- I remember the Harrier looking twice as big next to the Skyhawks! What I wouldn’t give to take my son to an airshow like that..

also can’t believe they let the A-40 hoon around in the Waitemata like that! The Beaver floatplane used to look cramped enough.

Edited by Karearea

Lovely feature. I enjoyed the video. Some great action, especially the A-4 Kahus with the Harrier at the end. The kind of shows I remember.

As for the Harrier build, a fine effort and a nice memento of 1992.

Lovely story and a handsome model Zac. I saw a Harrier display at Duxford way back in the 1970s and have loved the type ever since. I really must investigate the new Airfix kit! 

Richie

I missed this thread the first time around. Great idea for a subject. The video was interesting, even the now dated commercials. 

I agree that a Harrier hovering was one of the loudest noises ever experienced. The last time I heard it was at our local seaside air display. The noise was intense. Sadly that was the last time I saw a Harrier fly.

As for the ejection story, a friend of mine also ejected from a Harrier, told me he'd flown with Kate Saunders in the back previously without incident.  During the briefing he advised that he would shout eject,eject,eject if something went wrong but failing that she should eject if she saw his boots passing by in front of her.

He met her after the accident and she told him she remembered the advice, saw the boots and ejected. She was very lucky to survive. 

Edited by noelh