Long Wheelbase Land Rover

On 11/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, Courageous said:

I believe that this kit was first produced by JB Models and I have that kit under construction but stalled as we speak. Carry on, you can never have too many braille AFV builds.

Stuart

You're correct Stuart it's the JB Models kit reboxed by Airfix, like a number of the JB Models kits. I've made a couple of the Vickers Light Tanks for an MTO GB. 

On 11/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, simmerit said:

It’s a 109. I seem to recollect through the dim and distant haze of time we sometimes called them 3/4 tonners.  Anyway it’s a 109 with skanky (as the Mrs calls them)!

Thanks for the info, I know there's a multitude of Land Rover models, the real ones that is. I'm just going to build it out of the box with probably a likely fictitious livery. 

I'm mainly an aircraft modeller but do have a liking for small scale AFVs, especially Western Desert machines. I've never done an AFV WIP although I've done some in Group Builds. I've seen the quality of the builds here and I know I'm not at theta level so be kind to me. Although any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received. 

I got this kit a while ago but obviously since Airfix took over the JB range. I'm going to build it as Royal Navy Land Rover to complement my FAA models. There are some transfers for an RN option in the kit but the paint instructions suggest a reem vehicle but I would think a dark navy blue more appropriate. I remember being at BB camp in Lossiemouth in 1968 and there were loads of dark blue Navy Land Rovers buzzing around, including a number of occasions when a couple of Officers came to invite us to use the base's facilities. 

Anyway to the model. Two sprues in nicely moulded, though slightly chunky grey plastic, one has the Land Rover and the other the trailer. Also a clear sprue with windscreen, door windows and the whole rear end. That'll need some careful masking. 

resized_404f6e52-0a4c-4f56-a365-d61ab2af

Airfix style instructions. 

resized_b29799db-9ab3-4390-866f-95336b5e

resized_3e17ae2e-c36f-4463-9720-68692b08

Original JB Models style paint instructions and small transfer sheet for four options. 

resized_01fada62-c60f-48d8-97cd-0e5a2b72

resized_5da47687-ec8c-47dc-a6df-ef6e62c1

• Like 4

To start I've built the trailer, which went together fine. Just needed a little care and a quick swipe with a sanding stick on the mating surfaces. No flash and minimal seams. Quite small and nicely detailed, albeit a little chunky. It's going to have the tarpaulin so no need to worry about the interior detail. 

resized_d54aa4c1-86cc-4a09-9288-d2d2f96f

I've got some paint on the Land Rover while still on the sprue. Interior Hu103 Cream and the outside a base coat of Citadel Kantar Blue which is a bit bright and light but a finish coat of a darker blue will get it close to the right shade. 

resized_8139e966-ca86-42f9-bc85-08ae882d

Trailer too

resized_1bc34419-5033-4566-ad9b-e1e27cc3

• Like 4

A couple of thin coats of Citadel Leviadon Blue then a couple of coats of Kleer give us a smooth very dark navy finish. Ready now for assembly. 

resized_32c17303-bc2b-4757-89c4-be4f9cfc

Time to get the cutters and glue out. 

• Like 4

Wheels and top on the trailer. Effectively finished apart from some touching up and the addition of the transfers. 

resized_998288cf-697e-4941-a1dc-5aba098b

Started on the body of the Land Rover. The cab is a bit bare so I've fabricated a gear stick and brake handle from wire. There's a blob of Kristal Klear on the top of the gear stick. All gone together quite quickly and the plastic takes TET well and sticks in seconds.  I've filled the lining of the window openings using a black Sharpie. I'll touch up the paint before adding the windows, which have already been dipped in Kleer. 

resized_ad059a80-09f1-4883-956b-d32f98a8

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 825 said:

Started on the body of the Land Rover.

It looks like you've painted the interior some colour other than green. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the same kit on the go and I posted a relevant question on interior colours of British soft skins, including Land Rovers and got the answer of Bronze Green and later IRR/NATO Green. Not too late to correct it if you so wish.

Stuart

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

It looks like you've painted the interior some colour other than green. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the same kit on the go and I posted a relevant question on interior colours of British soft skins, including Land Rovers and got the answer of Bronze Green and later IRR/NATO Green. Not too late to correct it if you so wish.

Stuart

Series 3 109 is borderline on the timeline for  Bronze Green.  I don't remember ever seeing one in Bronze Green back in the day, although that (sadly) was 1982......

Safe bet is NATO green interior and either NATO green exterior of NATO green and black.  Same with the Skanky (as the mrs calls them)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, MWD said:

I'm about to start this kit and came across this post.

I made this kit a while back, in standard British Army green and black camo. There was no WiP but the RFI is linked here. The wheels look a little small and the front lights are all wrong, but both of these are easily fixable.

On 1/21/2022 at 11:08 AM, Natter said:

I made this kit a while back, in standard British Army green and black camo. There was no WiP but the RFI is linked here. The wheels look a little small and the front lights are all wrong, but both of these are easily fixable.

That's pretty cool looking especially the antenna mounts on the wings

• Thanks 1