Wobblin Goblin's are still flying

bentwaters81tfw

Retired, but still flying - a contradiction in terms lol! I don't honestly believe the type ever retired. Its far easier to conceal their activities flying out of Tonopah, indeed, they operated out of there for almost 3 years before being revealed to Joe public!!

No surprises really. The B-117 is still used for dissimilar combat training specifically because of its levels of stealth and how it represents a few "other countries" levels of stealth in their top-line aircraft.

I was poking around on giggle Earth the other day, and noted that the hangars and equipment at Tonopah appear to have gone (or someone has done a nice photoshop job on the area...).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

I was poking around on giggle Earth the other day, and noted that the hangars and equipment at Tonopah appear to have gone (or someone has done a nice photoshop job on the area...).

Did you look at Tonopah Airport, or Tonopah Test Range? That is south east of Tonopah Airport, and the hangars are still showing clearly. Not as if they are secret anymore.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:03 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Did you look at Tonopah Airport, or Tonopah Test Range? That is south east of Tonopah Airport, and the hangars are still showing clearly. Not as if they are secret anymore.

Looks like I viewed the airport! The runway heading looks similar...😢

TTR seems to have become bigger. There should be some of the Nighthawks buried underground somewhere there too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 5:38 AM, hairystick said:

Looks like I viewed the airport! The runway heading looks similar...😢

TTR seems to have become bigger. There should be some of the Nighthawks buried underground somewhere there too.

Lots of new construction happening at all the bases that house "special" aircraft.   Your guess is as good as mine as far as what they are supporting.   The construction program that I'm really curious about is what they are doing with the old Space Shuttle processing facility at Vandenburg AFB.  Something that requires very high security is going in there.  V-burg is the perfect spot to discretely launch aircraft out over the ocean with minimal witnesses.   

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 4:11 AM, 11bravo said:

Lots of new construction happening at all the bases that house "special" aircraft.   Your guess is as good as mine as far as what they are supporting.   The construction program that I'm really curious about is what they are doing with the old Space Shuttle processing facility at Vandenburg AFB.  Something that requires very high security is going in there.  V-burg is the perfect spot to discretely launch aircraft out over the ocean with minimal witnesses.   

With the B21 programme, perhaps there is something related to that?

Also, for all of the "stealthy" airframes, there is the need to protect the paint. Any degradation affects the radar returns, so keeping the surface coatings in good condition becomes a major issue. The F-35's on the carriers have extra maintenance issues, not only in the sea environment but also in the hangar space required to work on the paint coating.

• Like 1