NA P-51D Mustang LOU IV ( ATHELENE )

The model is a new Eduard release in 1:48 scale. Painting widely discussed on many forums, i.e. a plane from 375 Squadron 361st Fighter Group stationed in England, piloted by Col. Thomas J.J. Christian Jr. bearing proper name LOU IV. They are all based on a photograph taken around 1944 of four Mustangs from this unit flying in formation. So far, it has not been possible to clearly define what colors the plane was in, the vast majority of modellers make it in (except for the yellow nose) one or two-color camouflage based on green. Such a scheme is promoted by modeling companies that released replicas of this plane. However, I chose to base myself on Dan Bell's analysis based on the original slide http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell7db_1.htm. So, treat this model as a reflection of this concept and as one of the proposals for painting this machine.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Excellent representation of Lou IV! When I built mine years ago I came to the same conclusion regarding colours, but chose a bit more greyish than blueish overpaint. We will never know for sure...

There is one point that you might consider correcting - the rear of the canopy sits firmly on the fuselage when open. Easy correction, and it would look even more authentic.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 2

Lovely looking Mustang, love the little details, fuel pipelines etc. How did you find the build? Recently built one and found attachment points of drop tanks and undercarriage a challenge as they were far from positive!

• Like 1

Superb work, love your attention to detail.

Like Michael says the canopy should sit down on the fuselage as the mechanism which opens the canopy is attached at the back of it so the canopy slides along the top of the fuselage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Lovely looking Mustang, love the little details, fuel pipelines etc. How did you find the build? Recently built one and found attachment points of drop tanks and undercarriage a challenge as they were far from positive!

Thanks, I have looked at many photos of this plane and other Mustangs of this type and this is the effect.

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Like Michael says the canopy should sit down on the fuselage as the mechanism which opens the canopy is attached at the back of it so the canopy slides along the top of the fuselage.

Yes you are right, I checked it and correct it in my free time. Thank you for your attention. I obviously missed this detail.

• Like 1