Supermarine Spitfire mkVII

Threadbear

Hello, I haven`t done a build recently, so decided to join with the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa Mk9 Spitfire in /48th scale using a Brengun resin and etch conversion of a MkVII along with the DK decals. I haven`t decided on a scheme yet but have always liked the medium sea grey and PRU blue scheme for high altitude operations. So will undoubtedly go with one of those. 

Either MD120 "Spirit of Kent" or coded "PB". 

Thanks for looking...

Grahame 

Spitfire-VIIb.jpg

Spitfire-VII.jpg

Spitfire-VIIC.jpg

Spitfire-VIIe.jpg

Spitfire-VII-decalsa.jpg

Spitfire-VII-decals.jpg

• Like 3

Made a start on the Spitfire VII with Brengun conversion this afternoon, assembling the wings, which proved no problem and offering up the extended wingtips. There is a bit of a ridge underneath, the wings being slightly thicker than the resin tips! May prove problematic to eliminate? 

Also I removed the cockpit door hinge and filled the door joints based on the drawings in the DK Decals. Then later checking my references on the book shelf I found that it appears MkVIIs retained the cockpit door despite having pressurized cockpits?  

is there any evidence of door less MkVIIs? Or is a simple cases of rescribing the door? 

Spitfire-VIIf.jpg

Regards Grahame 

• Like 1

Nice to see you getting started with this one Grahame. Not sure about the door situation on Mk.VII but hopefully the tip thickness change isn't too noticeable if restricted to the underside and a skim of filler applied.

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice to see you getting started with this one Grahame. Not sure about the door situation on Mk.VII but hopefully the tip thickness change isn't too noticeable if restricted to the underside and a skim of filler applied.

Exactly what I plan to do! In hindsight I could thinned the inside of the wings before gluing them together! 

• Like 1

A shame about the mismatch on the wing tip. I know resin is a bit unpredictable with shrinkage. When I have had similar issues I have used white Miliput to fair stuff in as it is very low shrink, sticks well to plastic if the surface is roughened a bit and can sanded to very smooth finish. 

Assembled the cockpit today of the Hasegawa MkIX along with photoetched specific parts from the Brengun set for the MkVII. Arent Spitfire cockpits fiddly! 

Spitfire-G.jpg

Spitfire-H.jpg

Regards Grahame 

Edited by Threadbear
No pix
  • Like 4

On 26/11/2020 at 23:04, Threadbear said:

Then later checking my references on the book shelf I found that it appears MkVIIs retained the cockpit door despite having pressurized cockpits? 

No,  Pressurised cockpit = no door, which makes sense as it makes sealing the cockpit easier.  The only surviving Mk.VII is at the Smithsonian 

deliveryService?id=NASM-A19600331000-NAS

A19600331000%20pano.JPG&max=900

from   https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/supermarine-spitfire-hf-mk-viic/nasm_A19600331000

which has some more pics, not seen the close up canopy shots before either.

EDIT - a quick check shows the Brengun set lacks a new canopy,  as the above shows,  it's not a standard Spitfire canopy. 

I know the Mk.VII had two types.  To do with the rails,  Can't remember the detail right now.

AH

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/spitfire-mk-viic-no-cockpit-door-t226822.html

"On the Mk.VI and early VIIs (I think NASM's is "early", but don't remember offhand) the hood had to be "bolted" down, and sometimes the aircraft were flown with the hood left off. Later VIIs, PR.Xs, and PR.XIXs (except the early ones that were unpressurized) had the external rails for a sliding hood, as Jun's photo shows. They could be jettisoned- the rails were spring loaded and would "pop" outboard (hinged on lower edge), releasing the hood.

bob"

later sliding type

web-2_zpsstfxn1qs.jpg

AFAIK, the rear portion is the same as on a PR XIX

and

pics have gone though.

• Like 2

Put on some Humbrol 78 on my VII this afternoon through my Badger 105. Laid down well despite it turned out one of the drain valves on my compressor was open. Here are a couple of lousy photos taken on my IPhone in the shed! Looks like the cockpit door cover plate could do with a touch up! 

Spitfire-J.jpg

Spitfire-K.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Grahame 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Threadbear said:

Put on some Humbrol 78 on my VII this afternoon through my Badger 105. Laid down well despite it turned out one of the drain valves on my compressor was open. Here are a couple of lousy photos taken on my IPhone in the shed! Looks like the cockpit door cover plate could do with a touch up! 

Spitfire-J.jpg

wheel wells.

Much argued about.  but from photos, the outer wheel part is underside colour, the inner leg part, interior colour, which, apart from the cockpit and engine bearers,  was aluminium paint.  Inside of rads is underside colour. 

In the case of non pressurised Spitfires, the aluminium paint starts from behind the seat bulkhead,  but in this case I suspect  all visible is grey green.

• Like 1