Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B Bubbletop canopy.

27 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice paint job, always liked this stage in an aircraft build, painted, unmasked and ready to have some fun with.:pilot:

Atb

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl. 

The next step is a bit of a worry, are my measurements and calculations correct for the invasion stripes? 🤔

p?i=0ca3d4989505c2a9ac7507b63390245e

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Cheers Darryl. 

The next step is a bit of a worry, are my measurements and calculations correct for the invasion stripes? 🤔

Just went through that myself on a Seafire this weekend.  

For a 1/48 aircraft 9.5mm per stripe I calculated.  I used 2mm tape to mark the edges inside the white stripe and a frequently checked with a locked set of dividers to make sure they remained parallel.  Then filled in with 6mm tape.  I mainly got away with it..

Good luck Roger, you’ll get it sorted..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Good luck Roger, you’ll get it sorted

Thanks very much.

Great tip too but I did wonder how I could get a pair of dividers..... thankfully it only took a couple of seconds for the penny to drop....... chart table drawer on the bridge. 😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Roger

How many coats if white did it take to cover the camo colours?

James

Thanks James.

I think I must have given it three or four coats of white. I use Gunze paint thinned with Levelling thinners,  by the time I'd sprayed all of the white it was dry enough to start again so I didn't really take much notice. 

Roger. 

• Like 1

Fuselage bands and invasion stripes are usually the first part of my painting process after priming.

Spray the white, mask that, spray the black, mask that, then leave well alone until the rest of the paint jobs finished then remove and weather the whole beastie as required.

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Fuselage bands and invasion stripes are usually the first part of my painting process after priming.

Spray the white, mask that, spray the black, mask that, then leave well alone until the rest of the paint jobs finished then remove and weather the whole beastie as required.

Tom

It never occurred to me to do it that way Tom. Painting the basic scheme, then the stripes, band etc in the sequence it would have been done on the real thing seems like the logical way. However I'm prepared to accept what might seem logical might not be the easiest way. 

I might give that method a try on my next stripey build.

Roger. 

• Like 2

On 21/07/2020 at 08:02, Roger Newsome said:

Great tip too but I did wonder how I could get a pair of dividers..... thankfully it only took a couple of seconds for the penny to drop....... chart table drawer on the bridge. 😄

Isn't that a keel-hauling offence?  As you can tell, Roger, I have just found your thread.  Not a motor bike and sidecar then?

I always paint the invasion stripes first and then the camo on the rest of the airframe.

On 19/07/2020 at 21:39, Roger Newsome said:

Well I'd say that was a fairly productive Sunday.

p?i=d32b1f3250bce369d43cc16a10edc069

Roger, I'm intrigued, I have the Eduard boxing of this kit, and it came with their Brassin Tempest tailplanes, but their resin tailpalanes are longer than the fairings on the fuselage, but yours do not look any longer?   Confused of Bedale

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Isn't that a keel-hauling offence?  As you can tell, Roger, I have just found your thread.  Not a motor bike and sidecar then?

I always paint the invasion stripes first and then the camo on the rest of the airframe.

Not a goulash kanone either, although goulash is on the menu for lunch here..... after the keel hauling.

I'm going to have to try this alternative stripe method aren't I?

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Roger, I'm intrigued, I have the Eduard boxing of this kit, and it came with their Brassin Tempest tailplanes, but their resin tailpalanes are longer than the fairings on the fuselage, but yours do not look any longer?   Confused of Bedale

Hm, I dont know. Would it help if I photographed the kit tailplanes laid on top?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

I paint the leading edge yellow immediately after the stripes, mask and ignore for the rest of the painting.

Tom

That's the method I used on my last Typhoon and in hindsight the better way of doing it. If only I'd remembered. 

7 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I'm going to have to try this alternative stripe method aren't I?

Too late for that. 😁

7 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Hm, I dont know. Would it help if I photographed the kit tailplanes laid on top?

Here are the Eduard Brassin parts attached to the fuselage, as you can see the elevator sticks out beyond the tailplane fairing. :hmmm:

https://flic.kr/p/2jpjGhj  

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Too late for that. 

Not on another kit it's not! 😄

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Here are the Eduard Brassin parts attached to the fuselage, as you can see the elevator sticks out beyond the tailplane fairing. :hmmm:

I can't see it Bob, flikr is blocked here. Pretty frustrating really seeing as most of the photos on Britmodeller are hosted by flikr. 😣

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Newsome said:

I can't see it Bob, flikr is blocked here. Pretty frustrating really seeing as most of the photos on Britmodeller are hosted by flikr. 😣

Must be a problem, I replied earlier earlier today but the post was lost, and now the photo will not load, I'll try again.

IMG_1346

Seems to have worked now, how strange.

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Must be a problem, I replied earlier earlier today but the post was lost, and now the photo will not load, I'll try again.

IMG_1346

Seems to have worked now, how strange.

It's no good Bob, it's not possible to get anything from flikr on the ships internet.

1 minute ago, Roger Newsome said:

It's no good Bob, it's not possible to get anything from flikr on the ships internet.

You will just have to get the ships cat to run faster on the treadmill. 😁

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

You will just have to get the ships cat to run faster on the treadmill. 😁

We could put Usain Bolt on it but we still wouldn't get flikr.

There must be too much subversive content for us.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I will describe the picture (until you come back to civilisation)  The leading edge of the tailplane is in line with the fuselage fairing but the trailing edge of the elevator extends beyond the fairing, level with the rudder line.  Or basically it sticks out at the back.  :whistle:

26 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I will describe the picture (until you come back to civilisation)  The leading edge of the tailplane is in line with the fuselage fairing but the trailing edge of the elevator extends beyond the fairing, level with the rudder line.  Or basically it sticks out at the back.  :whistle:

Does this help Bob...

p?i=0e9368b93e4aff578c5a0f057f58533b

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Does this help Bob...

Well, yours are bigger than the standard Typhoon tailplanes, but the Eduard ones are longer at the rear edge, if that makes sense.