Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B Bubbletop canopy.

Hi Roger, nice choice of project. Great kit just be careful with the inserts around the cockpit. If memory serves, it's been at least 10yrs since I built one, I found it easier to fit them to each fuselage half before joining the two halves together leaving just one one gap to treat on the top. Hope this makes sense!

Have a good trip. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Roger, nice choice of project. Great kit just be careful with the inserts around the cockpit. If memory serves, it's been at least 10yrs since I built one, I found it easier to fit them to each fuselage half before joining the two halves together leaving just one one gap to treat on the top. Hope this makes sense!

Have a good trip. 

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl. You've got a better memory than me. I built the car door version not that long ago and I can't remember how I did it. 😄

Thanks for the tip, it makes perfect sense.

Roger. 

• Like 1

Must have missed t'other one. For its age it's a nice kit, I've the Italeri boxing of it stashed away somewhere. 

I keep toying with the big Airfix one, bought in a moment of weakness when going cheap, just not convinced I could do it justice, or have the patience.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

..... just not convinced I could do it justice, or have the patience.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Actually the worst thing is it'll stay in the box without being finished.

This is where I am. Cockpit assembled and primed...

p?i=25ca4608a5a904299ea50665b5097e70

Painting the details is going to involve some tricky brushwork but I'm really averse to painting sub assemblies and then putting them together.

The fuselage halves have been temporarily taped together while the inserts have been cemented into position. Once set I'll split the fuselage again and fill and fettle the insert joins.

p?i=ec1490ca53e114f0cc653bf0dbe34a0d

Roger. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

What's the worst thing that can happen? Actually the worst thing is it'll stay in the box without being finished.

True, but..I dont like being beaten by big box of plastic!

And at my rate it would take years to complete, one day I'll take the plunge, might save it for winter.

Always liked the Typhoon, looking forward to seeing yours done.

Atb

Darryl 

Coming along nice...........just wrapped up the camo painting on mine yesterday.  Pretty decent kit over all, fit wise.   Except these separate fuselage/upper cockpit pieces.  Had to do quite a bit of work to smooth those out.

9 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Coming along nice...........just wrapped up the camo painting on mine yesterday.  Pretty decent kit over all, fit wise.   Except these separate fuselage/upper cockpit pieces.  Had to do quite a bit of work to smooth those out.

Thanks very much. I hope I've done enough smoothing out to make them disappear, time will tell.

Roger. 

• Like 1

Cracking along Roger,  replacement tail planes too. Been a while since looked at wingy things, are they Tempest ones as fitted to late Typhoons?

Takes me back, smooth shiney Hasegawa plastic, them where the days....

23 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Cheers Darryl.

If you think that Airfix Typhoon will take you years the sooner you make a start the better, not sure I'm doing a good job of encouraging you to give it a go but I'm trying. 😄

Roger. 

Ever considered a career as a motivational speaker.....🤣

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Yes Darryl, they're the larger Tempest tailplanes, a really good fit too.

Motivational speaker? Hmm, that's a good idea. Have you got that big Airfix Typhoon out yet? You paid good money for that and it's sat in a box!!!! 😃

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Yes Darryl, they're the larger Tempest tailplanes, a really good fit too.

Motivational speaker? Hmm, that's a good idea. Have you got that big Airfix Typhoon out yet? You paid good money for that and it's sat in a box!!!! 😃

Leave the big Typhoon alone, its helping to insulate the loft!🤣 (they were cheap, and then cheaper still so I bought.... 🤫)

I've got 4 builds on the go at present and the next has to a new genre for me.

The present Mrs M bought me a floating thing as a pressie a few weeks ago and I've promised that's next (Think Iceberg and 1912 and you'll have it). Never tried a boat before...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Leave the big Typhoon alone, its helping to insulate the loft!🤣 (they were cheap, and then cheaper still so I bought.... 🤫)

I've got 4 builds on the go at present and the next has to a new genre for me.

The present Mrs M bought me a floating thing as a pressie a few weeks ago and I've promised that's next (Think Iceberg and 1912 and you'll have it). Never tried a boat before...

Some very good reasons to leave it where it is for the time being, I wont mention it again...... 7ntil an appropriate time has elapsed. 😁

Last leave I had seven projects underway at the same time, I wont be doing that again.

Despite a career at sea I've never had much interest in building ships. There's more than enough rigging and photo etch involved in aircraft models and can be avoided if you want, ships are a step to far.

• Like 1

I dont remember foing this much filling and sanding when I did the car door version to get the fuselage insert seams to disappear. There's still a trace too. 

A big chunk has been assembled and given a coat of Mr Finishing Surfacer....

p?i=1e67f0d394e52bb54fd960a2e22f417d

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I thought this was going to last 28 days. I haven't missed that much have I? :unsure: :D

Steve.

It really depends on how much actual work I plan to do, I've got a back up kit with me just in case it isn't much. 😄

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Coming along a pace Roger, nice work.

Good job you've brought a spare kit!

Cheers

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl. The invasion stripes should take me two or three days closer to going home. 😄

• Haha 1

Nice work Roger. 

This is is one of those kits that I have on my ‘really must get around to building one day’ list so it’s good to follow along and see how it goes together. 

James

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Roger. 

This is is one of those kits that I have on my ‘really must get around to building one day’ list so it’s good to follow along and see how it goes together. 

James

Thanks very much James, hopefully there'll be a further update this evening. 🙂

Roger. 

• Like 1