++++ Westland Scout ++++

The painting has been complete and the transfers on. They weren't at all that bad, I thought I'd have problems as they're not exactly new and the sides have quite pronounced ribs. But with warm water and setting solutions they were fine. 

resized_ea4402cd-a06a-464d-b01d-9a3e91a4

Canopy is also masked. It does need the interior of the roof painted with clear blue paint, I've got some but I'll have to have a rummage for it. Also the side window fit isn't great so once the transfers are set I'll see about addressing them. 

resized_843e0d42-22f3-4aaf-8e34-414c6028

• Like 8

On 6/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, modelling minion said:

The decals look like they have behaved themselves very well indeed and your Scout really is looking very nice indeed.

On 6/17/2020 at 6:47 PM, Dansk said:

Looking really good. Its so impressive considering the size and scale when looking at the masking etc.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:52 PM, Hewy said:

A smashing job on a british helicopter icon well painted ,and tiny in 1/72, 

Thanks Guys the Scout is coming together quite well. 

I've added some clear blue paint to the canopy interior. I tested the paint on a piece of scrap just to make sure. 

resized_432ace7c-5b41-4417-ad77-8a590560

The fit isnt isn't at all bad, and a lot better than I expected. This is just popped on and I'll glue it in a little while. 

resized_efa7b410-e279-44b8-9b4f-60314bec

• Like 7

The canopy needed a bit of work to smooth it in, painstaking rather than difficult. The frames are pa Need and the front end of the chopper has been given a coat of matt varnish. I have started to assemble the engine deck and will pop the engine on once I've decided what further detailing to do. I've scavenged some fine copper wire from the lead of a microwave were chucking out and I have some 3amp fusewire so I should Ben able to make a fist of some wiring/piping, but don't know what and how much. I'll need to have another look at the walkaround as well as the images on google. 

resized_3b3821e0-6504-46b8-b1de-30477684

Hopefully a better photo.  

Edited by 825
Replaced photo
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Dansk said:

It’s really coming along, cant wait to see what you do with the wires.

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Same here, I'm looking forward to you plumbing your Nimbus, not a euphemism!

Thanks, I'm looking at photos and think I'll go for a reasonable scale representation rather than an absolute replica. 

• Like 1

The skids are on and given an initial coat of paint. They were not nearly as fiddly as I thought and although they look quite fragile they are actually quite strong and certainly take the weight of the airframe and the etch without any problem. 

resized_501679ba-0130-49b7-880c-d91f7e05

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see her on her skids, she really does look very nice indeed. 

Thanks MM

• Like 1

Thanks @Dansk  it is coming along bit by bit. 

The masking is off and by and by it it will pass muster. There's a little bit of tidying up needed but it's so how and humid today that touching anything for more than a few seconds leaves sweat and greas marks so I'll hold till it's cooler. I have been working on the rotors and they're just about done. 

resized_4ab58951-b037-4f2a-9294-4a67e261

I'm not 100% sure of what colour the canopy should be. Most of the pictures I looked at originally showed it to be blue so that's how I did it. Now when I've been looking at pictures to detail the Nimbus, most suggest black. Well it's well and truly stuck on and so blue is what it'll be. At least it's not green which I know they definitely weren't. 

• Like 9

Top canopy could be a tad darker but that's OK.

If you haven't already done so, do a search for the Historic Army Aircraft Flight, one of the engineering team is a keen photographer and closet modeller so the web site has plenty of detail photographs of the Scout, Beaver, Sioux, Auster Mk 9, Skeeter, Chipmunk and Tiger Moth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

Top canopy could be a tad darker but that's OK.

If you haven't already done so, do a search for the Historic Army Aircraft Flight, one of the engineering team is a keen photographer and closet modeller so the web site has plenty of detail photographs of the Scout, Beaver, Sioux, Auster Mk 9, Skeeter, Chipmunk and Tiger Moth.

I did have a look at the HAAF website and found it very useful it certainly helped with interior colours and there were shots looking into the cockpit and the roof panels looked blue. I was a bit wary of making it too dark but perhaps I should've. The HAAF website is really good for AAC photos. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:24 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! Nice work on the glazing too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

On 6/28/2020 at 7:09 AM, Hewy said:

Smashing job 👍, about time a major manufacturer kitted the  westland wasp and scout in 35th scale im sure they would sell like the proverbial hot cake

Thanks @Hewy though I'd be happy with a new Scout and a Wasp in 1:72. I can see the attraction of a Scout in 1:35 to complement tanks and AFVs though. I've a Wasp conversion planned using the Air-Graphics conversion set but I reckon it will still be a fair bit of work. 

I've added most of the sticky out bits and got the basic Nimbus into place which I'll let dry before adding some wiring. 

resized_f31a8111-4218-4f6e-b669-e0b89373

Somehow along the way the tail skid and pitot have gone AWOL!  Looks like out with the plastic rod. 

• Like 12

To me, the Nimbus looks pretty good without any more detail, when you consider how tiny it is. The model already looks like a busy little gem. But if you gotta detail, you gotta detail!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, modelling minion said:

Nice progress, good to see the Nimbus in place.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, AdrianMF said:

To me, the Nimbus looks pretty good without any more detail, when you consider how tiny it is. The model already looks like a busy little gem. But if you gotta detail, you gotta detail!

Regards,

Adrian

The engine deck was looking a little forlorn without the Nimbus and it has filled up quite a bit once it's on. From my reading of Scout builds I'd always thought the engine was a bit stark and lacking in detail but it's actually not too bad. It has a lot of cleaning up and I spent a fair amount of time painting and dry brushing it to get an effect beyond just slapping on some gunmetal paint. I think a little bit of detail rather than going to town. 

Ive also found the tail skid and re-attached it. And the pitot was there all the time, hidden underneath. 

• Like 2