Sci-fi floor tiles (Necromunda)

Hi folks,

I was rather lacking in time and mojo earlier in the year, but about halfway through the big NZ lockdown I got my brushes out and finished a figure, and then moved on to these tiles somewhat at random. Games Workshop sell them as something to use with their recent terrain for Necromunda, which is modular and fits into the tile tops. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but seeing the built and painted set in my local GW was a great sales tool 😛

The tiles I bought before that though, because I thought they'd be a great photo backdrop for 40K models, and maybe even for the Titanicus (small scale) stuff. They're a very (very!) simple build (open box, take out tiles) so obviously it was all about the painting. I was careful to leave scale cues off two of the tiles so they'd work for both scales, but couldn't resist adding some to the others.

49918675481_f857dba068_b.jpg

I used a bit of everything - Tamiya base colours, Citadel details, oils, enamels, and lots of Contrast paint (like acrylic inks) for glazes and filters. Someone on Instagram asked "what colours did you use" so for a laugh I wrote out all the steps and ended up with 70+ - and that was before I'd finished all the details.

49918160583_5af6bb81ab_b.jpg

49918674356_ae11935a8a_b.jpg
49918674801_e4a76d4511_b.jpg

I quite fancy getting another set and building some stuff up on them, but first I have the abovementioned modular scenery which I've built but not primed yet. I think it might be quite hard work as there are a lot of very similar pieces, but hopefully I can chip away at it over time.

49918161043_d57357f0d9_b.jpg

My '90s vintage Van Saar gang are a bit confused about all the changes from the original Necromunda scenery :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 26

Will, That's a very impressive display. Thanks for showing it.

I'm drawn to the tiles with the rust holes, very clever.

Are those blood stains on a couple of the others?

How big are these tiles, and I presume they are plastic?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

These are so nice. I love the faded blue, and the subtle tonal shifts you've got across the tiles.

Thanks Andy, I was worried for a while that they were too uniform and there was too much primer showing through, but adding brown/green/blue glazes to individual squares really helped break things up.

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Those would make great bases for Star Wars or other sci-fi models as well.

Yeah I thought they'd be a good general photography thing, although as you can see from the posed photo I can only fit one in my booth, the second one ends up angled up about 10' :)

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm drawn to the tiles with the rust holes, very clever.

Are those blood stains on a couple of the others?

How big are these tiles, and I presume they are plastic?

Cheers Pete, I didn't cut any holes although there's a guy in Glasgow making fantastic dioramas with these who went a lot further - I'll see if I can dig up the link for you. The darkest areas are supposed to be puddles although it doesn't show up very well from above.

There are indeed bloodstains, there's a character called Mad Donna in the original Necromunda backstory so they're a nod to her. These pics are from an earlier version, I ought to take some new ones of the details.

49843955798_2f80b503bd_b.jpg
49907220738_3d4ee1a5c9_b.jpg

The tiles are a foot square each, and yes, a single piece of styrene per tile so you can cut and glue them like normal. They're only about 5mm deep but there's a pattern of ribs on the back and they don't seem prone to warping.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Wow Will that's a heck of a paint job! Nice to see some more of your painting

Thanks, sorry it's been so long. I've got a couple of fantasy figures to post when I take some better pics, including this chap:

49808225476_3a488b9e56_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

On 5/23/2020 at 3:11 AM, Hunter Rose said:

Nice! And thanks for posting the close up of the vent that mossy mud is a really great detail

Cheers, I like adding green stuff as it's both easy and gives finer detail than you get in the plastic. Grass tufts are fantastic too but I can't use them on these as they'll get in the way of the wall pieces.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, mere_immortal said:

These are incredible! Especially love the variation in the yellow on the hazard stripes.

Thanks! I think it makes it easier to paint the yellow as you don't have to get it solid all over - if you shade the corners orangey and the middle tan, then the yellow looks much more vibrant than it otherwise would.

Will

• 1 year later...

Those are best painted Necromunda tiles I've ever seen. I make some terrains for Necromunda myself and would kill to know your recipe with exact paint names/symbols because I have a lot of paints (more than 400 now I believe) but not ones from Tamiya. Not sure if those base layers gave you that beautiful bluish tint you got on your photos but all I want now is to "steal this look" :). Here are my terrains:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vbizpr29bz00tur/AACeaMjgDXaMcA1mdNnLCkHGa?dl=0

• Like 1