1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR500 - '86 Wayne Gardner

Hi all, 

So this will be my first proper attempt at a bike kit. I had this way back when it first came out, back then my style of modelling was to glue it together and whack the decals on, no paint was involved.

Being an Aussie racing mad kid in the 80's meant one guy - Wayne Gardner. He finished second in the 500 World Championship in 1986 and went one better the following year. Big fan of the NSR too and I think it looks great in the iconic Rothmans livery.

The plan is to build it mostly out of the box with the addition of intake mesh and some PE fastners/nuts. This kit is probably circa late 80's so the kit decals are shot. I managed to find some by MSM but I'm not overly confident about them, I've read mixed reviews.

49808987653_7bfe2fc5d5_c.jpg

Here is the box along with some Gravity Spain Rothmans Blue and Titanium White for the bodywork. Gonna have a go at a 2K finish too, not tried this before. Also aforementioned MSM decals, which I am hoping won't be too pesky.

49809539146_fc35583e06_c.jpg

49809536376_c9574e939a_c.jpg

First up is the compact little V4 two stroke, added some mesh over the intakes for a bit more realism. all painted with Tamiya LP paints through an Iwata Eclipse 3.5. All good fun so far.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 7

More progress on the NSR today.

49812423983_e07dfd91b9_c.jpg

Plumbing and heatshield added to the engine.

49812966771_833509cf68_c.jpg

The frame took a bit of filling/sanding to get all the gaps filled. Then sprayed up in Tamiya LP Gloss Aluminium. I've had this motojig for while and thought it isn't suited to this stage of the build I may use it later.

49812419948_b004c562d5_c.jpg

49812417888_a3a851cfa0_c.jpg

49812970281_06331ed70b_c.jpg

Engine mounted into the frame and HT leads added. Really enjoying this one so far.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 2

Next step is the rear wheel/swingarm/shock assembly. 

49816435996_2314251e7c_c.jpg

49815898908_55104af70f_c.jpg

This all went together nicely. The rear wheel was finished in Gravity Titanium White and cleared with their 2k. It was my first time using the 2k, it is super, super sticky stuff and has a bit of a smell to it but otherwise is fantastic. Its a bit hard to see in the photo but the gloss looks great, very shiny!

49816741362_53dea88b3a_c.jpg

49816431021_c554d5bf97_c.jpg 

Swingarm was then screwed into the frame/engine. At this stage it all looks a bit out of proportion with the massive rear wheel making the engine look tiny.

The four expansion chambers/exhausts are next which is making me sweat as they are complex shapes. Fingers crossed they can be mounted without too many dramas.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 3

Lovely, clean work, all looking great!! Make sure you take adequate safety precautions when spraying the 2K clear. It's nasty stuff when breathed into the lungs. Looking forward to seeing that Gravity paints Rothmans Blue applied 😀

Excellent work so far I think I will follow along 👍As Steve mentioned above if you can smell the 2K clear then whatever safety precautions you are taking are not good enough. The 2K is extremely hazardous to your health so please re visit your safety equipment and upgrade it before you use this product again. Sorry for the lecture but your health is far more important than a nice glossy finish 

Regards Andy 

57 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Lovely, clean work, all looking great!! Make sure you take adequate safety precautions when spraying the 2K clear. It's nasty stuff when breathed into the lungs. Looking forward to seeing that Gravity paints Rothmans Blue applied 😀

Gents, thank you for the advice, and kind words, its great to see people looking out for each other!

I should have mentioned that I always wear a 3M 1/2 face vapour respirator when airbrushing, the 2K smell was noticed after I had cleaned up. Pretty nasty stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Motoholic said:

its great to see people looking out for each other!

Definitely one of the primary reasons I return.  Supportive, constructive criticisms.  That and a ton of advice (but you are doing just fine).   

Next up for the NSR is the 4 expansion chambers/silencers. These took a lot of work to get looking right, lots of seam lines, gaps and ejector pins to be corrected. There were then 4 different colours to be sprayed and masked. I was also very concerned with how they would fit. I tried to dry fit all 4 but it was impossible to get them to stay in place without another 2 sets of arms. 

49820540502_471e138eb4_c.jpg

Here they are finished and ready to fit. Looking at them here, its deceiving just how much work these took to get looking right.

49820538077_0c208f74f1_c.jpg

The 2 on the right side go in first and they were pretty easy to get lined up. The angle isn't perfect but otherwise look symmetrical. There are minimal tolerances everywhere, they run very close to each other and the engine and frame.

49819684623_cebf357259_c.jpg

The 2 on the left however were a different story and sit too close to the swingarm. Due to the shape and congestion there is just no room to move so you are left with no choice. They also touch at the silencers which isn't ideal. I'd be interested to know if others have had the same problem, especially with the later re-release of this kit - the Factory Colour NSR500

49820229271_4d159c95a3_c.jpg

Advice here for anyone building this: The last chamber to go in is by far the trickiest (Closest to rear wheel). It is a super snug fit, whilst dry fitting it snapped into place in such a way that I dare not remove it, it sits so tightly that no glue is needed. You can also see here where they touch the swingarm. Getting these suckers in place without damaging paint or breaking anything was the crux of the build so far. I'm a little bummed but it comes down to kit limitations, not much more I could do.

I'm glad this step is over, onto the radiator/plumbing next.

Cheers
Andy

Edited by Motoholic
Typo
  • Like 4

I built this bike many years ago when it was first released for a friend and I remember what a pain these were to fit. You made a very nice job of both the painting and the fitting. I don't think it's possible to get an absolutely perfect alignment, with all the pipes symmetrical, but you're 99.9% spot on with them, well done!!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your build so far infact the total opposite superb work so far. I have a feeling this is gonna be a cracker when finished looking forward to the next installment 👍

Nice work on the build so far, looking forward to seeing it finished. 

Interestingly, the stand you’re using came up on an add on my phone when I browsing, look like it works well.

Edited by JonD999

7 hours ago, Andy J said:

I never said he wasn't right?

Andy - You seemed disappointed with the placement of the pipes.  I was agreeing with Steve and reassuring you they are 99.99% right and look awesome.  Continue the excellent build.  

JCH

2 hours ago, JCH said:

Andy - You seemed disappointed with the placement of the pipes. 

No no, not at all, I was a little bummed but not disappointed. No kit is perfect and this is no exception. You can only work with what you have.

For the record I'm super happy with the way this is progressing, my best work by a long way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JonD999 said:

Interestingly, the stand you’re using came up on an add on my phone when I browsing, look like it works well.

Haha, Big brother is watching.... The motojig comes in very handy at times. I've had this one for a few years. The new ones are very flash with carbon rails and anodised adjusters, bling!

It's radiator day! 

49824814736_ffe1885e99_c.jpg

Gave it some panel line wash to give it more depth. It slotted in nicely along with a bit more plumbing, steering dampner, footpegs and dash.

49825140252_bec023b570_c.jpg

49825138327_1a57a96ec1_c.jpg

49825136307_7c20f65d96_c.jpg

This only leaves the front end on the mechanical side of things before I tackle the bodywork.

Cheers
Andy

• Like 5

Radiator looks fantastic, the wash brings out the detail beautifully!! Looking forward to seeing you tackle the bodywork. Always my favourite part, especially seeing that Rothmans Blue. I've got a Subaru Legacy in my stash that it just may be perfect for and also the upcoming MG Metro 6R4 Rothmans of Jimmy McRae from Belkits...

This is a cracking build so far.  Following with interest.  I've only built one 1/12 Tamiya bike so far, but i loved it for the level of detail and construction complexity.  Can't wait to get another one :)

Gorgeous!  So freaking clean!  

I've seen the the chrome pens.  Have you had many/any other uses for the pens?  The sheen is spot on and it would appear the same with controled application.  

JCH

P.S. I really like the jig.