Aoshima 1/24 London Black Cab

Hi guys,

Whilst the other main build is on hold, this has maade its way into the build schedule. I am on a deadline with this so updates should come quickly.

The kit itself is fairly basic, but thats fine. I will be omitting the engine from the build and sealing the bonnet up.

There is a fair amount of butchery required which the photos should detail nicely.

Box & Sprue Shots

1qgintkr-2jDNCvcqDvOuaOsLSnp3GrKARYYYVqD

etH7r4W6_X7K7gwH3MZAsQpTGonPuzEDl0KEMZ0k

Quick mock up before any modifications

VVFEV9uBUkBGp2XE5w7QuvkqxmukcH6R02rEcew4

Concept

pQBQJMK0XLqKGxYGk9KAx4Xym2qHsBC9mRFnFN1B

The lowering

Lowering the rear of this is a very simple affair. The rear wheels are connected by a piece of brass rod, which simply locates by a hole each side. By elongating the hole upwards the axle will sit higher up the chassis allowing the rear to sit lower overall. a few minutes work with a round file.

ej-6H_GV9HAoffX0cKhPKS_zwhU57vD8DwOEJ7Ba

The front requires some modifications. The pin system for the front wheel on to the hub is simply reversed to allow after market wheels to be fitted.

Then a hole through the sides of the chassis allows the lower spring arms to be raised up after splitting the piece in two.

Then its simply a case of using some of the spare sprue to create longer top mounting points to fit higher when receiving the top of the suspension unit.

The beauty of this means you can alter the camber angle with ease, so if you were to want negative camber simply mount the lower part further out and/or the top inwards.

__vBgIDWZQT--9-ZoBccpAEMGZG_X2BJbD4KGGyn

GdVO0sJqiXwvEsEWGWxBgr8NaKNyCX_tWOTDiS2t

YHB34p8uD5_Mb2RPbMtX1Er3ujBRLx3VvYKBTq3d

1KY4xa0QL6pRPQFTQPY_lKUHbyoEnzHNRMP-pTzQ

UYR3Jc0kvzwxSHE7gA5zWTtaxTZMmmUJdGGSTEpx

Roof Chopping

Marked up where the cuts are required

MsnoO4aG6nBsmSGRACE_o94SfM5BtDHWxpMw-ocv

Front roof cut

07Cq-T0ag3DmPjQK5XT03coA2T1nT7ox8e4-rSGV

Rear Roof Cut

MGWli6Sh8qkzLfhddBvEGqFeIwHIucIHhMbKKTrs

And the roof removed

LYWBwYXr49YklUOpd6rLqR7pqMNlfup4ukWDcxqv

Drop roof level

Simply cut off the tape end of the uprights using the tape as a guide to ensure equal drop all round.

Then re affix the roof, you will need to make a little brace to spread the shorter pillars as they end up not quite fitting.

Don't throw the cut offs - We can re-use them later

nzJ3YNdBk2UxqKlaCy5o8ro8UOrTTxtYEACEd0NR

Now cop the rear and front sections the same way and brace whilst gluing.

I left the front side window uprights attached to the bottom and simply chopped them down to make life easier when it comes to fitting the clear parts.

Mr Hobby Filler applied to the joins ready for shaping later

9wR9eTaJaPTiMaCVBi5Gn4FoyBSHIR7pk8rHm2Jd

Now for those cut offs

Simply chop them in  half and cut down to re-insert into roof gaps as their profile very closely matches where we now have gaps

p5h6qcDL9GAgjHhP0klR_3fioGnfmGyEj_DI6Kj6

Prep for filler

I used a wide piece of tape on the inside with a thinner piece allowing me to cover the gap (like a plaster) from the inside. I'm hoping the waxy out lets go of the filler when i remove it later.

0I3N_MfXlnZcU7EvaZYR4jitmjVPiGvFE00hSQ_d

I used tape on the outsied to allow quick clean up and reduce amount of sanding hopefully required

vCatQnytYRKvCEMAgOMW13wsvOTAheBOj_tqHl4M

d_7lEnfQw3WzVSya0n3Y38Qgmg-qqFegIH7kkZ--

Bonnet Emblem

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed the taxi light holes on the roof filled.  This is due to them no longer being required. The Taxi light is to be the front emblem

KHxsV38gjwhaI4KPhAiJMk1kBeuFGbEQbFtlw1fb

And thats where things are at currently.

I hope that the filler goes well and that i can get to cleaning up the body shell ready for painting tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Coops

• Like 4

Definitely something different - nobody can accuse you of following the herd with this one and it looks as though you've made a good start on it. My only worry would be the structural rigidity of that roof - do you have anything to support it other than the filler?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Definitely something different - nobody can accuse you of following the herd with this one and it looks as though you've made a good start on it. My only worry would be the structural rigidity of that roof - do you have anything to support it other than the filler?

Not as yet, it is solid on there and doesn’t need to bare any weight but I will use some spare sprue on the inside to brace it. 

I am only using things out of the box it came in for the build, but thinking about it I could have got some sprue in the gaps.  If the filler comes out when I remove the tape then that’s what I shall do but I’m sure I’ll make it work. 

Ok, so to go with the suggestions i have braced the insides of the roof with a couple of bits of spare sprue (I'm only using what came in the box + Wheels for this build)

Black is not an option here, its definately a different colour for this build, but that won't be revealed just yet. This is being built for a little competition hosted by Kent Models.

The filler is still drying, so the shell is being taken indoors to allow the filler to cure. The shed loses its heat through the night and takes a while to warm up with the warmth of the day.

Cheers for looking, and the next update should include some colour applied and potentially a rolling chassis.

Then its on with cutting the clear sprues to the new size, painting the shell, decals and final construction.

Cheers for looking,

Coops

• Like 2

Update time

Clear Parts

Clear parts have been removed from sprues, marked up and cut down to fit in the now lower body shell

7Jshc0E0MR1u57O467qWRck4xZ7Z0O8t4p83LbqX

Rolling Chassis

There is now a rolling chassis ready and awaiting the final assembly stage

7fRaiqta63-wTsUTHQYyzca7Pby_3TK-rg1UdOaZ

Interior

The interior has been completed in black, with tan seat covers and Aluminium seat bases.

The dash has received a little spruce up with Aluminium, gold and decals

ApqUXDEYzkgujSQRupGggOpnO2HdtcrVKVlivqzp

RrPouU1-ZJrUUZynGaKfzfBs2gtLwyPJDwJw4Q_c

Body Shell

And the body shell has received a few coats of gold, before also receiving some clear red treatment

WPt6C0gZIg2ITIIX0GKF_4Cic1ExJNSLVw3zc0OX

Wkb5VqXqERu49r1AZ4aR_o-dnP0LWtzOS6a9nK4f

The clear coat is still drying so hasn't achieved its final look yet.

Work still to do, detail paint the window seals and the lower side sills which are currently masked off, the intent is for these to be Alumnium to match the interior details.

All the chrome work to be applied and then thin final assembly and finishing touches.

I will likely update this WIP again when the final details are being sorted and then it will appear in the RFI section after being submitted to the Competition host.

Cheers for looking

Coops

• Like 6

Looks good to me, but there is a part of me wishing you'd kept it gold - it looks utterly tasteless in that photo and absolutely perfect for this sort of build :laugh:

(hopefully that does come across as the joke it's meant to be)

In all seriousness you've done a good job of dropping the roof on it - keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Thanks 🤣

Part of me wishes I had gone Matt Black with Green tinted windows and green tinted chromes.

im sure it will all come together in the end.

the body has now got 2 coats of lacquer and is drying.

i will add decals and panel lines before giving it a final lacquer.

then it will have a while hardening before a final polish and build. 

Here's a quick look at the shell with first couple of light lacquer coats applied:

nZc0wJeV43bMXx7SQ5Edj8ArDgYsFrd7RzJluS79

Edited by Cooper645
Added photo
  • Like 3

Ok, so this is now built, I have the front number plate decal left to apply, here is a sneak preview. Nothing more to come here.  Look out for the RFI which I will link in post #1 when it goes live.

Cheers for sticking with this quick build, I've learned a few things through the course of these mods which I can improve on for further builds.

Coops

yBwxhRx5x5Wqu9POWR7nZK_d6ljC4ziaieZXmYUd

• Like 4