Matchbox/Revell 1:72 HP Victor

Back in the Saddle

A few images, to show where this model is at the moment and whet the appetite!

This is my first WIP post, so if anything is wrong, such as file/image sizes (or anything else!), please let me know for future posts - I won't be offended.

Hopefully I'm allowed to post these before the GB begins...?

So to start, a picture of the box. It's a familiar kit to many and a Revell re-release of the original Matchbox kit:

victor-1.jpg

Next the fuselage. All buttoned up, but needs some filling and sanding around the transparencies:

victor-2.jpg

The inner wings are next. The major issue here will be making the intakes look semi-respectable:

victor-3.jpg

The assorted other assemblies:

victor-4.jpg

And finally the bits still barely started:

victor-5.jpg

Work has been sporadic on this kit recently, but from 2nd November it will be getting some attention again!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This is my first WIP post, so if anything is wrong, such as file/image sizes (or anything else!), please let me know for future posts - I won't be offended.

Hopefully I'm allowed to post these before the GB begins...?

Photo’s look good to me. Yes you're allowed to post the photo’s showing previous work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a small update.

The main reason this kit stalled was the intakes - they are horrendous. I've done a couple of rounds of filling and sanding and they're improving, but there is still much to be done:

victor-intake-1.jpg

victor-intake-2.jpg

Those intakes are the reason this kit was put to one side...!

The nose is coming along well, with the transparencies getting blended in - before and after shots:

victor-nose-2.jpg

victor-nose-1.jpg

victor-nose-3.jpg

A bit of scribing around the entry door and I think I'll be ready for some primer to see what needs more attention.

• Like 5

Looking very good. You are doing a very good job with this model. 

It's the intakes and mainly the horrendous nose shape that put me off ever building this kit even if the Airfix one is far more expensive.

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Those intakes are the reason this kit was put to one side...!

Yes they're not pretty are they ? If i were to build this over the Airfix kit id replace the vanes in the inlets with sheet plastic after i blended the sides in. 

Coming along nicely. Actually this has just reminded me that one of my refurbishment projects is to convert my old Matchbox kit into a B2 bomber - I bought replacement wing tips, bomb bay and tail cone years ago but have never got round to doing it. A KUTA may be the ideal time to make a start, though not perhaps this year I will have to think about it! Easy enough when it is unbuilt but probably a bit harder getting the bomb bay sorted when it is already built. Still, when I strip it the glue will probably give way and the fuselage seperate - who knows.

Pete

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

Coming along nicely. Actually this has just reminded me that one of my refurbishment projects is to convert my old Matchbox kit into a B2 bomber - I bought replacement wing tips, bomb bay and tail cone years ago but have never got round to doing it. A KUTA may be the ideal time to make a start, though not perhaps this year I will have to think about it! Easy enough when it is unbuilt but probably a bit harder getting the bomb bay sorted when it is already built. Still, when I strip it the glue will probably give way and the fuselage seperate - who knows.

Pete

Now that’s a build I would like to see!

• Like 1

Hi Ash,

Maybe one day fairly soon, but if I were to try and fix the intakes and nose it would be hard work. probably easier to bite the bullet and buy the Airfix kit. I was waiting for over a year for the Rareplanes vacform Victor to go with their Vulcan, but Gordon dropped it when Matchbox beat him to the release. Pity as if the Vulcan is anything to go by it would have been a lot more accurate..

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Ash,

Maybe one day fairly soon, but if I were to try and fix the intakes and nose it would be hard work. probably easier to bite the bullet and buy the Airfix kit. I was waiting for over a year for the Rareplanes vacform Victor to go with their Vulcan, but Gordon dropped it when Matchbox beat him to the release. Pity as if the Vulcan is anything to go by it would have been a lot more accurate..

Pete

Just buy the Airfix kit....

You know you want to....

You know you need to....

Also the blue steel box is 1/3 off at Hannants right now.

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a bit of a hiatus again with this kit, mainly due to the intake vanes - the reason this kit stalled the first time around. However, last week I bought some Testors hobby sanding films and a few lollipop inserts, in order to make some sanding sticks to get this job done:

film.jpg

I cut sections from the 150 grit, 280 grit, 320 grit and 400 grit and superglued them onto the sticks. They were just the right size to fit between the intake vanes, which are now looking as good as they will get - for the sake of my mojo, I need to move on! The film did the job, but was not very sturdy - it started breaking up as soon as it was used.

Here's the current state of play. Acceptable (I think) - I'll make a final decision once I get some primer on them:

intakes-2.jpg

I've also tackled the outer sections of the wings, as the undersides needed more attention. I dislodged an aileron in the process, so that will get glued back on later... Incidentally, the white paint was brushed on early this year before I bought my airbrush, so is being gently sanded back before I spray any future coats of paint.

wings.jpg

The joints are starting to look OK, so again, a coat of primer will be the next step to see if any further work is needed.

Tail fin, tailplane and tail cone are next on my list for attention - hopefully later today!

Edited by Back in the Saddle
  • Like 6

If you're building this as a K. 2 the ailerons need to be rigged trailing edge up.  For early jets it's 2 degrees, for later jets 4 degrees when neutral.  The reason for this was to reduce the bending moment on the outer panels thereby prolonging fatigue life.  Obviously this had an adverse effect on performance but was considered easier/less expensive than reinforcing the wings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

If you're building this as a K. 2 the ailerons need to be rigged trailing edge up.  For early jets it's 2 degrees, for later jets 4 degrees when neutral.  The reason for this was to reduce the bending moment on the outer panels thereby prolonging fatigue life.  Obviously this had an adverse effect on performance but was considered easier/less expensive than reinforcing the wings.

Thanks Steve. Easily done, seeing as one has detached anyway! 😁

Spent some time filling and sanding the tail fin/tailplane joints and the areas where the airbrake sections are fitted. They are now looking much better - a coat of primer will be next, to see what needs further attention:

tail.jpg

I also need to tidy up the duct inlet at the base of the fin!

• Like 5

As I recall the u/c was a pain on mine, would not stay glued on as the bogies did not have a positive location on the legs I think. Ended up using superglue!

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

As I recall the u/c was a pain on mine, would not stay glued on as the bogies did not have a positive location on the legs I think. Ended up using superglue!

Thanks for the warning! I’ll see what they’re  like when I attach the bogies - if they’re too wobbly, I might epoxy them into place...

• Like 1

@Adam Poultney To answer your question more fully, I am using the kit decals to depict XH669 - a Victor from 57 Squadron based at Marham in 1979:

victor-scheme.jpg

The tail cone and fin are now attached. This model is becoming a real filler queen!

victor-tail.jpg

Hopefully I will get the wings finished tomorrow - the painting stage is getting closer!

• Like 1