Matchbox/Revell 1:72 HP Victor

Back in the Saddle

You're absolutely correct Adam, when I checked I could see part of the door outline. Most of it had already been sanded away but some remnants remain - I will sort this out next time I am sanding the filler off this kit!

I have been working on the wings today. The ailerons were detached and re-glued with a slight upward deflection as described by Steve:

outers.jpg

I have also attached the probes to the wingtips (which will need a huge amount of filler and blending - a job for another day!) and the air scoops and flaps to the inner wing sections. I have hollowed the scoops out - a slight improvement on the kit offering. The undercarriage doors were offered into place - I'm glad this will be built with the gear down, as the doors were quite undersized:

inners.jpg

The next stage will be more filling and sanding, before joining the wing sections together.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This model has been on the back burner recently, as I’ve been concentrating more on the Vulcan and Gnat. However, I did manage a little bit today. As you may have noticed, the probe on the nose is missing (destroyed by dropping the fuselage nose first....!), so I’m fabricating a new one from milliput. I’ve not used this product much before, so it’s a bit of an experiment. I will post some pictures once I’ve finished making it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a small update - Christmas was busy...!

Firstly, I now also own the Airfix Victor kit. It's a huge box, especially when compared with Revell's kit - nearly twice the size:

boxes.jpg

Lots of very detailed plastic inside, which is already proving useful for reference. I am rebuilding the probes on the nose using Milliput sausages and have used the Airfix piece for guidance - seen below adjacent to the scratch-built part:

probes.jpg

A little more filler to blend it all in and it should look quite realistic. If all else fails (or I break it again - it's very fragile!) I could use the Airfix piece as a mould and build a new probe from resin.

Finally I joined the outer wings to the inner wings:

builtwings.jpg

Almost time for some major assembly and priming!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress. The nose was masked last night, ready for priming today. The window frames were not very distinct but I have placed the tape in what I hope is the correct position! I also applied a coat of Klear over the tape, to try and seal the edges - I'll find out if that idea worked in a few days from now. There is no tape on the window behind the flight deck, as that window has become loose. I will remove it completely and use clearfix to solve that problem once the painting is complete.

nose-masked.jpg

The refuelling probe has also been fitted. I think it will need some filler, but I am leaving that until after the priming is complete. Talking of which, I had my first experience of using Mr. Surfacer 1000 today. It sprays very nicely, so hopefully I will finish priming tomorrow - I ran out of time today, as the airbrush was badly clogged and needed a complete strip down...

• Like 5

I like the way you keep plugging away at this kit, it's certainly a challenge.

A bit of primer on it will look great, though I'm guessing it might show up a couple of areas that need a bit more filler in them. 😉

• Like 1

The airbrush may have beckoned, but not much was done... I finished the priming and started on the white, but the wind has stopped play - I paint in the shed next to an open window, but the wind gusts are blowing everything around too much. Time to stop, before something gets damaged or lost.

Maybe later things will calm down outside!

• Like 1

I haven't managed to get as much done this week as I would have liked, mainly due to the weather... I'm at the stage where the majority of the remaining work requires an airbrush - and it's been too damp/cold/windy to get much done - welcome to Scotland! However, I did manage to get some paint onto the model - the white is *almost* finished; one more coat should be enough:

white.jpg

Instead, I have been concentrating on work I could do indoors. My intention is to finish individual components and then glue them together at the end. The refuelling pods have been on the workbench this week. Having looked at pictures of the real aircraft, it seems that Revell have been somewhat misleading with their instructions, which show the pods with most of the refuelling basket visible - the reality is that almost everything, including the majority of the basket, was retracted inside the pods... Frankly, I can't be bothered to redo the whole thing, so I'm leaving the baskets exposed - my excuse is that the aircraft was on the ground and the baskets were extended for some sort of inspection! The first step was to mask them look more convincing - they are made from mesh, which was not depicted at all in the kit. Some scribing with a scalpel soon improved their appearance:

compo.jpg

Once that was done, I painted the baskets and applied the decals. Nightmare! The decals fragmented into multiple pieces and needed very careful application to get them looking vaguely acceptable. Here's the current state of play, suffice to say that as well as being brittle, the decals did not conform to the compound curves very well - Micro Sol and Set were used extensively!

pods.jpg

Some more silver highlighting is needed on the mesh, and I seem to have missed out a couple of day-glo decals entirely(!), but they are looking reasonable and will pass a cursory inspection. I will look at adding the missing decals if possible, which go above the ones already applied - if I can shoehorn them in, I will!

I'm now resigned to not completing this model by the end of the GB - there is just too much work to do and not enough time... In particular, the intakes still require yet more attention, then the whole model needs painting, varnishing, decaling (which, I suspect, will be a challenge - I might spray the decal sheet to set them before applying anymore!) and a final seal. It should be finished soon, just not by the 2nd Feb... Hopefully I will get the Vulcan finished instead - at least one model will make it into the gallery!

Edited by Back in the Saddle
  • Like 4

The good news is that I managed to fit the missing decals onto the refuelling pods - they will need a bit of persuasion to settle, but at least I got them on. The bad news is that I just couldn’t face masking the Vulcan again tonight, so will try and get that done tomorrow, ready for the final coat of green...

• Like 2

You are doing another great job on this thread too. 🤗

the basket improvement is ace. Nice work. Are you not using the spray booth for your painting? “Open window”  “wind”  I’m thinking of making one of these myself after seeing what you had done.  The Airfix kit is huge isn’t it. I have one in the stash too. It might get an outing this year but until then I’ll tag along and enjoy this if that’s ok.

Johnny.

• Like 1

Hi Johnny.

I’m using the booth, but it extracts straight out of an open window. I found out the hard way that if it’s too windy, I get problems. The main issue is that the shed window is hinged at the top and propped wide open - last time it was windy, a gust lifted the window, the prop fell out then the window crashed down and dislodged the booth which was balanced on a toolbox! I know, it’s all a bit Heath Robinson and needs to be improved🤔

I’m heading out now to touch up the Vulcan, so will post a picture or two later...

• Like 1

Here's the setup and the view from outside, showing the prop holding the window open:

external.jpg

And inside, showing the booth resting on a toolbox and window ledge:

internal.jpg

This is only a temporary setup - once the weather improves I will build something more permanent (and secure!). To be fair, except for during gale conditions it has worked a treat! 😆

I managed to get the Vulcan touch up done, despite the air temperature - there was a little ice on the path and snow in the forecast...!😮

• Like 2

Maybe you could fit a "hook and eye" type latch as I have on my side gate to stop that blowing about when open. My shed if for garden tools, plant pots etc, but I have the same problem in terms of lack of room, and also dust, insects etc, which is not a good environment for spraying, so I tend not to use it if possible. Although it has electricity it is ruddy cold at this time of year even with a fan heater going full blast - my previous shed was al ot better but rotted away.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...