Revell 72nd scale MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed-C

On 8/18/2018 at 6:23 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

That looks great!

On 8/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, exdraken said:

That comrad remote control looks rather nice!!

Thank you commrades :) 

Having added the gunsight and recording camera to the instrument panel the whole lot was painted and dry-brushed to produce this; 

29344163827_4871572c13_z.jpg

Edited by Col.

On 8/4/2018 at 5:12 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

That is really good information.  What year did they shift to turquoise?

Before 1967:

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

Becoming a little more MiG-shaped today;

43650856954_84ab92060f_z.jpg

Having worked on the exhaust petals to reduce their chunky appearance gave me a little more space to add a circular pipe that is apparent in the walkaround photos;

44316240142_d37c367a36_z.jpg

I've since added a few of the seperate components that embelish the fuselage and have ran into a few fit issues :( Seems the moulding quality that ensures the two fuselage halves went together almost seamlessly hasn't extended to the smaller parts and many have required some modification before they'll go on. 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

Looking like a rocket!  Nice Col...

Doesn't it just! :lol: 

Sticking the wings on changes that look a little but I do like the shape of the MiG-21. Must have been such a futuristic looking beast when it first appeared.

29452421277_35cd589e0e_z.jpg

Unfortunately those wings took a lot of fitting before I could get a join I was satisfied with and even that wasn't perfect :( 

44340002062_3b3f8d338a_z.jpg

30521742298_ba35a10253_z.jpg

As you can see the fit of the wings and other components wasn't great. As a result I've lost a bit of love and enthusiasm for this kit but will get filling and sanding soon hopefully.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Col. said:

Must have been such a futuristic looking beast when it first appeared.

Yes...a very noticeable departure from previous Mig designs that is for sure.  Everyone else was building delta wings, why not the USSR?

• 3 weeks later...

As proof I've not forgotten about this one here's a small update to show it got a little attention lately...

44091956994_9beeafe5e7_z.jpg

Some wire has been twisted and bent to represent the snake's nest of pipes that exist behind the seat and are visible under the extra canopy section on -F13 variants. There's still more I could add there but these are the main ones. The nose cone and intake part has also been added but needs a bit of sanding to blend into the fuselage without an obvious step.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice and all important progress!!

Thank you Werner. After an evening spent poking little bits of wire into a small space the rear canopy section got glued on; not a great fit but hopefully that can be rectified with a little filler as it needs a good polish anyway;

44807607392_b4a83c3e6b_z.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry on the wires I took the liberty of inspecting an ancient project that deserves attention;

44857367841_4579cb771d_z.jpg

When the Airfix Su-27 kit was first released I picked one up from my then local model shop and made a start to converting it into the P-42. That was 28 years ago and I think the time has come to finish this one at last. Obviously not relevent to this GB but hopefully with a bit of preperation I can get it sprayed at the same time as I'm doing the MiG-21 :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Col. said:

When the Airfix Su-27 kit was first released I picked one up from my then local model shop and made a start to converting it into the P-42. That was 28 years ago and I think the time has come to finish this one at last.

http://forums.airforce.ru/matchast/2353-suhoi-p-42-a/

http://avia.pro/blog/p-42

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_10521.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_30453.html

😉

B.R.

Serge 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aardvark said:

You are my hero Serge! There's enough here it the links to show me some corrections I must make from a lot of photos I've not seen before :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is masked up and ready for spraying but alas it will likely be the weekend before I can do that;

44370579604_629d70b9a5_z.jpg

In the meantime the P-42 has been getting some attention and the windscreen in particular;

31217259078_aa8c49697f_z.jpg

Removing the IR tracker resulted in damage that required repair and it was also reshaped slightly to better represent the curved profile so filler and Micromesh is now getting employed.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 9:31 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Looks good Col.  The familiar Soviet arrow...

It does indeed look for all the world like an arrow head now you mention it John.

Over the weekend it went from a bare plastic arrow head to a grey one;

44260938955_b5c36f7263_z.jpg

... then became a silver arrow thanks to a blast over with Alclad's White Aluminium;

31310376938_1bf6b3c332_z.jpg

It was all going well 'til I unmasked the canopy;

45184716151_44dafd4a43_z.jpg

As moulded the canopy wasn't perfectly clear so I'd spent a bit of time polishing it up before masking it off. I need not have bothered :( The plastic looks to have melted underneath the masking fluid. Will try polishing it again but have a nasty feeling this is a dead canopy.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2018 at 2:35 AM, Col. said:

When the Airfix Su-27 kit was first released I picked one up from my then local model shop and made a start to converting it into the P-42. That was 28 years ago and I think the time has come to finish this one at last. 

I'm boggled that you have a 28-year-old model. Do you know what I was doing 28 years ago? Not much. I was seven.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Arrghhhh...that's a shame about the canopy.  What happened?  Can you fix it?  Another canopy, perhaps?

Otherwise, looking very sharp indeed!

No idea John. The strange thing is I'd done exactly the same to the rear section, same polishing up, same masking, same primer and metalic paint sprayed on, with no issues at all when the masking was removed. I'll try polishing it up again but have a horrible feeling I need a replacement; no idea if I can buy it seperately from Revell but don't want to buy an entire kit for a single part which in turn leaves the remainder of that kit unusable.

45 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm boggled that you have a 28-year-old model. Do you know what I was doing 28 years ago? Not much. I was seven.

28 years ago I was 17. Perhaps best I don't list some of the things I was doing when I was 17. At the age of 7 I was making models though.

42 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

28 years ago...I was 25 and going into my first year at culinary school after 10 years of working already in the field.  Not much time for models back then.  Moving too fast...

Life certainly doesn't feel to have slowed down any since then for me :lol: 

• Like 1

In an attempt to make some progress rather than give into temptation and shelf this project I did a bit of riveting last night;

43382744510_7687a00f0e_z.jpg

Trying to keep it subtle enough to not be obvious but still adding some visual interest.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

28 years ago,  was 1990....everything that happened in 1990 with me and in the world around me will require a lot of text and will hardly fit on one page of this topic!

But, yes, this F-14A

20181009_191443.jpg

exchange on mail from Czechoslovakia in 1989 or 1990.

10 hours ago, Col. said:

if I can buy it seperately from Revell but don't want to buy an entire kit for a single part which in turn leaves the remainder of that kit unusable.

Don't "crying" about Revell canopy MiG-21F-13, it's  poor canopy!

;) 

If we had a normal mail, then I could easily send you this shed by mail .... but we have no official links with the outside world.

Sorry! :(

Therefore, if you are planning to buy an E-2A,

then I would, if I were you, leave everything as it is, and then replace the canopy from E-2A. Because as I suppose E-2A as and MiG-21F must have two canopy! ;)

The canopy of the MiG-21F will not work because it has two growths that the MiG-21F-13 did not have.

Pavla vacuum canopy for MiG-21F-13 not working too, because this canopy for Bilek MiG-21F-13 not for Revell....and this vacuum canopy poor too!

:(

When I update my topic about building MiG-21F from Modelsvit I will show photos of all three canopies - Modelsvit, Revell & Pavla.

B.w. from what manufacturers riveter You use?

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, Aardvark said:

28 years ago,  was 1990....everything that happened in 1990 with me and in the world around me will require a lot of text and will hardly fit on one page of this topic!

But, yes, this F-14A

20181009_191443.jpg

exchange on mail from Czechoslovakia in 1989 or 1990....

I built the same F-14 kit that year as well :lol: 

...Don't "crying" about Revell canopy MiG-21F-13, it's  poor canopy!

;) 

If we had a normal mail, then I could easily send you this shed by mail .... but we have no official links with the outside world.

Sorry! :(

Therefore, if you are planning to buy an E-2A,

then I would, if I were you, leave everything as it is, and then replace the canopy from E-2A. Because as I suppose E-2A as and MiG-21F must have two canopy! ;)

The canopy of the MiG-21F will not work because it has two growths that the MiG-21F-13 did not have.

Pavla vacuum canopy for MiG-21F-13 not working too, because this canopy for Bilek MiG-21F-13 not for Revell....and this vacuum canopy poor too!

:(

When I update my topic about building MiG-21F from Modelsvit I will show photos of all three canopies - Modelsvit, Revell & Pavla...

I did notice the frame around the front section of the canopy is too thick at the top of its loop but are there other issues with the canopy shape? :(  A great excuse to buy the A&A MiG Ye-2A so long as it has the two canopies but I'll still try to save the kit part until then. May I ask where you live that has such a poor postal service Serge?

...B.w. from what manufacturers riveter You use?

B.R.

Serge

I used the Trumpeter riveter. It's the only one I have and the fine point wheel looks perfect for 72nd scale in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

I built the same F-14 kit that year as well 

Probably I should somehow build this set right out of the box! Because for 28 years, I have not taken to him any aftermarket except NeOmega ejection seat. Hasegawa makes almost a good kit .... almost because they, as I read, were mistaken in the size of the air intakes.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

I did notice the frame around the front section of the canopy is too thick at the top of its loop but are there other issues with the canopy shape? 

According to Modelsvit, the cross section in the canopy of the MiG-21F / F-13 was not round. Canopy Revell  side view - very well, but it does not correspond at all to the top view! This is his main problem Revell canopy. Of course, if you are doing an open canopy , it is not so critical because most of the audience’s attention will be diverted to the cockpit interior, but ....

3 hours ago, Col. said:

A great excuse to buy the A&A MiG Ye-2A so long as it has the two canopies but I'll still try to save the kit part until then. 

I don't know, I suppose on analogue with  MiG-21F Modelsvit.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

May I ask where you live that has such a poor postal service Serge?

Of course! I living in Donetsk city.

This front line city

who lives on slightly frozen hot point second edition Cold War.

3 hours ago, Col. said:

I used the Trumpeter riveter. It's the only one I have and the fine point wheel looks perfect for 72nd scale in my opinion.

Ohhh, I have the Trumpeter riveter!

But at first I somehow didn’t like him ... maybe you should try again!?

B.R.

Serge

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Probably I should somehow build this set right out of the box! Because for 28 years, I have not taken to him any aftermarket except NeOmega ejection seat. Hasegawa makes almost a good kit .... almost because they, as I read, were mistaken in the size of the air intakes.

I think you should go for a right out of the box kit build. Relax and enjoy it ;) My example still survives but a bit ragged and damaged; perhaps I will revisit it sometime.

According to Modelsvit, the cross section in the canopy of the MiG-21F / F-13 was not round. Canopy Revell  side view - very well, but it does not correspond at all to the top view! This is his main problem Revell canopy. Of course, if you are doing an open canopy , it is not so critical because most of the audience’s attention will be diverted to the cockpit interior, but ....

I don't know, I suppose on analogue with  MiG-21F Modelsvit.

My plan was indeed to open the canopy as I wanted to show that feature of the F-13 type as well as the pilot's unusual helmet but if the Modelsvit kits include a pair of canopies I could easily justify adding one to my stash :hmmm:

Of course! I living in Donetsk city.

This front line city

who lives on slightly frozen hot point second edition Cold War.

Must confess I know nothing of the region lately; nothing of its people or politics or its culture and that I think is a common problem in the western world :( 

Ohhh, I have the Trumpeter riveter!

But at first I somehow didn’t like him ... maybe you should try again!?

B.R.

Serge

I've used it a few times now and experimented plenty on spare parts or plastic sheet to get a feel for it. I'm sure it is not the best or most 'bling' tool for the task but it does that task well enough for me :) 

After what felt like hours spent masking (most likely because it was) then what felt like only a few minutes spraying (again most likely with good reason) I had a few panel variations and a jet exhaust heat effect;

31380924058_3544ab2149_z.jpg2018-10-11_10-41-00 by Col Duncan, on Flickr

45254649321_f7133f3ed8_z.jpg2018-10-11_10-41-41 by Col Duncan, on Flickr

45254657781_095fef7a5f_z.jpg2018-10-11_10-42-08 by Col Duncan, on Flickr

Could have done plenty more panels but will leave it at this tonight and have a look tomorrow.

• Like 4