Goodyear FG-1D Corsair IV of the Fleet Air Arm - Hobbyboss 1/48th

Well, this is admittedly grudging respect, but your sanding job on the wing outer panels really did a lot to improve the looks of the wings and your exhaust stack treatment deffo helped things out on the underside; as did the substitution of the aftermarket resin wheels.

The funny shaped "spade" doors on the landing gear fronts are one of those things that most Corsair buffs would probably overlook but when you're as familar with the shape nuances as i am, the shape of those horrid things really stands out.

However, having said all that good on ye for toughing it out and getting her over the last ditch. Think you're doing about as good a job on that kit as anyone could.

-d-

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 7:02 PM, David H said:

Well, this is admittedly grudging respect, but your sanding job on the wing outer panels really did a lot to improve the looks of the wings and your exhaust stack treatment deffo helped things out on the underside; as did the substitution of the aftermarket resin wheels.

The funny shaped "spade" doors on the landing gear fronts are one of those things that most Corsair buffs would probably overlook but when you're as familar with the shape nuances as i am, the shape of those horrid things really stands out.

However, having said all that good on ye for toughing it out and getting her over the last ditch. Think you're doing about as good a job on that kit as anyone could.

-d-

Thanks David. The undercart front doors have been reshaped ( fiddlier than you might expect!) and look a lot better now.  She's also had her first coat of GSB, which as its Gunze will need to dry for about 20,000 years before I can handle it :)  Plus I realised my spray mask filters cartridges were a "bit" out of date ( OK about 10 years!!) so just waiting for some new ones to arrive before I carry on spraying. In the mean time Im painting the fiddly bits.

Cheers

Jonners

Afternoon all. A Corsair IV update - so paint on, bit of weathering applied ( salt chipped and then glazes over the top) and a ruddy great white fuselage sash which adds a tad of swagger to the affair

When I use Gunze gloss paints, I've started baking my models post paint & varnish in the oven. I set my fan oven to about 60C centigrade, leave the door ajar and cook the model for about 15 mins. It speeds up the curing time of the Gunze paints no end!! Tastes 'orrible though! :)

The paint stand is actually from a pizza so it feels at home in the oven too!

Fiddly bits pretty much all painted too - and I've checked the decal sheet using a spare - and they are "OK". So we are good to get the stickers on tomorrow I reckon

Jonners

KFkuUX5.jpg

z8bkwgs.jpg

• Like 5

I guess i missed the plot on this one, but aren't Gunze colours acrylics? I always thought acrylics were fast-drying. What exactly are you using to thin them?

I made the switch from enamels to acrylic lacquers precisely because of the much faster drying times. However, i'm using up the last of my MM Enamels for aircraft interiors. Then the changeover to acrylics will be complete.

-d-

Hello Jon,

Really good job on here.

Just one little thing, when the engine is placed as per the instruction, it seem IMHO that it is too far ahead.

Making a big room in between the lips of the cowling and the back of the prop

This is an observation on mine, so I put the whole engine a bit rearward.

I must make another brit Corsair with this paint scheme, look pretty good.

Congrats !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

3 hours ago, David H said:

I guess i missed the plot on this one, but aren't Gunze colours acrylics? I always thought acrylics were fast-drying. What exactly are you using to thin them?

I made the switch from enamels to acrylic lacquers precisely because of the much faster drying times. However, i'm using up the last of my MM Enamels for aircraft interiors. Then the changeover to acrylics will be complete.

-d-

Hi David - yes you are correct - except some Gunze gloss acrylics, while being touch-dry very fast, don't fully cure and harden for somewhat longer ( a couple of days in my experience is minimum) which means that the heat from your finger tips on "dry" paint is enough to leave lovely finger prints. I thin with either isoprop, or Mr SLT and it makes no difference to the cure time - but the oven dry does seem to help harden them off, if not fully - then at least enough, to not make my model look like a careless crime scene ( I'm fully capable of doing that anyway! LOL)

cheers

Jonners 

Very late to this party, mind if I join too?

Great modelling all round going on here :worthy: Loving the detailing and scratch building! And really fascinating painting scheme :clap:

Ciao 

• 1 month later...