Hip, Hip hooray!! Hobby Boss' Mi-8 made to actually look like one.

Craig, I liked because I thought your post was worded quite amusingly, I'm sorry, I could just imagine the plesentries coming from your bench :winkgrin: It is almost as if Pavla is playing a cruel joke on you, I don't think I have seen a worse fitting resin part than that! Man that is a lot of work right there, I can't offer any 'useful' solution you wouldn't have already thought of other than maybe replacing the fuel tank with a decent sized firework! However, the Mig sounds a great idea while you mull it over.

Edited by mirageiv
triple post?!
  • Like 1

Ouch, that does not look good. I really don't know what to say apart from step away from thee kit for a few days and come back to it with fresh eyes and enthusiasm. I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but it may give you a different prospective on the model and how to progress with it. It is a shame that the resin engines do not fit as I know that Pavla sold a fair few of them when it was realised that a Mi-8 could not be built out of the original kit (And yes I bought a set). Hopefully you will be able to salvage this project because of the amount of work that you have already put in to it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

As it's resin, dunk it on hot water then glue in some length of sprue with super glue to hold it out to the right width.

Cheers Radleigh, I might give that a go when I can build myself up for it.

10 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Craig, I liked because I thought your post was worded quite amusingly, I'm sorry, I could just imagine the plesentries coming from your bench :winkgrin: It is almost as if Pavla is playing a cruel joke on you, I don't think I have seen a worse fitting resin part than that! Man that is a lot of work right there, I can't offer any 'useful' solution you wouldn't have already thought of other than maybe replacing the fuel tank with a decent sized firework! However, the Mig sounds a great idea while you mull it over.

Thanks David, no problem with you liking the post and I'm glad that the wording amused you, it was meant to. If Radleigh's idea doesn't work (in the future) I really like your firework idea! Though if I do bin it i save the interior for a future Mi-17. And the Mig is certainly working, and I'm loving researching the camo scheme.

2 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Ouch, that does not look good. I really don't know what to say apart from step away from thee kit for a few days and come back to it with fresh eyes and enthusiasm. I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but it may give you a different prospective on the model and how to progress with it. It is a shame that the resin engines do not fit as I know that Pavla sold a fair few of them when it was realised that a Mi-8 could not be built out of the original kit (And yes I bought a set). Hopefully you will be able to salvage this project because of the amount of work that you have already put in to it.

Cheers Jabba, yes I'm going to leave it alone for a while and get stuck into my Mig-21. I hope your Pavla set fits better than mine, perhaps the earlier cast ones are a good fit.

• Like 2

Mine didn't fit either. I found that slicing the whole thing longitudinally down the middle and treating it like two fuselage halves was the solution. I think I also discarded the part of the pavla moulding that repsents the cockpit roof and used the Hobbyboss roof built up with plastic/filler. I then filled the resultant longitudinal gap with a sheet of plasticard. Alas it made the intakes about 2mm further apart than they should be, but eliminated a big step where the engine panels met the fuselage sides.

Sorry, not easy to describe, and I have since sold the finished model so no pics! 

Will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks David, no problem with you liking the post and I'm glad that the wording amused you, it was meant to. If Radleigh's idea doesn't work (in the future) I really like your firework idea! Though if I do bin it i save the interior for a future Mi-17. And the Mig is certainly working, and I'm loving researching the camo scheme.

I had a similar exercise in vocab on my F-104 when the Klear cracked :winkgrin: (I will sort it someday). I used the firework method only once on the one kit that beat me when I didn't know what I was doing, probably the fastest a 1/48 Heller Mirage IV has been, fixed all the seams in one go! 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Craig I am sure that Ken Duffey made a conversion with this Pavla set. I am not sure how he got on, but I am sure that it is somewhere on this site.

Cheers Jabba,

Yes I've seen some of Ken's conversions and he has got some great results, it sounds like I'm not alone in my problems from some of the other comments and I'm not sure I want to go down the route of cutting the already fragile resin parts. I will have a look at following Radleigh's solution soon and if that doesn't work I will probably bin it and keep the interior for an Mi-17, using the Begemot decals but probably a different scheme. On a positive note I am really enjoying my Mig-21 build, getting my mojo back!

Indeed a frustrating experience you are having with the resin conversion Craig. At times like that I sometimes too like to toss it all.

Put it aside and look at it in the future and things won't be as bad as they look now. You put too much effort into this build to give up on it.

You got some good advice, but personally I would do as Radleigh suggested.

On 29/05/2017 at 3:48 AM, Radleigh said:

As it's resin, dunk it on hot water then glue in some length of sprue with super glue to hold it out to the right width.

This will give you the correct width of the resin part. You then only need to use plasticard shims to close the gaps and you are back on track.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Ah man, that's frustrating, I can see why you've put it to one side and gone to work on a nicer build!

I've lost count of the amount of resin sets that I've used, and have seen reviews/builds of other people using, that just don't fit the kits they're 'made' for. You have to wonder if the manufacturers of the Resin actually ever bought the original kit and tried to get it to fit themselves!

Hope the hot water solution helps sort it out for you...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the Mig therapy is definitely working and the mojo is returning!

I will give the warm water treatment a go before I decide on any "further action".

On 6/1/2017 at 11:03 PM, Jasonb13 said:

I've lost count of the amount of resin sets that I've used, and have seen reviews/builds of other people using, that just don't fit the kits they're 'made' for. You have to wonder if the manufacturers of the Resin actually ever bought the original kit and tried to get it to fit themselves!

Tell me about it Jason, the amount of issues people have with the likes of Aries cockpits and getting them to fit is unbelievable. If possible I use Neomega for cockpits as they fit much better,

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Ah man, that's frustrating, I can see why you've put it to one side and gone to work on a nicer build!

Hope the hot water solution helps sort it out for you...

All depends on the resin used also, some shrink..