Twins at Christmas

rob85

So these are my completed entry's for the MTO GB, a thoroughly enjoyable group build full of fantastic and inspiring builds.... pop along and have a look!

This was supposed to be a triple build, however life got a little in the way so my time was shortened.... I really wanted to post a topic on Christmas day called "we three twins" witty arn't I!  

Any way I digress.... here is a link to the wip for more info

So first up for your festive perusal is a SAAF b-26 marauder that flew from Italy with no 2 squadron. The transfers are from the Xtradecals sheet "med twins", Tony O'toole helped with the set and gave a good few pointers on some of the options, what a great guy offering out his knowledge freely! Hope the back starts to improve mate.... anyway the kit is the rather old, but really rather very good, airfix in 1/72. Internal detail is very nice and there is lots of it, it goes together fine no major issues (well maybe apart from the engine necklace's) and the external details are nicely done but made of both raised and engraved panel lines. Here s how she ended up... V-Viking 

30892698614_b56510ae4f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31696407116_9e8199743c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31618422251_b5937aac1f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31734255525_4c686ff4d1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31618424921_c536a8aeae_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

30892701074_45d5ffb58d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Paints were tamiya and weathering was done using micromesh between coats to create colour fade/bleaching, mixing my own shade of olive to highlight panels and using pastels to fade areas and desaturate roundels etc....

So next up is "bottoms up II" which crash landed in corsica, it's my first try at a US  aircraft  (since I was a child I should add) and a NMF. I do love this scheme and it was picked by my wife! It popped up when I was looking for options to do in the GB and she found it funny... I said it looked like her, and she is a yoga teacher and we'll. ... here she is

31843855895_47b4ea5b52_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Lucky guy....

And here is the rest of it!

31806067146_2bb6fe013c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31696560492_267a818e0a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31727434211_177fe9929f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31843745745_6ff077e030_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31039517793_505d102430_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The kit is the italieri 1/72 b-25 j/h not a bad kit goes together ok, detail is ok.... its ok.... I could have done better as well to be fair... paints were citidal for the NMF using a couple of shades to get panel variation and a little bit of humbrol, for the other colours. Pastels again to weather the transfers panels etc...

Merry Christmas all

C & C welcome

Rob

• Like 17

Hi Rob. Thoroughly enjoyed your WIP and congratulations on completing two great looking aircraft. Here's to following more of your projects in 2017 :cheers:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I really like your take on both models, although I have always had a weakness for the B-26, so it will get my vote!

Brush painting NMF is no mean feat and you have done your Mitchell proud!

Great show!!! 

JR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drift said:

Very impressive. Well done man!!!  The white page is probably due to the white Christmas. 

Yes very white! So white I can't see.... oh wait that appears to be the gleaming sun...

cheers gor the appreciation! 

Rob

Hi guys,

the white page is my fault, and I wish I could say indeed that it is a photo of a white-out in Chamonix where I am skying now (I wish....).

My Enter button got jammed at the end of the post and there you are....

Anyway clutter is bad for you!

Apologies

JR

• Like 1

Hi Rob, two fine looking aircraft, well done on getting at least two of the builds finished.

Love the paint job on the Mitchell, not easy painting yellow, but your's looks pretty good.

:goodjob:,

Sean

(Thought I'd gone blind half way down the page.....B))

• Like 1

Hello buddy! Nice job on both, but I was particularly taken with the panel variation on the Mitchell. Good Gosh that must have been challenging!

I tried yoga once. It was a humbling experience. Imagine if you will, modelglue in a Uni gym filled with lovely ladies all wearing those yoga pants and poor me huffing and grunting to keep up and not look awkwardly out of shape (I promise, I was in great shape, but not yoga shape). At one point, the instructor stopped everything to ask if I was ok. I resigned, laying on my back and shoving my thumb in the air. Giggles were heard.

Oh, sorry, back to modelling: The Marauder has got to be one of the least appreciated types (maybe with good reason) but it just has a character all it's own! You really did a great job picking schemes. One in OD/NG and one NMF is the way to go for a balanced presentation.

Cheers for the great pictures of models Rob!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelglue said:

Hello buddy! Nice job on both, but I was particularly taken with the panel variation on the Mitchell. Good Gosh that must have been challenging!

I tried yoga once. It was a humbling experience. Imagine if you will, modelglue in a Uni gym filled with lovely ladies all wearing those yoga pants and poor me huffing and grunting to keep up and not look awkwardly out of shape (I promise, I was in great shape, but not yoga shape). At one point, the instructor stopped everything to ask if I was ok. I resigned, laying on my back and shoving my thumb in the air. Giggles were heard.

Oh, sorry, back to modelling: The Marauder has got to be one of the least appreciated types (maybe with good reason) but it just has a character all it's own! You really did a great job picking schemes. One in OD/NG and one NMF is the way to go for a balanced presentation.

Cheers for the great pictures of models Rob!

Thanks MG! I have taken a number of classes, thankfully (as a married man, however what you have described don't sound a terrible experience :) ) not full of young students, but mainly older ladies.... other than my ninja wife and the instructor... oh and there is a chap called Len who has only got half a lung left thanks asbestos... any way, I felt fairly secure and could keep up.... just!

The NMF wasn't too bad actually, in part due to ones self! A modified version of your post it note trick to separate panels and paint made it easier, so thanks!

as for the b-26, I think it was the earlier marks with the real character... if you can call dropping out of the air due to a high stall speed character (happy to be corrected if wrong)... as an aircraft I like its looks, bit brutish and powerful!

cheers for the comment Joe glad you like them!

tony snuck in there, cheers mate hope your ok.

cheers 

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2