F-4 Phantom canopies

tomdocherty72

Is anyone aware of a 1/48 kit of the Phantom which contains more than one set of canopies, maybe a one piece canopy and another set to display the canopies open? I have a Phantom kit with no canopy transparencies. If there is such a beast as an kit with two canopy sets I can buy it then build both!

Yes, there certainly is, the later boxings of the Hasegawa E, G & J deffo do. Probably EJ's too.

A lot of the different release box contents are shown on here if you want to try checking specific ones....

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=102&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=hasegawa+phantom+48

Edited by Dr Evil

Thanks Dr Evil. I have just done a check of the Hasegawa F-4EJ and F-4G kits and the instructions only show one set of transparent canopies which can be modelled open or closed. I am looking for a kit which definitely contains two full sets of canopies so I can use the second set to complete my Esci/Ertl Phantom and build the other kit too. Any idea which of the newer boxing has this option?

Yes, there certainly is, the later boxings of the Hasegawa E, G & J deffo do. Probably EJ's too.

A lot of the different release box contents are shown on here if you want to try checking specific ones....

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=102&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=hasegawa+phantom+48

You are right, certain boxings had both. I remember the Egypt boxing did for certain.

Hasegawa Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 kits have both the one piece canopies area for closed, and the individual parts to have them open.

None of mine do, and I have 8! :shrug:

• Like 1

Hasegawa Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 kits have both the one piece canopies area for closed, and the individual parts to have them open.

The three Brit Phantoms of mine that I can get to don't (Collectors Edition FGR.2, 56SQN red tail FGR.2, and the 111SQN Black Mike FG.1 re-issue) ... :( But both of the F-4G's I have do, as well as the F-4EJ KAI.

From what I have noticed, any Hasegawa boxing that says 'One Piece Canopy' WILL DEFINATELY have the two canopies (opening set and all closed up set), while some of the more recent issues may or may not. I have friends who's FG.1/FGR.2's do have the one piece canopy in them.

I'm sure someone here has built one of these kits and has a left over??? But if not, from what I can gather, the kits that DEFINATELY have the one piece canopy (and thus you end up with a 'spare') are:

07206 F-4J ‘Showtime 100’

07208 F-4E ‘30th Anniversary 131 TFW’

07209 F-4G Wild Weasel

07210 F-4B/N (one of the raised panel line kits)

07077 F-4S 'VF-161 Rock Rivers'

09805 F-4E 'Korean Air Force'

09859 F-4E ‘Indiana ANG Special’

07207 F-4EJ KAI

Dan

• Like 1

None of mine do, and I have 8! :shrug:

The three Brit Phantoms of mine that I can get to don't (Collectors Edition FGR.2, 56SQN red tail FGR.2, and the 111SQN Black Mike FG.1 re-issue) ...

Currently building Black Mike kit (here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006575-hasegawa-phantom-fg1-black-mike-quickie/?hl=%2Bphantom+%2Bfg.1) my second one, and built another boxing back in the day, and at least one definitely had two canopies.

I don't remember mention of single piece canopy on the box, but will recheck.

Tom, in case it falls through I can donate my 'open' canopies.

Edited by 71chally

Thanks to all who helped with advice and in particular to Bonhoff who sent me a full set. Now I can make a start! Just as well really as the Kinetic 1/48 Prowler I was working on has a part missing on one of the sprues. Emails Kinetic for the part but don't hold out much hope. Good thing we all have kit stashes!

Ive had good luck with Kinetic - got a F-21 kit once, that instead came with the Kfir C2/C7 plastic. Contacted Kinetic, they sent me the F-21 unique parts no problem. Took a little while, but they arrived...

Dan

@RMP2 - its one of the most useful Hasegawa resources out there, isn't it! And not just that page, but the preceding has48a.htm, has48b.htm, has48c.htm and following has48e.htm pages...

So much good info!

Dan

• Like 1

@RMP2 - its one of the most useful Hasegawa resources out there, isn't it! And not just that page, but the preceding has48a.htm, has48b.htm, has48c.htm and following has48e.htm pages...

So much good info!

Dan

Indeed it is. The Hase F-104 page is equally helpful.

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

Then again, scrolling through.... yes, for any of their kits it seems.

Great to have when there are multiple variants of kits and bargains to be had if you know which ones to look for by content rather than box art. ;)

Eaxctly... I use it all the time for things like 'Which F-16 can I get to make a modern F-15A-Blk15OCU Adversary' or 'Which F-14 kits have the NACA gun vents' or 'are ALL P-51D kits ok for a RAAF CA-18'... Its particularly good for the F-4, where you can figure out Raised vs Recessed, Hard Wing vs Slat, etc...

And from what I can tell, has been kept pretty up to date...