MkIX Spitfire 306 "Torun" Polish Squadron - 1/72 Matchbox

Matchbox's Mk.IX Spitfire.

This was one of the few 1-72 scale Matchbox kits that I never made as a kid. I can remember seeing kits built by friends and also looking at the sprues through the little window on the box and thinking that the Airfix Spitfire kits of the day were much better.

The kit comes with the usual choice of two markings, 124 Squadron and 306 Torun Polish Squadron, decals permitting I shall be building the Polish option.

I know I am cutting this fine but should be able to finish it time.

IMG_2908.jpg

Looking at the sprues I can see I was correct in preferring the old Airfix Spitfires. This is not one of Matchbox's best kits, both fuselage and wings have a mixture of raised detail and heavily etched panel lines, the plastic is also see through and of course there is no detail to the cockpit.

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

The kit fits together ok, not as good as most Matchbox kits but ok.

Humbrol filler has been applied along the fuselage and wing joints. I always choose Humbrol filler for this job as it can be easily sanded back to a very fine layer without coming off completely. The model has also been very quickly rescribed using the original raised detail as a guide. The heavy trench lines have been reduced with the aid of perfect plastic putty.

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

The Scarlet Spitfire,to show any mistakes and to make the plastic less transparent the model has now been sprayed with Halfords red primer. Red was used because that was all I had in my shed and I was in a hurry.

IMG_2924.jpg[

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

Glad to see you entering with this kit !

The Spitfire was indeed one of the worst kits made by Matchbox. It was also one of the very first. Even so, it's a kit I remember fondly because the later edition of this kit (the one with parts for the low back too) was the starting point for my very first Spitfire conversion (a Mk.XIV).

Looking forward to more pictures !

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Glad to see you entering with this kit !

The Spitfire was indeed one of the worst kits made by Matchbox. It was also one of the very first. Even so, it's a kit I remember fondly because the later edition of this kit (the one with parts for the low back too) was the starting point for my very first Spitfire conversion (a Mk.XIV).

Looking forward to more pictures !

Thanks, the re-box with the low back looks like a nasty kit to build but as a Matchbox collector I need to build it at some point.

I can see that I am not going to finish this in time, but will carry on anyway.

I have now sprayed the underside light grey and given the upper surface a coating of the same colour to hide the red primer. A pilot figure has been installed to hide the lack of any cockpit detail and the hole at the back of the cockpit has been filled with plastic card and glue & glaze pva filler.

All I want from this is a nice cleanly built model for the Matchbox collection, at the same time I don't want to lose the original look of the kit but will add the odd improvement.

IMG_2928.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Old Thumper, I have the later IX / XVI Matchbox to build, but I'm planning it as a postwar 16. The kit has the same Torun decals. Your build looks nice, the codes look funny like out of register - is that the decals?

I'm doing various older Spit kits, usually its red centres of the decals that are dodgy, but the Sky codes are more like deep opal or turquoise on some!

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso

Great build OT!

Thanks very much.

Old Thumper, I have the later IX / XVI Matchbox to build, but I'm planning it as a postwar 16. The kit has the same Torun decals. Your build looks nice, the codes look funny like out of register - is that the decals?

I'm doing various older Spit kits, usually its red centres of the decals that are dodgy, but the Sky codes are more like deep opal or turquoise on some!

Cheers

Will

Yes the 3D look is the decals, Matchbox decals can be pretty dodgy but if you have a Revell era kit you may find them to be much better.