1/72 NH90

How about sticking pieces of masking tape across the gap, from the inside? If you don't overlap around the edges too much it should pull out OK once you've finished. Not sure if that makes sense?

Cliff

Yeah it does. Would have to do that before closing up the fuselage right?

Would have to do that before closing up the fuselage right?

Yes, that's correct.

Here's one that's currently in my pending pile.

First what's inside:

P1090314_zpsd5kexhad.jpg

And then after the tape has been installed and the fuselage closed up.

P1090319_zpszdy0yk7r.jpg

In this case, each of the three windows has its own piece of tape so that they can be pulled out individually. I'll be glazing the windows with Kristal Klear in due course.

As you'll appreciate, the exposed piece of masking tape is sticky, so I always seal it straightaway with some thinned varnish (or Klear), to stop it picking up hairs and sanding debris etc.

Cliff

• Like 1

Getting ever closer to closing her up. First order of business though was to lop off some of the attachment points for the tail antenna(?) as the naval version is slightly different.

Before

DSCN4502_zpshp5u7wtm.jpg

After

DSCN4505_zps3bxlahex.jpg

Looking at the reference pics the remaining attachement points should really be oval, rather than square, but that's a bit beyond my skills for now.

After that it was time to install all the various sub-assemblies, and this is where everything stands at the moment. Will close it all up this weekend and hopefully get some primer on at least.

DSCN4506_zps2y3lhcrd.jpg

Edit; regarding the foam for protecting the interior. Would a sponge work?

Edited by johnny_7713
  • Like 1

Starting to look like a proper rotor-driven death machine now. The naval additions continue to disappoint in terms of fit and detail compared to the regular kit parts, but nothing that filler won't overcome hopefully. Landing gear is on and drying now (not in the photo yet). Later tonight or tomorrow I'll put on the sponsons and then the filling and sanding can commence.

DSCN4507_zps9borxvki.jpg

• Like 1

Some further progress over the past week. Several rounds of primer (Citadel Skull White), sanding and filling. Then a coat of Valejo 152 (aka 70.883 Silvergrey). It's my first time airbrushing in at least 5 years so I still have some learning to do, but from 0.5 metres away it looks OK.

Tip for anyone who might build this in future: the instructions say to close up the fuselage first and only then stick on the landing gear, but I would highly recommend doing it the other way round. You have to fix the upper part of the leg on a certain positioning hole inside the fuselage, which is probably a lot easier if you haven't closed up the sides yet.

DSCN4508_zpsjzuf3ws2.jpg

DSCN4513_zpscszmyzj1.jpg

DSCN4514_zpstwcimj4b.jpg

DSCN4511_zpsyq7hps33.jpg

DSCN4515_zpsd8hfqfrn.jpg

• Like 3

Put on a coat of Microscale gloss and removed all the masking. Quite pleased with how the colour has come out. I've started on the first round of decaling, which is helping to break up the massive slabs of grey. Still various antennae and other sensors to install before I go full out on the decalling though.

Had a slight accident during removal of the masking of the tail-plane de-icing boot. Fortunately it's on the bottom side.

DSCN4520_zpsz79owyoh.jpg

No fancy meshes from me, at this stage of my modeling skills I'm staying with drybrushing aluminium over black.

DSCN4521_zpsopbxkxve.jpg

Quite a ways to go yet, but it's slowly starting to come together.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Decals, so many decals! (You may commence laughing now if you usually make models with several sheets of stencilling, I'm sure there was only a modest amount on this model).

DSCN4667_zpspvtpqwiv.jpg

Getting close to being done now, rotors, wheels, winch, pitots, and antennae all that's left, as well as a light wash.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Final painting and assembly completed, and it´s done! :pilot:

NH90-image001_zpsc1qiifud.jpg

I´m sure the practised eye can pick out quite a few spots for improvement in the macro-photos (even I can :P) I'm pretty pleased with how it looks when I look at my display shelf from behind my desk. I'm also pleased with how my very first attempts at scratch building turned out (life-vests and trackballs in the interior and the blue bracket (?) on the tail.

NH90-image003_zps9glhxh1u.jpg

NH90-image014_zpsuvyy7doj.jpg

I'll post some more pics in the gallery and then it's over to the Hunter STGB forum for me (of course I'll keep following all the amazing builds going on here as well).

• Like 4

Thanks for all the kind words, glad you liked it :D. After uploading I actually discovered a set of decals that the carpet monster had dragged to its lair, so I'll probably add two more stencils (one 'rescue' triangle on each sponson) some time in the coming week.