Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito PRXVI

Davek72

Better late than never I am now ready to start my first build for this GB. A couple of years ago my in laws gave me an Airfix 1/48 Mosquito as a Christmas present. I have been waiting for an excuse to build it ever since...here we go.

Obligatory kit shots..

E456435B-92B0-4121-980B-CB6FCC6D178B_zps

9BD1D544-9398-4254-A76B-368717EB42F8_zps

420D3015-3366-4BAB-90CD-FA98602C3436_zps

0745D0A1-F63F-4964-AC30-F100B6BC0C8D_zps

3CC71869-D792-4848-A6E6-B0ECF6E554F5_zps

b5eb5d0b-b7e6-4995-8596-d3eb339abeba_zps

722c4710-287c-4922-89f1-3c32605d2af2_zps

4b255c34-9df7-49a4-bde0-2995196534a3_zps

Thank you for looking. All feedback very welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave

as the kit contains the old (circa 1979) FB VI kit plus new sprues from the 90's, the kit can be 'tricky' or poor.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41750-airfix-148th-mosquito-b-mkxvi-pr-mkxvi-opinions/

note this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27282-two-stage-merlin-engines-made-easy/

sadly the pics have gone, but the basic idea should come across.

You may want to search up some builds

this may help

When I built my first example of this kit I found that the new wing parts (with engraved panel lines, including the delineation of the spar cap long the upper surfaces) were a poor fit and badly distorted. I resorted to using the FB VI wing parts and adapting them as necessary to accept the two-stage engine cowlings.

suggest plenty of test fitting, and careful trimming and shimming, which may well save frustration and filler later,

Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Hi Dave

as the kit contains the old (circa 1979) FB VI kit plus new sprues from the 90's, the kit can be 'tricky' or poor.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41750-airfix-148th-mosquito-b-mkxvi-pr-mkxvi-opinions/

note this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27282-two-stage-merlin-engines-made-easy/

sadly the pics have gone, but the basic idea should come across.

You may want to search up some builds

this may help

suggest plenty of test fitting, and careful trimming and shimming, which may well save frustration and filler later,

Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

HTH

T

Troy

A massive thanks for the heads up. I am still at cockpit stage and everything is going ok but I shall do as you say and take extra care. I was hoping for a relatively pain free build given my recent experiences but in for a penny in for a pound...

Cheers

Dave

Troy

A massive thanks for the heads up. I am still at cockpit stage and everything is going ok but I shall do as you say and take extra care. I was hoping for a relatively pain free build given my recent experiences but in for a penny in for a pound...

Cheers

Dave

I hope it's of use Dave.

Now you know to dry fit, trim sand adjust, dry fit again, you should be OK.

If you have not already fitted the cockpit, I suggest doing all this before main assembly, I have found that gaffa tape ripped into small strips and pieces is very good for this, as it strong and keeps it's stick, so can be peeled back for adjustment, and a lot cheaper than Tamiya tape.

I suggest not even showing it glue, just work on getting the best fit, never did it in my youth, but having done extensive DIY building jobs it's now second nature, it can be quiet therapeutic, like purposeful whittling if you like.

also worth checking the fit of the canopy as well. This may take a modelling session, but like decorating, preparation is the key.

I remember the Airfix Mossie I did back in 1980, I did none of the above, and it was a mess...trying to sort out fit problems afterwards with filler, which would have been easy to solve before gluing :(

look forward to seeing how you get on.

cheers

T

I hope it's of use Dave.

Now you know to dry fit, trim sand adjust, dry fit again, you should be OK.

If you have not already fitted the cockpit, I suggest doing all this before main assembly, I have found that gaffa tape ripped into small strips and pieces is very good for this, as it strong and keeps it's stick, so can be peeled back for adjustment, and a lot cheaper than Tamiya tape.

I suggest not even showing it glue, just work on getting the best fit, never did it in my youth, but having done extensive DIY building jobs it's now second nature, it can be quiet therapeutic, like purposeful whittling if you like.

also worth checking the fit of the canopy as well. This may take a modelling session, but like decorating, preparation is the key.

I remember the Airfix Mossie I did back in 1980, I did none of the above, and it was a mess...trying to sort out fit problems afterwards with filler, which would have been easy to solve before gluing :(

look forward to seeing how you get on.

cheers

T

Cheers Troy

I am looking forward to trying to tame this one...famous last words.

D

Despite the lack of postings I am making some progress. The cockpit has come together quite nicely.

B3BB00FB-CCC7-4137-B496-40BCABCF29B6_zps

Against my better judgement I decided I would try my hand at figure painting and paint up the pilots. The moulding on them is not great and I suspect the Airfix 1/72 Defiant pilots I did for the BoB build were betted sculpted. Still they have come together reasonably well and once the canopy glass goes on they should look ok.

Apologies for the photo being slightly out of focus. I really need to get a better set up than my phone.

795E0DB5-B6AE-4CD9-AF4D-D5928E48B632_zps

• Like 2

looking good Dave

You may want to try a something ilke a burnt umber wash on the faces, it's a easy way to add shading.

If you use enamels, you can use oil paint diluted with lighter fuel, it is very thin and evaporates fast, if you prefer acrylic,

Roy Sutherland posted a technique on Hyperscale and his blog

http://barracudacals.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

This is where the seat starts coming to life. To really pop out the detail and bring the belts to life, a wash is now applied using my patented ,exclusive, super secret, never-before-seen-on-TV Future Wash. This is the best was I've ever used on detail areas. It works wonders in gearbays and cockpits and wheel hubs and the like. Its not good for external panel washes, though.

Mix 1 part Future floor wax (now called Pledge Floor Care and by other brand names such as Johnson's Klear overseas.) with 1 part water. Add a small amount of Acrylic black paint (I use Vallejo) and stir to make a very pale wash. Try it on some test pieces. Flood the area with the wash and watch it collect in corners, creating subtle gradated shadows when it dries. The advantage is that the pigment never breaks up like enamel washes do. Experiment with the concentration til you find what works for you. If its too subtle. Go back and apply a second coat once the first has dried.

You can use a dark red-brown instead of black for flesh area use

If you fancy adding some colour, the radio set has coloured knobs ..

detail_lanc_06.jpg

the seats cushions are quite possibly leathercloth, and are racing green...

the bit directly behind the pilots set in the Mossie is the bit directly below the radio set in the Lanc above, and as can be see through the canopy maybe worth adding these colours, though I suggest slightly toned down.

Any progress on the test fitting?

HTH

T

looking good Dave

You may want to try a something ilke a burnt umber wash on the faces, it's a easy way to add shading.

If you use enamels, you can use oil paint diluted with lighter fuel, it is very thin and evaporates fast, if you prefer acrylic,

Roy Sutherland posted a technique on Hyperscale and his blog

http://barracudacals.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

You can use a dark red-brown instead of black for flesh area use

If you fancy adding some colour, the radio set has coloured knobs ..

detail_lanc_06.jpg

the seats cushions are quite possibly leathercloth, and are racing green...

the bit directly behind the pilots set in the Mossie is the bit directly below the radio set in the Lanc above, and as can be see through the canopy maybe worth adding these colours, though I suggest slightly toned down.

Any progress on the test fitting?

HTH

T

Thanks Troy that is all very helpful. I have made some additions to the cockpit off the back of your post and will upload some photos in a mo.

Test fitting is proving challenging...

Dave

As Troy said before, mating new with old parts is somehow tricky, and you'll probably need some filling and sanding here and there, but otherwise I found it a nice kit to build.....well, maybe I'm a little bit focused with one of the most beautiful planes ever made, the Wooden Wonder....

I like it very much how your figures have turned out......a nice addition to any airplane kit....

cheers...

As Troy said before, mating new with old parts is somehow tricky, and you'll probably need some filling and sanding here and there, but otherwise I found it a nice kit to build.....well, maybe I'm a little bit focused with one of the most beautiful planes ever made, the Wooden Wonder....

I like it very much how your figures have turned out......a nice addition to any airplane kit....

cheers...

Cheers Artie. I agree quite simply an almost perfect piece of engineering and a beauty to beat (I am talking about the plane not the Airfix kit for clarification). Since Troy pointed out the origins of the kit it has become blinding obvious what a bodge the two elements of the kit are. However I am looking forward to trying to pull it all together into something decent.

I had hoped to post a couple more photos but photo bucket seems to be down at the moment...

Dave

Initial test fitting of the fuselage halves was fine up until the front 3rd where there was a bit of a gap...a slight understatement.

878CA42B-9B25-43DC-9581-5A0196A0AAD6_zps

I set to trimming and sanding back the offending parts of the cockpit. Isn't it a great feeling to spend hours building something only to have to attack it with sanding sticks to get the damm thing to fit. After much butchery I ended up with..

EB4E7E70-AA9E-42B1-973C-C1FA75641445_zps

5879B7C8-D73E-46BC-B201-6EF5C5053274_zps

Troy you will note I picked up on some of your useful suggestion for making the cockpit a bit more colourful. Thanks again.

Dave

• Like 3

I set to trimming and sanding back the offending parts of the cockpit. Isn't it a great feeling to spend hours building something only to have to attack it with sanding sticks to get the damm thing to fit. After much butchery I ended up with..

Troy you will note I picked up on some of your useful suggestion for making the cockpit a bit more colourful. Thanks again.

Dave

Cockpit looking very good, and my pleasure to add some info that has helped.

IIRC the cockpit fitted fine on the FB VI, so useful to know regarding the new parts.

Shows my point about dry fitting major bits first... more use for others reading this now the kit has been recently re-issued, and why WIP like yours are handy to have.

I'll have to dig mine out and have a look.

I have FB VI, PR XVI and NF XXX stashed... never should have bought that Isradecals sheet...https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ISRA72

(the Israeli's used all the above plus TT.III's and TF.33's as well)

cheers

T

Despite the lack of posts there has been progress...

Main wheels assembly was made up of about 14 pieces and was a little fiddly to build especially as the plastic had warped but eventually I go everything straightened out and it started looking like this.

ef310e1c-4f22-416d-8626-93c4c56252a5_zps

Canopy on and some masking...

AB0E9316-39FB-4524-A54A-A58D191ADF07_zps

Tail together....

F67423BA-0F3E-41F2-8D71-0017534C129F_zps

Engine and main undercarriage coming together. I put a bit of paint on just in case I had issues masking at a later date...

270fd4d1-2962-45d1-ac87-4d2beb9c1ae0_zps

Finally one of the wings coming together. Actually the fit is not bad but as advised there was an awful lot of test fitting that went on before applying glue.

20798342-750b-4112-90c7-192195322649_zps

Thats all for now. Thank you for looking.

Dave

• Like 4

Looking good Dave

nacelle wing join has come out really well, glad I warned you.

i have a dim memory (hallucination perhaps?) that with a bit of fiddling it's possible to fit UC after main assembly, but it was a long time ago...perhaps I'll find out when I do some Mossie's...(3 Airfix, 4 Tamiya, 1 Revell and a Monogram in pear tree, I mean I had since...before the Airfix kit came out)

problem is it's easier to buy kits than build them :whistle:

cheers

T

Looking good Dave

nacelle wing join has come out really well, glad I warned you.

i have a dim memory (hallucination perhaps?) that with a bit of fiddling it's possible to fit UC after main assembly, but it was a long time ago...perhaps I'll find out when I do some Mossie's...(3 Airfix, 4 Tamiya, 1 Revell and a Monogram in pear tree, I mean I had since...before the Airfix kit came out)

problem is it's easier to buy kits than build them :whistle:

cheers

T

Hi Troy

Yep it is coming together slowly. I tried everyday I could think of to fit the UC after assembly in a dry run but failed dismally so decided that I would have to fit and mask as appropriate.

I know exactly what you mean about buying vs building. My problem is that I order something I want on t'internet and get the message "spend £20 more and get free P&P"....well it would be rude not too.

D

My wife and children headed North today to visit family leaving me which meant I had an almost unprecedented 5 hours at the work bench....bliss.

The end result is I made a start to my Hurricane for that GB and after much gluing, filing, priming, sanding, filing, priming etc I got to this...

E3836C46-CEB9-4F8B-AE6C-4E1E8276CAC8_zps

And...she looks like a Mossie....

;-)

• Like 4

And...she looks like a Mossie....

A damned fine Mossie at that. Smooth work there Dave; all your test fitting and fine tuning has paid off.