Spitfire I, DW-O 610 Squadron *COMPLETED*

Hi there. Just had a small session in varnishing the Spitfire and its friend. So not much to show other than a couple of wet models and that wouldn't be interesting would it?

The plan is to start application of the markings tomorrow. For the Spitfire at least the wheels are done and all I need to add are the aerial, tail wheel and rudder, so nearly there. The Hurricane is slightly behind but not by much. Markings should also be near application on that too.

So as I said, no pictures for tonight.

More soon (I hope).

Trevor

• Like 1

Sorry I've been inactive for a while but as per usual I get to the 'nearly time to put the stickies on' stage and the wind goes out of my sails.

My previous post mentioned varnishing. Well I did that and when this was dry and I inspected my work, I found that my brush wasn't as clean as I thought and as a result there are 'bits' embedded in the varnish. I thought that those days had gone when I invested in a load of new brushes.

*sigh*

Stripping back is not an option, as getting this far has been a triumph. So what to do? If I don't do anything then the lumps and bumps will show through the markings.

So I'll be going over both models with a fine tooth comb, removing the worst excesses with the point of a sharp blade and then polishing the surface off with Micromesh.

As things stand, I'm within an ace of marking the Spitfire, (the Hurricane is taking second place in my available time).

I will polish tomorrow and I'll see if I can make a start on the markings too.

Ho hum......

Trevor

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Tonight I got distracted, partly because my work area (aka the dining room table!) was unavailable. Mrs H has a rather large jigsaw on the go at the moment, so I continued with my novel (1,500 words on the opening of an envelope - no seriously) which hopefully will result in me making JK Rowling look like a lightweight and will keep me in Tamiya Spitfires and Mosquitos for life.....I can dream can't I?!

As soon as my work surface is freed, I will press on.

Trevor

• Like 1

Progress!

Well, some at least.

I attacked the Spitfire with successive grades of Micromesh and now that I know to alternate the direction of rubbing with each one the results are better. The bits have all but disappeared and as a bonus my ridge work painting has been reduced as well.

The downside is that that it has had the effect of grottying up the paintwork. To be honest, I think that I can deal with this as wear and tear once the markings are applied and maybe some deliberate patching-up as if an Erk (one, painting for the use of) had replaced say an access panel for one of the guns. After all, these machines were worked hard in their short lives in that summer of 1940.

You will notice that the wheels, aerial mast, pitot tube and rudder are missing. This is deliberate as I know for certain that they would be knocked off, broken or sacrificed to the carpet monster. They will be added right at the end.

Enough waffle, pix herewith.

EFF2912C-890E-4940-8280-CC28C4DD7ED9_zps

456C77F0-9C4A-4FE7-A02E-24E1ECFECAD7_zps

F0AA674F-A48F-484E-B3F7-F75B84903968_zps

Stickies next!

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 3

Yes I'm back with some progress (you at the back muttering "about time" go to the head teacher's office now!).

As you will recall from the beginning of my meanderings I am using an Eagles Cal sheet using the option of DW*Q as the start to make DW*O.

899EF82C-E30C-4867-8B48-DDDF3C6FA31D_zps

There are a lot of stickies.........

B4D616C2-5F65-45CF-B22A-7D53EE4FF2BE_zps

I am deeply impressed with the Eagles Cal transfers, especially after the trials and tribulations with the Colorado set for my French Mosquito (no that's still not finished). Lashings of Humbrol's Decalfix were used just in case. Wonderfully thin but robust, they went on a treat.

Now then, yer aktual boggo Spitfire I comes with 56" upper wing roundels. However all of the (model) pictures I've seen shows it with a smaller version, 45" has being suggested. So off to the spares box to see what I had.........

Bad I phone shake that's what

9527FDAC-AD0B-405F-AD5A-33758ECA9908_zps

Basically I had a choice of the right colour but slightly too large (an old Almark sheet), or the right size but rather too bright (an even older Microscale sheet). I went with the former.

I then started the application

A545AA1F-D262-44DF-BD60-E65433C4A303_zps

6FC92AF1-B019-47C7-B5AE-5E3465AED6C8_zps

You can see here that this is an example of the poor old groundcrew trying to interpret the pronouncements of "Their Airships" viz a viz squeezing modified fselage roundels and squadron markings onto an airframe that plainly wasn't familiar with the rules and regs!

Modifying a Q into an O was immensly difficult

CDE44CDD-64A0-40C8-94E5-EF3E028FB0B0_zps

I've stopped there as I need your thoughts. I'm thinking that the code will read O*DW on the starboard side? I'll leave that for a while.

Next will be the tail flash. If you refer to the link at the beginning of this thread you will see that it is smaller and reversed, so the kit options are not applicable. Almark to the rescue again.

AD1256D3-66F9-495E-8C1D-054D568FDD74_zps

And that's it for tonight.

I feel a lot happier now that the Spit has a definite identity.

More tomorrow (probably).

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 7

Hmm my canopy fitted perfectly from memory....odd!

Hi Homer. This is the second of the new Airfix Spitfires I put together and that one was also a tight fit and didn't need glue. Don't remember it being *that* snug though.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

Some on line research whilst I commute.

http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Cotes%20Armor/28%20mai%201944/610-Squadron-RAF-003.jpg

http://www.ace.elknet.pl/ftp/zdjecia/modele/spitfire_Ia_72/spitfire_dwk.jpg

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/no610hawkinge-july40-b.jpg

That looks a pretty convincing empirical sample (never used that word before!)

Just hope that the 'DW' fits, although I have seen other examples where the code overlaps the yellow ring.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 1

Good research Trevor... I think we were all reluctant to commit to an answer (I was) as I'd checked my Spit MkI and that has the Sqdn 'QV' near the canopy on both sides as per the Xtradecal scheme but my Hurricane has the Sqdn designation at the back, so I was confused... glad you sorted it out and, if I've got it wrong, please don't tell! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip BK. That was something I was still mulling over. Looking again at the first photo in my 'commuting research' this morning, I can't see a roundel there. Never mind, there will still be the underside stencils to play with ;)

Trevor

The photos of 610 in flight were taken in July when no under wing roundels were in use [officially], roundels were to be put on from [afair] 10th August. I've seen other photos in the set of 610 in flight and they don't have roundels under the wings.

• Like 2

The photos of 610 in flight were taken in July when no under wing roundels were in use [officially], roundels were to be put on from [afair] 10th August. I've seen other photos in the set of 610 in flight and they don't have roundels under the wings.

Out of curiosity, which MU painted the mini underwing roundels right at the wing tips and which squadron(s) used them as I quite fancy doing one sometime.

Trevor

This is going to make me either blind, insane or incredibly frustrated. I have decided that the amount of tiny, tiny stencils can mostly stay on the sheet. Life is too short! I will concentrate on the most prominent ones. They even include stencils for the prop spinner for goodness sakes.

D6DED013-B2B8-4E79-BCEA-D59535DBA9DE_zps

........and I managed to lose one. Just noticed that the plate by the hole for the hand crank on the cowling isn't included on the sheet. Odd, as I thought all mk.I's had them when they left Eastleigh?

So then you ask, how did I get on with the starboard side codes?

6C7A80B0-A80D-481F-90C3-A15615485D8F_zps

Not a great fit and not like the photos the links for which I posted this morning. Did I misplace the roundel? Dunno but I can't see how else they would have fitted. I'm going to explain it away as he roundel and codes being just too big for the airframe. *If* Eagle Cals got it wrong then I'd say the codes are too big. Anyhow, I like the effect ( I'll just present it from the port side!).

Then the walkway. The spanwise length was too big so after measuring, I cut the right length. There were separate lengths for the chordwise lengths. They were too short by about 3mm.

AB80EA4E-567D-4739-8131-349C864E07FC_zps

So I can only conclude that these were designed for a different kit?

Before doing any more, I will let the transfers settle down overnight and then give a quick pass with some varnish as even after 24 hours the 'O' on the port side was still lifting. The walkways were especially susceptible to handling. I just about managed to get them back into place although there may be slight kinks.

These things are sent to try us I suppose. Still they look very nice once on. :)

More soon.

Trevor

• Like 3

It looks fine.

I'd say, as I judge it, you strbrd roundel is a tad too aft, In the photos the leading edge of the roundel is just a little forward of the aerial mast, almost, but not quite, about at the canopy rear edge, yours is just about equal to the front of the dorsal light, behind the mast. Even then I think the W would be on the yellow.

Have we found a photo of the starbrd side of 'O'? No? I can't remember seeing one, or maybe a close-up of it. So your representation is correct.

• Like 1