Boeing 247 D (RAF DZ203), William Bros., 1/72

Hi,

One of my favourite airplane ever - Boeing 247. I do not know why? - simply I like her. I had a very long "decission process" - which markings should I do?

Airpalne designed for civil use, but some of them were impossed into US Army as C-73, two were used in China, few were used in RCAF and single of RCAF came to RAF where served as a test bed for new constructions of airborne radars. This was DZ203 . There is a very nice book by Bob Shaw which describes whole story of DZ203 with all details. I read it a year ago. However I disagree with one interpretation of Author - I do not belive that from bottom she was yellow. There was year ago a discussion on this topic on BM WWII forum. There are opinions from past (1960.?) in which was said, that from bottom there was sky. For me also photos support concept of not-yellow bottom. A lack of serial on bottom sides of wings votes form me for sky underside.

During her serving in UK airplane was at least once repainted during serious repair, when original engines were replaced by whole sets from Harvard - with cowling and two blades propellers in 1944.

Anyway - I made her in initial markings (1942) for which a lot of photos are available.

Comments and criticism welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

b247 DSC04003b247 DSC04004b247 DSC04005b247 DSC04006b247 DSC04007b247 DSC04008

b247 DSC04009

b247 DSC04010

Edit - the link for colour discussion:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935600-boeing-247d-colour-question/page-2#entry1972972

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 12

Of course likes and dislikes are very individual feelings, but for me the 247 (though an important milestone in airliner design history) is really UGLY aircraft, while DC-2 looks much better and the L-14 (later to become Hudson and Lodestar) is simply beautiful. Ten years later (in elegance and aesthetics aspects) the Connie was still light years ahead of the 377 and DC-7 somewhere between them. And then everything changed suddenly - the 707 looks better than DC-8 and 727 than DC-9 (there was no Lockheed jetliner these days). Is this just the matter of money the rich company (after WW2 Boeing become the biggest one) can pay its designers for finding the right shape?

BTW I also mean that DZ203 undersides weren't yellow - at least in the period of A1 roundels and three-bladed props.

• Like 2

Thank you KRK4m and Martin for comments. Boeing 247 was the first low-wing all metal civil airliner with retractable u/c - a precursor of long series of constructions. This should be rather compare to Lockheed L10 Elactra or L14 Super Electra, regarding size. Douglases DC2 and DC 3 are a bit larger. But Boeing 247 is important from also one special point - on board of such aircraft first terreorist attac on civil airliner happend...

I forget to add thet I replaced the spinners by a bit smaller ones, which seems to more adequate folowing the photos. The radar shield below nose is just sctrach build, as well as air intake on left side of fuselage. The white curtains inside are made from a plumbing teflon tape...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

This looks great ! A fine job on this pioneering Boeing transport.

I am one who really likes the looks of the 247 and the Williams Bros version I did was a 247-D that Col Roscoe Turner piloted in the 1934 England-Australia MacRobertson Race.

It certainly is a fascinating replica in this RAF form.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you Mike,

The Roscoe Turner's one is the most fameous one the "247". Since I am limited my collection to military aiplanes from conflicts 1935-45 I was considering besides this RAF the markings of RCAF (I even wrote letter to Ottawa museum and got answer about the possible camo and lettering from time of WWII - existing photos are for all alu paint and it is likely that later they wore camo and code letters) or Chinese one (in net I found photo of again all-alu paint with stripes on rudder and chineese markings but without gun on the fuselage etc. - and the factory photos of that another one with gunner on top fuselage...) and a couple of USAF C-73. I chosen DZ203 as the one with the most interesting story behind.

Cheers

J-W

1970's short run tooling. Now a collector.

Much filler was certainly necessary.

Nice RAF markings. Only civilian ones included in the kit.

Edited by kira666
  • Like 1

Nice model of a lovely aircraft. I've seen one of these in the Science Museum's hanger at Wroughton.

• Like 1

Thank you Joe for your comment - I did not know that in UK there is Boeing 247 in museum! The DZ203 is suppouse to be scrapped I think, so it must be another one. I found her photo in net (link below), it looks a bit like DZ203 in her late years (1944-46) when had two blades proppelers, engines and cowlings from Harvard and backward windscreen (cowlings here are not the Harvard one - therfore only "a bit like")....

http://www.petergoodearl.co.uk/laceygreen/days/wroughton/hangard4/index.htm

I've seen B247 twice. In Ottawa Air Museum during my first visit to Canada (in 1994) and in Smithonnian Institute near Washington (DC) in 2006, during my last so far visit to US....

• Like 1

Thank you Jerzy, I could not open that link. This is the one I saw. I think it could be the same one on your link you posted. Joe

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/explore_our_collections/objects/index/smxg-29936

This is the one in the museum.

• Like 2

Sorry, that you cannot open the link - indeed this is the same machine, although different photo. Incredible, that he flown on his own wings from US to UK across Atlantic!!!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

That's very nice. Nice plane, nice kit, nice build............

It looks a bit more tatty than mine (:>) but it's probably more correct to the pics. Although every plane must have been brand new once.

• Like 1

That is a nice build. I built one for my Dad a few years back when he was writing "Top Secret Boeing" (with yellow undersides :) ) and didn't find it the most user friendly of kits but got there in the end. A second to be done as DZ203 with a silver finish remains in the stash to be built at some point.

Re. the Wroughton Boeing 247D, we arranged a visit and had a good look around some photos of which can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/73728533@N06/sets/72157637390044093/

Edit: found a link to my build : http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/9314/Williams-Bros-Boeing-247D-as-RAF-DZ203#.VUt5wflViko

Edited by Defford
  • Like 1

Thank you Ed and Defford for interesting comments.

Defford - please pass my best regards and congratulation to your Dad for the his interresting book! About yellow - you know this latin phrase - "Amicus Plato sed magis amica veritas". I really belive that undersurface was sky, but it does not mean that I not admiring the book in all other aspects :) I like the book very much. And many thanks for links.

Ed, regarding weathering - at the beginning I wanted to do even much destroyed paint - as you may see on the photo here:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/cw1/b247/b247-5.jpg

The right wing, especially a middle surface painted DE looks like a lot of small squeres with badly, almost totaly weathered all areas not supported by ribs or other construction elments. But I gave up, unfortunately. It was simply beyond my skills and perhaps also beyond my time I want to devote to model....That a sad true... BTW - I think that some of the weathering of DZ203 was done perhaps during transport of the plane on see - have a Iook please on the vertical tail, the strange diagonal scarfs could be due to covering of tail with some cloths which blowed in the wind (I hope it is clear what I mean)...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jerzy!!!!!

I have seen there are many masterworks i have missed here from a very long time ago!!!!

This one is a very elusive model from my collection, but like a lot to watch a wonderful done masterwork from your nice "Skunk Works", hope when I find one to make a military version too.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,ç

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis! - still some 247s are around on e-bay-like portals. You may do also US Army or RCAF or Chine military ones...

Best regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 years later...