Airfix 1/72 Fw-190 A8 - now finished

MPaul

So here is my entry for the GB.

Its the new tool Airfix 1/72 Fw-190 A8. This one is the gift set version, so has different markings, and I picked it up for the extortionate sum of £4.99 in Aldi a couple of weeks ago.

1390933261_picsay-1390933261_zpsxb7elavd

1390933398_picsay-1390933398_zpssnwzxci1

Its going to be built OOB except for a couple of additional decals on the tail plane.

• Like 2

Thanks!

I may not get to start this tomorrow, as despite being my day off, my Tornado still lingers on the bench, and I don't have room to have then both on the go.

Hopefully get this started some time next week.

• Like 1

Cheating already. :badmood: Are you saying an Airfix starter set doesn't include seatbelts or the means to paint some masking tape to scratch some? How are we ever to attract new blood into the hobby when they can't even get this right.... :weep:

• Like 1

Lol, I know terrible. The kit paints are silver, black, grey, and dark grey.

The heavy sprue gates are a little bit of an issue, broke one of the foot rests in the cockpit, whilst very carefully removing it from the main sprue. It was like the part was under tension, held at 4 corners. I cut through one, and the part just twisted and snapped at another point.

To be honest though, I doubt it will be seen down under the IP.

Is that the part located next to the pilot seat on the sprue shot?? It's annoying when it does that. Do you use cutters or a knife to remove parts?

At least it will be buried in the pit at the end of the day...

It was indeed. I was going to use some cutters and cut it from the main sprue, then a knife to trim off the gates, but as i began using the cutters, it began twisting, so I suspected then to have problems.

I used a brand new 10a Swann Morton blade and still it broke. I think the problem is, that because the sprue gates are so much bigger than some of the parts, any stress easily transfers to the weakest point - which is the part, so makes them likely to break.

It happened to one of my inboard cannon too, so am considering modelling this one in flight., as there is a section missing within the wheel bay.

1391884280_picsay-1391884280_zpsmu6opn8q

1391885455_picsay-1391885455_zpsyzhoaegj

Well, not done much more as I have been at work. But started killing two birds with one stone tonight.

The overly thick wing trailing edges (i am sure that I read somewhere they would be 3 foot thick in scale!), as well as the scalloped fabric sections. These were drum tight on real aircraft, only being able to see the rib tapes.

1391968426_picsay-1391968426_zpsna5xgasc

The right side definitely looks mush better now, does that also help with the "3ft" trailing edges?

EDIT: oops, didn’t realize there was another page, both sides look much better now.

Looking great all around! :)

Edited by kwaterous

The right side definitely looks mush better now, does that also help with the "3ft" trailing edges?

EDIT: oops, didnt realize there was another page, both sides look much better now.

Looking great all around! :)

Yes it does, I thinned them out on both wings too. Wasn't able to get a good photo of that though.

Looking good. Are you going to put this on a stand?

Yeah, going to have it in flight on an airfix stand for now, then perhaps make myself a nicer stand at a later date

• Like 1