1/48 Airfix Messerschmitt Bf109F +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Second build! Issued in 1978 and superseded by many kits (Hasegawa/ICM/Zvezda). I have bought some Sky decals for this and I'm not sure which I will do - I have just been reading part 1 of Air War in the Med by Christopher Shores so I fancy a desert F!

Box-shots etc...

013_zps69ae7a5b.jpg

014_zps290b3e69.jpg

015_zps8160180b.jpg

I was going to do this in flight but have decided against this. See you soon!

Your work bench/kitchen counter must be getting a bit crowded Andy? :lol: That decal sheet has plenty to it - certainly more parts than the kit anyway!

Last bit of modelling before Saturday

Sprayed RLM 02 onto all the innards - I've decided to mount this on a stand in flight so the little guy will be sat in here - not going to go OTT on the detail painting

001_zps9c216d68.jpg

Flory wash and some detail painting for those obvious bits. The control column went AWOL and a piece of rod will have to do instead

002_zps87de9109.jpg

003_zps9fa5a52e.jpg

The 'pit was then glued into one half and left to set. The driver is under primer in my garage ready for painting. I'm almost certainly going to a Western Desert F, so he will be in desert trim. I might try and buy some canopy masks at Telford!

004_zps1033fd97.jpg

More next week and thanks for looking.

Cracking on quietly with this. It's a nice kit - there has been a bit of filling but that may have been my ham-handedness in fitting the cowl pieces. Generally it's not been too bad.

Main problem has been that the desert air filter pieces have gone AWOL (not even sure they were ever in the kit tbh - it was an eBay purchase) so my idea of a JG27 build has gone...

Sadly I had already painted the pilot in anticipation of that...hey-ho :shrug: I'm leaving him as he is and I'm going to do an early F based in N. France in 1941/2 instead. This means MOTTLING! :analintruder: something I have resolutely avoided!

Anyway here she is buttoned up and sanded

007_zps371326ac.jpg

As you can see I had drilled out the holes ready for the desert filter and had to re-fill and sand

001_zps0239d6c2.jpg

Bought a canopy mask at Telford for the Zvezda F and it fits OK to the Airfix and this was applied and the canopy glued in place

002_zpsdfac5e97.jpg

Underside radiators fitted and undersides filled and sanded

003_zpsd590a247.jpg

The prop boss has parted company with the fuselage and is rattling around merrily inside so I may just glue the prop or look at another way of attachment. Anyhow she is in for primer.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Nice work on the pilot and general construction Andy. Pity about the tropical filter - may be worth putting a post in the wanted section to see if anyone has a spare.

Good work! Do a JG53 (EDIT: your decal sheet seems to have the "Pik As" emblems) plane in Sicily so you don´t need the trop filter but your pilot can bask in the sun with his tropicals. Regards, V-P

Edited by vppelt68

Thanks Col, Steve and vpp...I did consider asking on here in the wanted section but then I thought that this GB would be the perfect opportunity to lay the mottling ghost to rest...so I will get my paint queen out (an old Monogram P-40 that I screwed up) and PRACTICE :thumbsup:

The Sicily idea is a good one but I'm kind of limited with available decals and a nice yellow nosed F in RLM 70/02/65 will do just fine

Doug that's a really kind offer - I may revert to you if the trial RLM 70/02/65 looks cr*p and I admit defeat and go back to RLM 78/79! Thanks

Hi all

the Friedrich has been primed, so while I had the airbrush full of Tamiya White for my A-4, I sprayed an undercoat to the nose, rudder, spinner, backplate and rear fuselage ready for the RLM 04

003_zpsff752ff2.jpg

Then sprayed Xtracrylix RLM 04 in two coats

004_zpsb95111da.jpg

This was then tightly masked and Lifecolor RLM 02 was sprayed as the first part of the splinter camouflage

006_zps060ea7d6.jpg

Next up (tomorrow) will be the RLM 71 splinter and hopefully by the evening the RLM 65 Hellblau will be done as well.. Thanks for looking

So here I am way out of my comfort zone - having lost the desert intake bits I am forced to do a Northern Europe/Eastern Front 109 which means mottling!

I masked up the RLM 02 with a splinter scheme and the sprayed the RLM 71...all well and good with no bleed :thumbsup:

001_zps2f868edf.jpg

The it was onto the Lifecolor RLM 65 - I cannot praise these paints highly enough - they are fantastic! The lighting has washed out the colour in the picture but it looks way more accurate than Xtracrylix

005_zpsc78e3d93.jpg

Next up was...clean the airbrush thoroughly and practice on my paint queen. 15psi with and light pressure with the cup loaded with RLM 71...a big deep breath and on we went...this was the first pass...

011_zps358621c4.jpg

012_zps62e6ad33.jpg

I then went for a lighter 'swish' across to darken the mottle...

013_zpsf68b510c.jpg

014_zps4a4bd20f.jpg

The I took the masking off the upper fuselage and had a third pass to remove the delineation between the 02/71 and the 65 again mottling. It seems to have worked! Here she is with all the masking tape removed and the RLM 04 in Technicolor!

015_zps9621342c.jpg

I will sand out the seam line. I'm well pleased with that and have slain a modelling dragon in completing it. God...I may even try other Luftwaffe stuff!

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Thanks Doug, V-P and Col - much appreciated! Also thanks Trevor - the Colgate bottle is my airbrush cleaner 'dump'! Could be an interesting re-cycle exercise on a What-If!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm calling this done! Finished as a 109F of 9/JG2 in Caen, 1942 piloted by Oberleutnant Roders.

Thanks to all for watching and all comments welcome as ever!

001_zpse5fa9bec.jpg

002_zpsfe8f6d1e.jpg

003_zps305e76cb.jpg

004_zpsa86c3254.jpg

005_zps03c7906a.jpg

006_zpsd9bff009.jpg

007_zps0f4fd58e.jpg

008_zps9834ca06.jpg

• Like 1