Airfix 1/72 Typhoon

Hi all!

It's been a while but I finally made a push and finished it. Or so I thought, having noticed as I put the camera away I had forgotten to fit the pitot tube and radio antenna (a bit of copper electrical wire). I guess you can use your imagination. The two rockets missing are going to be having the fuses fitted by some ground crew when I get round to doing a little diorama (my first try...) Even in 72nd this kit has a good 'presence' - well done Airfix.

Only minor niggle that's not really fixable is the slightly undersized spinner: there's a wee 'step' to the nose cowling, thought it's probably my poor workmanship more than anything!

IMG_0085_zps7fa85379.jpg

IMG_0087_zpse80713f7.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsac82414d.jpg

IMG_0090_zps84d2b70f.jpg

IMG_0094_zpsfe7bc456.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsa07b0694.jpg

• Like 3

Thats the airfix kit? Really? Wow.

I picked that up a while ago and gave up, turned it into a scrap kit to practice new techniques on

Haha, not the one you're probably thinking of! It's a completely new tool, released only last month I think. Got it by chance impulse in the LMS without realising how much people were raving about it until I got it together. It really is a gem in almost all aspects, especially for £6!

I'm more into 1/48 scale for WWII fighter aircraft, but everytime I see one of these thypoons made up, it makes me want to build one! This is another very fine example of what looks to be an excellent, and most importantly fun little kit.

I really like the look of the Canadian Tiffies and you`ve done a fantastic job apart from one thing,.......the RCAF Tiffie units did not carry rockets and were purely bomb carriers,.....sorry about that, especially as you`ve gone and made some wonderful pig tails too!

Apart from that,....it is a fantastic model,

Cheers

Tony O

Thanks all.

Val - just do it! I'm really a 1/48th man too but the typhoon is such a large aircraft it looks good in small scale too - the wheels on this are actually larger than the 1/48 Raiden I finished previously!

It was fun indeed - though if you do, watch the way the various cockpit bits go together when you join the fuselage. Irritatingly I found I had the instrument board BEHIND one of the flanges it's supposed to sit on after everything had set. Obviously you can't really see this but it was one of the reasons I chose to do the cockpit closed ;)

The instructions are a little misleading in that area. You get painting directions for both rockets and bombs in the guide for both decal options, implying you can use either for each aeroplane.

Haha, not the one you're probably thinking of! It's a completely new tool, released only last month I think. Got it by chance impulse in the LMS without realising how much people were raving about it until I got it together. It really is a gem in almost all aspects, especially for £6!

It would have to be. Ill have a look for it.

Wow-that's a great looking model.Very nice paint job,particularly the underside. Think I may have to get one of these.

Thanks for posting.

Funnily enough I was least happy with the work on the underside. I used vallejo acrylic wash and oils for the panel lines but the acrylic is really hard to 'drag' across the surface for a realistic effect; it tends to bunch up and dry in rings around the areas you originally applied it and dries so fast it's hard to keep on top of it. Maybe I'm just not doing it right! Tips welcome...