1/48 Spitfire 21, from Hobbycraft and Airfix Parts

Had some spare bits left over from other Spitfire builds , so this one is a bit of a FrankenSpit, consisting of a suitably modified Hobbycraft XIV fuselage and Airfix Seafire 46 wings, with an ICM cockpit and various AM bits. Decals a mix of Airfix Spit XII leftovers, ICM stencils (ugh!), various bits from the spares box and home-made serials.

This represents a rather well-worn example of 91 (Nigeria) Sqn, Southampton/Eastleigh, early 1946.

spit21-12_zps3eac2172.jpg

spit21-11_zps400baaf5.jpg

spit21-10_zps52b87494.jpg

The Hobbycraft kit had it's upper cowling replaced by a Quickboost resin part, and the lower severely sanded down. The fin on this kit is too broad, so it was cut back to proper shape using the Airfix XIX as a template. The ICM cockpit was a simple fit into the fuselage - just a little sanding.

The Airfix wings are basically out of the box. The Hobbycraft fuselage/wing fairings needed to be re-shaped and sanded down to size, as the Airfix wings are a lot thinner than the intended Hobbycraft ones.

Radiators from the Hobbycraft kit - a little shallow for the 21, but they look OK. The prop is a Cooper Details resin one.

Weathering is a mix of pre- and post-shading, with some CMK powders and a light panel line wash. It might look a bit overdone, but you should see the state of the aircraft in the photo I based this on!

I hope you like it!

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 4

That looks great Paul, I'm going down the Aeroclub route for my F21.

Typical isn't it, when I was collecting my stash for various marks of Spit, I got the Aeroclub 21 Spitfire and Mk17 Seafire conversions , the Kiwi Resin MkXV Seafire conversion, Airwaves MkXII Spitfire conversion. Now you can either get the exact kit or make it by swapping parts like you've done.

:rolleyes: Ah well, good for practising with different medias I guess!

Cheers, guys!

Of course, this is now easier with the Airfix XIX around....But I had the Hobbycraft kit to hand and didn't want to fork out for the Airfix kit when I could do it htis way. A bit more work, but, as you say Doug, makes for good practise!

Edited by Paul Bradley

Great work , like the Wooksta said a good kitbash can be great fun , and that's what modelling should be about. I've built a F21 and a Seafire 45 along the same lines , so can appreciate the work that has gone into this one.

Andrew