1/200 Arizona - Finished and moved to RFI

nick

Been considering how I'm going to display this beast, so I will be having a go at turning some Ali pedestals today which I will bolt through the hull before I go any further. I wan to get all of he 'heavy engineering' out of the way before I start adding any detail to the hull. I have also been working out a painting sequence as I don't want to mask my deck.this thing is a puzzle as well as a model.

Nick

Right this is serious now. This thing made me change my lens! My trusty 60mm prime macro model lens would need to be in the next room to fit this monster in, so I've had to use my 24-105 L series. (and the dining room table)

Anyway, the model. I've been beavering away all week painting this beast. I'd forgotten what a pain enamels are, by the time I'd got three colours hardened enough to mask off, three coats etc, there goes a week.

I've decided not to overly weather this as reading up on it, seemed to have spent most of it's life getting painted. I've seen a lot of otherwise great ship models that just get painted in the base colour and look like toys despite lashings of PE and effort, so what I am going for here is just enough shading and tonal detail to get some realism without it being overly weathered. See what you think. The glue'n'glaze is still drying if some of the portholes look white BTW.

8416827068_c951ea40fb_b.jpg

I've planned my painting carefully so I don't need to mask the decks. So I have near finished the hull as you can see, and will now start on the next level up. When construction is finished, I will pre-paint the railings and start working my way up with them, theoretically, I will just need a coat of matt to take the shine of any CA that may be visible. We will see!

8416827596_d4506d4a17_b.jpg

8415732111_6f33ac4264_b.jpg

8416828742_6f27993aee_b.jpg

8415733073_1361e53c55_b.jpg

8415733523_ba80cc6739_b.jpg

8416830092_1b653c75ed_b.jpg

8415734885_13ba07a17c_b.jpg

As I say, I'm making this up as I go along, boat experts out there, feel free to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

She's coming along nicely, can't really add anything other than perhaps giving the rust a bit but depth around the hawsepipes, (anchor holes), etc. I too ususally give my ships a light spray of matt varnish to flatten the glossy CA or Hypo GA I use for railings.

can't really add anything other than perhaps giving the rust a bit but depth around the hawsepipes, (anchor holes), etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I have only used washes so far, and always intended to give the anchors, chains and hawespipes (see what I did there? slipped in my new technical term like I know what it means, although in fairness it does sound like what someone from Sheffield waters their garden with )a good going over with MIG pigments to get that 3D rust thing you mention.

Thanks

Nick

In case you are wondering, Any grey lines you can see are because nothing is glued down yet. I am trying to paint and weather everything as sub assemblies and re-touch at the end. Remains to be seen if this works.

Nick

Very impressive Nick, I can see a nice glass display case will be required

to keep the dust off all that fine work, It's looking better than the Friday
night when I saw it in the flesh, wasn't sure about the adding the glass to the portholes
but seeing it no close up it was the right thing to do.

:goodjob:

Dan

Most sub assemblies built now and the whole thing mocked up off the first time. I will put some pictures up on Thursday when I'm back home.

Nick

You're going to need more than 1 day in re-hab after that little lot Nick,

Superb work as well.

Chris.

In my defence it does have aeroplanes stuck to it. Just think of it as the logical next step after the Arado.. I'm just building the rest of the catapult.

:)

Nick

Out of Rehab now Chris, heres the fotos:-

8434201712_a5e7f71757_b.jpg

8433116269_0b2840ba02_b.jpg

8433116843_5081903d26_b.jpg

8434205304_9268e36221_b.jpg

This thing has got a flotilla of boats attached to it (note use of another nautical term there! I'll be shivering me mainbrace before I know it)

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still chipping away at this, quite a bit of progress, but no pictures, still several miles of railings and ladders to go, but a lot of the paint on now, just got the turrets and towers left to do, almost finished detailing them.

Nick

cor Nick thats fantastic,lovely neat build, makes me wanna get mine out, but I find it a little large & intimidating....ooo errr misses!

what AM have you used?

Edited by sinnerboy

The monster build continues. There’s nothing particularly difficult about this, there’s just a bloody lot of it.

8505133708_7a53744d7c_b.jpg

8504027247_aa18d40935_b.jpg

8504029485_99f18651b9_b.jpg

8504028309_857cf18d8b_b.jpg

8505138142_ba9341e0d9_b.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick
  • Like 1