1/48 Hercules

Hi All,

Many thanks for the comments received so far, its certainly helped me keep motivated.

I've put the ramps on as described above. I repainted the upper surfaces in Humbrol 125 to match the ramp, a task made easier since I could turn them down. Thanks to Hawkkeeper for this advice.

IMG_3844.jpg

The problem with PE is that once you've used some of it its hard to get a match without it!

For the other point, I kept the rail narrow so I could still paint the reflectors in the corners. I'm not sure how this works out but I tried the result with a Bren Carrier as this is the only trundley I have which might fit in a Herk.

IMG_3845.jpg

That fits OK. I've also done the last of the aerials so nearly there!

Colin

the a/c's rear load door should touch the ground when ramps are used to get the head clearance for the oncoming load, so the angle is reduced as much as posible,

if you do a load door to truck or loader transfer there is a seperate strut which is placed on the ground & it supports the rear edge of the a/c load door, when I worked on role equip at lyneham years ago, these foots were bright orange & called elephants feet, one per a/c normally carried onboard.

This link shows an RNZAF C130H ready to load an RNZAF UH-1H

note the cargo ramp down to ground and ramps (grey/white) to allow loading.

http://ukmamsoba.org/mystery_rnzaf_060509.jpg

Earlier shot of C 130H in Green.Grey camo- good shot of ramp

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/pages/anherc20.html

This shot showing a Herky in a simulated STOL off loading a NZ Army Scorpion

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/pages/ohkc130c.html

Regards

Alan

That last shot reminds me of the 50th Anniversary Air Show at Ohakea (I was there with RAAF Mirages). I must have seen the battlefield demo about 20 times between Ohakea and Whenuapia. Anyway they did nopt bother to drop the ramp that low. it was opened level with the ground the Scorpion just drove off the back and the Herk departed post hast.

Aha, the plot thickens...

Thanks for the 3 links. The second one was the one I used for the underside detail to deduce the Flightpath set was wrong. I take the point made earlier that the UK ones might be smooth but this is quite clear for the RNZAF. The pic loading the Huey is interesting. I have one in the 'Gateway to the Ice' book unloading a Huey but like all the shots the ramps are hard to see and its a black and white pic anyway. One of the problems of making 50's and 60's planes is that colour film was expensive!

I love the Scorpion tank coming out. I might try and see if I can find one at Telford.

Cheers

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Well here we are at the end of the road.

The last few decals took forever, mainly through the complexities of the home printer deciding it didn't want to talk to any of the computers. Ive added the door, aerials and last few decals so will determine it finished. Here's the last shot on the bench and I'll post some more pictures in 'Ready for inspection'

If you are one of the 10,000 people who have viewed this and plan to visit Telford then please come and see us on the NZ stand next week end. To all those others, thanks for looking and thanks to all those who posted and sent me links and references, particularly Pete and Andy from the NZ SIG.

IMG_3839.jpg

Cheers

Colin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...