Captured a/c flown by the RAF

Does anyone know for sure whether captured enemy aircraft such as the Fw190s that the RAF had were painted in DE/DG after 1942? Or did they switch to DG/OG over yellow? I've seen them illustrated both ways.

What, you mean like colour photos? There are a couple! I have them on my HD somewhere

It seems the Fw190s were green/earth, but the later 109s were Green/Grey - RN228 seemed to have a very light grey, but it's probably an effect of Ocean grey

Edited by Dave Fleming

May I ask a couple of additional questions relating to captured RAF airframes?

1 - Would the aircraft retain their guns after capture?

2 - Were any Fw 190D's operated by the RAF's Enemy Aircraft Flight?

With regard to the 190D's, I cannot find any record of RAF D's in War Prizes but there is a picture which shows the nose of a long nosed Fw but no mention of which Mk. in the accompanying text although I guess it could be a Ta 152!

If it isn't in War Prizes, it probably wasn't there. I think the first one obtained in any decent condition to study (although not to fly) was not until Jan 1st 1945. There wouldn't have been any incentive to hand one over to the Enemy Aircraft Flight at this stage of the war, and besides Farnborough would head the queue!

May I ask a couple of additional questions relating to captured RAF airframes?

1 - Would the aircraft retain their guns after capture?

Don't know, although they may have left them in for performance characteristics

2 - Were any Fw 190D's operated by the RAF's Enemy Aircraft Flight?

With regard to the 190D's, I cannot find any record of RAF D's in War Prizes but there is a picture which shows the nose of a long nosed Fw but no mention of which Mk. in the accompanying text although I guess it could be a Ta 152!

No Doras test flown by the RAF, although there is always the possibility that an as yet unknown one carried RAF markings in Germany (Never say never!). The RAE did examine the wreck of at least one D. As you say, the long nosed 190 test flown as a TA152H.

Dave

In the book "Air Gunner" the author was stationed in Malta. He and some friends were walking home, and they saw a German flyingboat (in full German colours and markings) emerge from a hanger, and take-off. They reported it to their IO (Intel Offr). They then received a dressing-down, and threatened with dire consequences if they EVER revealed what they saw.

Dunno what sort of aircraft it was. I don't have the book in front of me.

George, out......................

Not a flying boat but the He115 floatplane. Its history (strictly more than one, but not I think at Malta) is well recorded, and (without checking) will be in War Prizes.

War Prizes is a bit vague (It's almost 20 years old now!) - a fair bit more has come out since then, not all of it consistent, but sheds more light on the operations.

Back to Jenning's original question regarding captured Me-109's and Fw-190's............

Three books published by Kecay with author Jacek Jackiewicz are excellent sources:-

Captured Me-109's

Captured Butcherbirds, Volume 1

Fw-190 in Foreign Service

These have colour profiles and are very modeller friendly, showing the original photos and indicating where artistic licence has necessarily been applied.

As I recollect, early 109's and 190's had the green/brown/yellow and later captives (or re-paints) carried the OG/DG over yellow scheme. There are as many exceptions as there are rule-followers.

Andy

Currently reading Wings on my sleeve my Eric Winkle Brown, excellent so far, also have Wings of the Luftwaffe also by him also. This tells of all the captured types that he flew during and after the war, some great stories on how the aircraft were captured.

Both books are essential reading for any Luftwaffe nut, like myself.

In the book "Air Gunner" the author was stationed in Malta. He and some friends were walking home, and they saw a German flyingboat (in full German colours and markings) emerge from a hanger, and take-off. They reported it to their IO (Intel Offr). They then received a dressing-down, and threatened with dire consequences if they EVER revealed what they saw.

Dunno what sort of aircraft it was. I don't have the book in front of me.

George, out......................

Similar tale in Ron Gillman's "The Shiphunters".

One example at least the answer is 'no'

Thanks for the picture, my current plan is to finish the Airfix 1/48 'E as DG200 after it lost it's canopy but cannot find any conclusive picture which confirms if the nose guns where removed!

Edited by Tony C