Eduard Fw-190 A-8

I've decided to spray the RVD band on before fitting the engine. I've done this to get all the masking out of the way so as not to risk knocking of the cowl whilst doing it, you've all seen i'm prone to bouts of clumsiness and still being without my thumb isn't helping!

After a quick blast of Mr Surfacer in the general area I did a random pre shade with RLM66.

DSC_0956.jpg

Followed by the White.

DSC_0958.jpg

With my scale rule marked out the white area and masked off.

DSC_0961.jpg

Then on went the RLM04.

DSC_0963.jpg

You can just about make out the randomness of the colours, I don't want anything to solid.

A shot showing the paints and thinners used.

DSC_0962.jpg

I use a Iwatta Revolution for priming, Klearing and general spraying.

Coming along nicely!
Cheers we're almost there now.
I like that. Good idea to do the band first. Don't know why I have never done that before lol! Top build mate - coming on very nicely.

I like to get the band done first so I don't get my grubby finger prints all over the paint work whilst masking.

nice progress am i looking at a JG 301 machine (the plot thickens)

No Mick your looking at a JG2 machine. Quite a rare one as well, this is the first JG2 kite i've seen with the yellow/white/yellow RVD band. There is a slight chance it could have been a JG6 kite with red/white/red Band again that would be a rare machine as JG6 only used them briefly before their transfer to the Eastern Front after that they ceased using them. But i'm going to go with the decal scheme.

That's coming together very nicely Tim.

I'm looking forward to seeing the camo going on.

Steve

Cheers Steve, you won't have to wait long as you will now see.

After masking off the yellow areas I finally got round to mounting the engine and cowl which thankfully all fit like a treat. Afterwards I fixed the Master barrels to the under side of the gun cowl and fixed that in place also.

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

DSC_0972.jpg

As you can see the wing gun covers have had all the gaps sorted.

One last thing i've decided to do is the windscreen wash system, this was done with lead wire and Bare Metal Foil for the fixings.

DSC_0976.jpg

So after what seems like an age i'm about ready to throw some paint on her. I'll check the seams etc tomorrow and take it from there.

Very very nice Tim. You must be pleased with the overall fit of the upper gun cowling, wing root covers and QB cowling you have achieved. I am looking forward to the remainder of the build.

The windscreen washing system is a great addition which I was considering but hadn't committed to as yet. The reference I have found says the pipes sit at the back of the upper gun bay and come up just either side of the gun panel hinge. I am just not sure if they are before and after the rear gun bay firewall panel (I think it is exposed but I am a pessimist!) which would mean some more plumbing for me in the aft gun bay firewall area. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Never even conciderd screen wash pipes before but now they have been pointed out they are a good bit of visible detail . Will do these on mine . Q/boost got the cowl just right unlike their gun covers and i supose thank goodness its that way around.

Very very nice Tim. You must be pleased with the overall fit of the upper gun cowling, wing root covers and QB cowling you have achieved. I am looking forward to the remainder of the build.

The windscreen washing system is a great addition which I was considering but hadn't committed to as yet. The reference I have found says the pipes sit at the back of the upper gun bay and come up just either side of the gun panel hinge. I am just not sure if they are before and after the rear gun bay firewall panel (I think it is exposed but I am a pessimist!) which would mean some more plumbing for me in the aft gun bay firewall area. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Cheers Kent, yeah i'm more than happy with how it as all gone together. I did at times wonder if I had bitten off more than I could chew with all the a/m stuff i've used bearing in mind these kits have a bit of a reputation.

As for the washer pipes i've found them with both 2 pipes as in 1 either side of the cowl hinge and just the 1. It looks to me that you're going to have to fix them to the front face of the upper bulkhead, the 2 pipes join in the middle if using the said 2 pipes.

Excellent work Tim.

Nice to see the screen wash pipes going on. Not a lot of people bother with them.

And yes, I've still to do mine :)

Steve

Cheers Steve, i'd decided the other day that I was going to put them on, it took me around a hour to do but i'm glad I did them now.

Never even conciderd screen wash pipes before but now they have been pointed out they are a good bit of visible detail . Will do these on mine . Q/boost got the cowl just right unlike their gun covers and i supose thank goodness its that way around.

Yeah that cowl is a peach compared to the gun cowls like you say just as well really. Have you had a look at the link Neil gave me? The next one I build closed up i'll just fix the engine straight into the cowl, there is no need for the engine bearers, take a look at it.

You've got that 190 together superbly. I also like the windscreen wash pipes, and until seeing this, I never knew that such a system was fitted. Cue a rash of windscreen wash lines going onto kits in this GB. And we can all blame you Tim lol! That said, it's the type of top detail work which I'd expect in a build of yours. Keep up the top work!

You've got that 190 together superbly. I also like the windscreen wash pipes, and until seeing this, I never knew that such a system was fitted. Cue a rash of windscreen wash lines going onto kits in this GB. And we can all blame you Tim lol! That said, it's the type of top detail work which I'd expect in a build of yours. Keep up the top work!

Cheers Andy, yeah I guessed there would be, I sales of lead wire will be up anyway!

Nice mate, like that extra bit of detail that you add to all your builds, very nice to see. Keep up the fine work.

Cheers Kev, I always like to try and add a personal touch no matter how small it is.

Nice work so far! :)

Thanks for the comment.

Looking good, love the attention to detail, those Master barrels look great.

Thanks, you don't really notice how good those Master Barrels actually are until you see them posted up on here.

Made the first steps to painting it today. I primed it with Mr Surfacer 1000 which dries nice and smooth.

DSC_0982.jpg

The thing is now, I made the gun cowl to good a fit and you can hardly see the joint line! I ought to run a scriber down it really but the edge of the cowl was pretty thin and I don't want to risk it popping open.

The under surface, obviously!

DSC_0983.jpg

For this build i'm going to try and get the annoying bits sprayed up and out of the road first as I normally stall on things like this so onto the u/c covers and flaps etc went some RLM76 lightened in places with a tad of white followed by a thin coat of plain 76 to blend things in. I'll take a look at them tomorrow as things look different the next day.

DSC_0981.jpg

I'll buff the primer up and make a start on the fuselage tomorrow hopefully. I always like to give whatever i've painted at least a night, before applying another colour.

This is art. I'm speechless. Can't wait to see some paint on her.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that, but cheers anyway.

Today i've sprayed some RLM76 on the undersurface and fuselage sides. I didn't bother to pre shade. The paints I used for this were Gunze RLM76, Gunze white and Tamiya Sky Grey.

DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_0991.jpg

As part of the wing under surface is to be NMF I sprayed the area near the wing joint with Alclad Duraluminium masked off, and sprayed the fuselage under side.

DSC_0987.jpg

With a bit of luck i'll get some more colour on it tomorrow.

Looking good bud, really need to get my hands on some Alclad. Loving the build so far.

Cheers Nick, this is my first time out with Alclad so i'm in unknown territory.

Nice work Tim.

Nice clean mat as well. :whistle:

Thanks Steve, its cleaner than the shed floor at the moment, after i've just knocked a full bottle of Gunze over!

Very nice work Tim. I like the contrast with the Alclad and 76 undersides.

Cheers Andy, i've got a few shades of Alclad to play with, wouldn't do to have everything the same shade.

Today i've made a start with the fuselage uppers and applied a few mottles, using Gunze RLM81 and RLM82 with a dash of 83 as the Gunze 82 is a tad to light.

DSC_1001.jpg

DSC_0999.jpg

DSC_0998.jpg

Thats where I am at the moment as bad light stopped play, still a lot of work to do yet as those mottles look like they've just been stuck there and i've got to shade the 81 and 82 yet.

This is really looking impressive mate, shall be following your painting guide, book marking it for further reference.

Cheers, although at the moment i'm not sure if I like it or not.