* Spitfire Mk.I/II

Latest update.

The wings were glued on, but it all went Pete Tong, and the fuselage was out of whack. See here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18948

So, the old girl's just come out of major surgery, and everything's ok. The wings are off, and she'll be fine after a bit of glueing, sanding and rescribing.

It's weird. It's almost as if the fuselage will have to be shimmed higher on one side in order to sit vertically in the wings. I'll then have to sand the buggery out of one side in order to get the wing root flush.

I must have bought a warped kit, as I've never come across this before.

Anyone got any smart ideas on how to set up a home made wing alignment jig to make sure I set it right this time?

Cheers,

Nick

Lego? Balsa wood? Trick I always do with Spitfires is glue the top wings to the fuselage at the correct angle let set, then glue the bottom wing on with a big rubber band around the wings from wing tip to wing tip, seems to avoid alot of problems later.

Lego? Balsa wood? Trick I always do with Spitfires is glue the top wings to the fuselage at the correct angle let set, then glue the bottom wing on with a big rubber band around the wings from wing tip to wing tip, seems to avoid alot of problems later.

I couldn't agree more Leigh.

I invariably never have alignment or wing root gap problems following that routine. One more point is not to glue the bulkheads at the bottom to allow a bit of freedom of movement - allows for getting that 6 degrees dihedral. Not just Spitfires too.

Dave

Hi Nick.

Now I understand the problems you mentioned in the "Cursed Hunter" post. There really does seem to be something peculiar about the Spit wings. As I just posted a Revell 1/32 Mk 22/24 Spit here recently I'll now have to go back and check the wings.

Bugrittall! :banghead:

Right. Hopefully this'll get the flipping thing cracked.

_D9O1611.jpg

The wings were taped to the desk. 20mm measured on each side from desk to the mid point of the furthest out gun barrel.

Fuselage inserted in, and shimmed on the left side as you look at it. 36.5mm on each side from the desk to the lower part of the slot for the exhausts, and 40mm on each side from the desk to the forward point of the rear wing attachment.

Hell, I've even got a spirit level on the fuselage behind the pilot centred and level.

Wings then glued in with sprue/glue gloop.

If this doesn't look right afterwards, then you can call me a monkeys uncle.

Nick von Gibbon

Right. Hopefully this'll get the flipping thing cracked.

If this doesn't look right afterwards, then you can call me a monkeys uncle.

Nick von Gibbon

You must be joking... After all that I wouldn't dare! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a little progress on the Spitfire, mostly on correcting the alignment of the wing root, which needed shimming on one side to make the fuselage sit straight.

The offending article, shimmed on the left hand side as you look at it..

_D9O9017.jpg

This produced a large step, which I didn't photograph.

Here it is, sanded to buggery with 200 grit paper..

_D9O9024.jpg

_D9O9013.jpg

The wing root join on the other side fitted flush, but still needed filler..

_D9O9015.jpg

As did every other gap..

_D9O9023.jpg

_D9O9022.jpg

_D9O9016.jpg

She looks like a plasterer's radio!

Still on the sanding phase at this stage.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
The sweetheart will be beaten...

Today's update.

Rear wings on, elevators dropped, more sanding, filling, sanding..

_D9O0374.jpg

Next step rescribe what got sanded off, and then, we may just be ready for the paintshop..

Cheers,

Nick

Well done Nick.

Real Spitfire builders always drop the elevators (or scratch build something to keep them leve).

Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Right!

My glacially slow modelling speed is quickening slightly as it's a quiet Dubai summer, massive economic downturn, and I've got very little work, so I can get a little bit of plastic tickling done whenever possible!

The undersides are now sprayed sky, and I've just fitted the first masked part of the canopy to her. On to masking the bubble and windshield, and then onto the camo spray!

Hoping to get this finished sometime this year!

Hi Nick,

I used bits of sponge to fill the cockpit when I am spraying an open cockpit, plus masking tape to plug the gaps, on Spitfires I sometimes use BluTac to fix the side hatch in place.

Cheers

Den

SpitfireXIIBuild033.jpg