Tamiya Jaguar XJR-9LM (1:24)

Next on the list is this:

b9V667sw.jpg

The intention is to use the Studio 27 photo-etch set, carbon decals and Silk Cut logos (all aftermarket) plus additional scratchbuilt engine refinements.

Hopefully it will form 1/3 of my Group C project, the others being the Tamiya Sauber C9 (but using the Revell "Kouros" decals, and finally the Tamiya Rothmans Porsche 956. All with full engine detail.

So I made a start today. I bought the technical analysis book from a shop on Amazon (only £11) and it's a useful reference.

ZduPuLs4.jpg

I've also contacted Jaguar Heritage and they are sending me some engine detail photos I requested (they were very helpful).

Going for the Full Monty on this one, so I got the Studio27 etch set and some Tamiya seat belts. I was also given some machined electrical connectors:

bZBevBFI.jpg

One thing I need is scale braided hose. A contact gave me a sample of some cast white metal stuff, but it is extremely expensive. I also picked up some elasticated nylon braid from Hobbycraft fr 35p per metre. If anything, once overcoated with satin varish it looks more realistic:

zuly9dDM.jpg

One thing I couldn't find were machined aluminium inlet trumpets to replace the plastic ones which are too tapered and, well, plastic. I'm modelling mine sans air filter, becasue TBH it's not the most aesthetically pleasing engine bay, and the trumpets are its best feature IMO. I decided to make some. After experimenting with various methods, I ended up spinning them (much like the real things!) from Aluminium tube in my lathe. Basically it involved finding the right wall thickness of tube, spinning it at high rpm in a collet and pressing a hardened steel mandrel (in this case an old scrber tip) into the end. This tapers and flares the tube in one go:

vEU1eWKl.jpg

The results were quite pleasing. Not perfect, but better than the plastic ones and hey, I made them, so I'll use them!

UEnYRkGZ.jpg

Many of the detail parts I ordered (carbon decals, resin hose and wire connectors and clamps) from Grand Prix Models are on back order.

BTW today I picked up a Tamiya Sauber C9 with photo etch for £25 from a shop not 5 miles from my house. I didn't know the shop existed until last Friday. It's a tiny shop, but absolutely rammed with Tamiya gear. Just need the Rothmans Porsche 956/962 now!

Hi dr_gn,

Looks like you're off to a great start. Don't know if you're aware but if you're doing the LM car, Tamiya slipped up on the big intakes on the rear driver's side. Can't remember the exact details and pics not at hand but the number of intakes is wrong. Also, I think the winner had half the intake on the opposite side blanked off with a plate throughout the race. Another minor point is that for some reason the windscreen clips diffrered between the UK teams and the others.

I believe Tamiya were allowed access to the winning car but at a later date and by then it had done other races and been altered.

Actual race shots (plenty around) will show the differences.

Best of luck with your project.

Dave

Hi dr_gn,

Looks like you're off to a great start. Don't know if you're aware but if you're doing the LM car, Tamiya slipped up on the big intakes on the rear driver's side. Can't remember the exact details and pics not at hand but the number of intakes is wrong. Also, I think the winner had half the intake on the opposite side blanked off with a plate throughout the race. Another minor point is that for some reason the windscreen clips diffrered between the UK teams and the others.

I believe Tamiya were allowed access to the winning car but at a later date and by then it had done other races and been altered.

Actual race shots (plenty around) will show the differences.

Best of luck with your project.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. The Studio27 Etch set contains all the blanking plates and modded air intakes for the various configurations. Originally I wanted to model the Jaguar XJR-9, the Kouros Sauber C-9 and the Rothmans Porsche 962 as they appeared at the Silverstone 1000kms race in '87. Having tried and failed to find any decent engine bay pictures of the cars at this race (plus obtaining the correct decal variations) I've now decided to simply model each car as a 'generic' version. I'll try to do the best I can with external apearance.

Cheers!

Here are the trumpets test assembled to the plenum box. I might substitute a couple for the spares I made to make them all as similar as I can. Much better than the plastic originals even now:

JkfEND2V.jpg

Edited by dr_gn

I was lucky enough to be at Le Mans in 1988 when Jag won, it was a special moment. Got some great close up pics from Monza in '86 too. Although not an LM car, I'll try and get then scanned in and post them up.

That's a great start and a great kit of a great car!

I took Mrs Madmonk to the 1000km race at Brands Hatch in 87 as our first date, thought she should know what she was getting onto!!

No photos though as I miss loaded the camera and the film didn't take.

Watching with interest.

I was lucky enough to be at Le Mans in 1988 when Jag won, it was a special moment. Got some great close up pics from Monza in '86 too. Although not an LM car, I'll try and get then scanned in and post them up.

I'd appreciate that (although it would be an XJR-6 not a -9 in '86). I was at the Silverstone 1000kms that year when Jaguar won a sportscar race for the first time since 19-whenever it was - '55 probably.

Cheers.

That's a great start and a great kit of a great car!

I took Mrs Madmonk to the 1000km race at Brands Hatch in 87 as our first date, thought she should know what she was getting onto!!

No photos though as I miss loaded the camera and the film didn't take.

Watching with interest.

You obviously know how to show a lady a good time :winkgrin:

Here are the trumpets test assembled to the plenum box. I might substitute a couple for the spares I made to make them all as similar as I can. Much better than the plastic originals even now:

JkfEND2V.jpg

Nice engineering. Machined the original ones out of 6082 T6 myself many years ago.

Still got a spare sitting in my cabinet.

Edited by baldrick

Nice engineering. Machined the original ones out of 6082 T6 myself many years ago.

Still got a spare sitting in my cabinet.

Wow, impressive. Any chance of a photo?? I assumed they were spun.

Cheers!

We've been married now for almost 23 years so it didn't put her off!!

I took Mrs.Dr_gn to the Ferrari factory at Maranello for a day - on our honeymoon.

Amazingly she's still with me too.

Looking at the boxart again brings back memories. I got a catalogue from Wings & Wheels Models, of Bath (anyone remember them?), with this listed as a future release, and as I was off into London for the day made sure to stop at Beatties of Holborn first. What should I see displayed in the window, but the brand new Tamiya XJR-9LM! I bought one, of course, but I've yet to even make a start on mine, although I'll possibly have a go if/when the Le Mans GB gets the go-ahead. I've also got the S27 etch set, and the 'Silk Cut' decals to make it a proper replica.

Incidentally, there is a transkit in the works for the 1990 Le Mans-winning XJR-12LM. New resin body and various other parts, designed for the Tamiya kit, made by Renaissance; I saw it listed on Grand Prix Models' site the other day.

Looking at the boxart again brings back memories. I got a catalogue from Wings & Wheels Models, of Bath (anyone remember them?), with this listed as a future release, and as I was off into London for the day made sure to stop at Beatties of Holborn first. What should I see displayed in the window, but the brand new Tamiya XJR-9LM! I bought one, of course, but I've yet to even make a start on mine, although I'll possibly have a go if/when the Le Mans GB gets the go-ahead. I've also got the S27 etch set, and the 'Silk Cut' decals to make it a proper replica.

Incidentally, there is a transkit in the works for the 1990 Le Mans-winning XJR-12LM. New resin body and various other parts, designed for the Tamiya kit, made by Renaissance; I saw it listed on Grand Prix Models' site the other day.

It's not an easy kit to find at a reasonable price (at least for me!). A friend of mine found it (one only) at his local model shop for £19.99, and called me. I told him to buy it there and then.

Picked up the Sauber C9 on Saturday from a local shop I'd never seen before (again, one only) - included a photo etch set too, all for £17.99 !

Still looking for the Rothmans Porsche 956.

I know what you mean. I'd love another 2 Jags (one to convert to XJR-12, one to do a full-detail Daytona winning XJR-9 using Hasegawa decals) but I never seem to see them anywhere. Rothmans Porsches are even scarcer, it seems, although I managed to acquire an S27 decal sheet for the '82 cars, so only need one of the recent Tamiya re-issues, doesn't matter which markings. And when is somebody going to do a long-tail 962 in 1/24 injection plastic?

I know what you mean. I'd love another 2 Jags (one to convert to XJR-12, one to do a full-detail Daytona winning XJR-9 using Hasegawa decals) but I never seem to see them anywhere. Rothmans Porsches are even scarcer, it seems, although I managed to acquire an S27 decal sheet for the '82 cars, so only need one of the recent Tamiya re-issues, doesn't matter which markings. And when is somebody going to do a long-tail 962 in 1/24 injection plastic?

Be careful with the Tamiya 956/962's - some have engine detail, some don't. Their Taka-Q car for example is a one-piece body with no engine or suspension detail at all IIRC.

ETA, "From-A" not "Taka-Q" Porsches.

Edited by dr_gn

No idea. Knowing what the plumbing looked like would be a start...

I wasn't trying to be smart - just looking at the original plastic part and noticing the 2 tubes running along the space between the cylinder banks. I assumed these to be fuel rails that fed what looked like injectors on the inner sides of the stacks. I was just wondering if you were planning to drill into your beautiful turnings to replicate injectors. I hope no offence was taken - none meant. I'll take a look in my racing engines book to see if there is a picture of the Jag engine. If there is I'll pm you.

I wasn't trying to be smart - just looking at the original plastic part and noticing the 2 tubes running along the space between the cylinder banks. I assumed these to be fuel rails that fed what looked like injectors on the inner sides of the stacks. I was just wondering if you were planning to drill into your beautiful turnings to replicate injectors. I hope no offence was taken - none meant. I'll take a look in my racing engines book to see if there is a picture of the Jag engine. If there is I'll pm you.

Absolutely no offence taken! I didn't think that at all. If anything, I am guilty of emoticon neglect on forums!

From the few images I have it almost looks like the injectors were immediately above the throttle slides, as you say, fed from the two parallel tubes between the trumpets. I've requested a few pics of this area (and the rest of the engine bay) from Jaguar Heritage, and they said they'd take some pics for me next time the engine cover was off.

Cheers! And thanks for the PM.

Never tried photo etch on brakes before. Looks pretty good considering it's designed to fit to the profile of the caliper:

CgoZmooD.jpg

Also got the first batch of Scale Motorsport Carbon fibre decal:

bdCnoWFE.jpg

I see MicroSol by the bucketload in the near future.

Wow, impressive. Any chance of a photo?? I assumed they were spun.

Cheers!

They were machined from billet. This is so they all had the same dimensions which is very important to the fueling. If they had been spun no two would be the same as its a bit hit and miss.

I still make stuff for Ilmor and Lola and picked up a new customer last week, Mofaz Racing. World Series Team. They run 3L Renault engines and we modded the gearbox which made me a tad nervous as a new one cost £13500!

Will try to post a pic but havent got my head around posting photos, probably easier to post it to you!!