Tamiya Jaguar XJR-9LM (1:24)

They were machined from billet. This is so they all had the same dimensions which is very important to the fueling. If they had been spun no two would be the same as its a bit hit and miss.

I still make stuff for Ilmor and Lola and picked up a new customer last week, Mofaz Racing. World Series Team. They run 3L Renault engines and we modded the gearbox which made me a tad nervous as a new one cost £13500!

Will try to post a pic but havent got my head around posting photos, probably easier to post it to you!!

Interesting stuff - presumably they were cnc'd then?

It would be great to have a photo of the real thing.

This is coming along very nicely. Love the trumpets. :coolio:

I have a Hase XJR-8 in the stash, which actually came with the Silk Cut logos, surprisingly.

Yeah I've got their XJR-9 built up in about 1989 (I like to think I've improved since then though!).

Is yours the open rear wheeled version? There were a couple on EBay recently - went for quite a bit of cash. They are very nice models.

Nice engineering. Machined the original ones out of 6082 T6 myself many years ago.

Still got a spare sitting in my cabinet.

Looking at your location intrigues me. I worked for John Thompson in the late 80's and lived up the road in Higham and made many a component for the Silk Cut Jags, Porsche 962's plus other stuff. Who did you work for?

Regards

Darren

Edited by vandy1

Noooooooo, sorry. :D

I love the look of the open wheel Jag. I've got it stashed away until I feel confident enough that I can do her justice. :wub:

Same here - much nicer than the XJR-9 wheelbarrow!

More or less finished cleaning up the parts now. Quite a few bits need slicing off now, to be replaced with photo etch.

q2DqxFwc.jpg

I made a start on hollowing out the mounting tubes from the engine spaceframe too:

hqH9sEdx.jpg

Can't help thinking that the super detailled McLaren 4/4 project might be too much of a temptation when I get the base kit this weekend...Certainly less hassle since I've got 99% of the detail parts in one kit, unlike the Jag where I'm making most of the bits from scratch.

Made these today out of aluminium tube and some photo etch sheet. Not sure what they are, but they're mounted on the vertical parts of the inner wheelarches immediately in front of the rear tyres. They are fed by an air duct from a NACA duct on the sides of the car. Anyone know what they are? Maybe a tyre sensor of some kind?

rVdvJnXj.jpg

And scratchbuilt some tyre valves. They rarely seem to get included in models, so I made these out of micro brass tube and brass rod cyano'd together. Still need a bit of clean up before drilling a hole in the rims. They look a bit big here, but they are about right when set into the wheels:

OElHaQMr.jpg

Nice tyre valves - glad I'm not the only one daft enough to think you should be able to inflate 1/24th tyres...!! :D

K

I actually ordered a set from GPM, but their delivery times are glacial. I decided to make some for this half-baked attempt, and save the real ones for the Top Studio MP4/4 (I don't think they are included in the detail kit (then again it only cost A HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN CHUFFING QUID!).

(then again it only cost A HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN CHUFFING QUID!).

:gobsmacked: What scale?? I hope it's 1/12!!(I only paid just over £30 for the T.S. 1/20 Ferrari set about 5 years ago)

K

Edited by keefr22

No I hadn't!! :wacko:

Glad I sold all my F1 stuff off, means I can't possibly be tempted...!! :D

K

The older I get the more I buy things based on what I know I'll enjoy rather than on the price! TBH the contents of the set wouldn't cost much less than that if you bought them individually, and many parts would be extremely difficult to scratch build at that scale with any kind of fidelity*

*That's my justification - plus I'm just a bit daft.

Finished the wheels tonight. The wheel nuts are Tamiya with p/e faces stuck on. The safety springs are also p/e. The tyre valves are home made. The 'anodising' on the nuts is Citadel silver overcoated with Tamiya clear red/blue.

Disc faces and bell flanges are p/e. I decided to stick the rear disc faces on the inside since they are more visible here (with the engine cover removed) than through the rear wheels. TBH not much can be seen of the front discs either once the wheels are fitted, so I didn't really go to town on them.

6y56xIa1.jpg