HMS Corunna

MODeller

Hi Everyone, Somewhat deluded by my completion of the Liberty Ship, and inspired by the scratch efforts of Glenn R and Phil Reeder I have decided to rebuild the old Frog Battle Class Destroyer. I was fortunate to work on HMS Corunna back in 73-74 "aquiring" spares for our Admiralty 3 drum boilers at Farnborough, so Corunna it had to be!

Basically everything from the deck upwards is scratchbuilt/modified with some etched parts from White Ensign sets. Most of the superstructure was first made in cardboard before commiting to plasticard. As I have no plans to work from constant reference to the excellent new book Battle Class Destroyers by Patrick Boniface means that hopefully she will be reasonably accurate, but every vessel was slightly different!

Certainly got what remains of the old grey matter working overtime and with luck as soon as she is completed a major manufacturer will announce a forthcoming kit!

DSCF2619.jpg

DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2621.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg

This project is going to keep me VERY quiet for some time, yours MODeller

Edited by MODeller

Wow, another great ship build in progress, I'm impressed and leaning towards doing one myself....

What happening to me??????????????????

You're opening your mind to the other aspects of our hobby Perry... I know! I didn't think you had a mind either! :lol:

Good work on the scratch building btw ;)

What scale is this one?

Hugh

Hello Hugh, the scale works out at 1\327 roughly, so I am able to use parts from White Ensigns etched brass sets. The lattice mast and railings are from the 1\350 fret for British J,K,N class Destroyers. I am going to have to source/scratchbuild the secondary armament as Corunna was one of the later(1943) batch built as opposed to the kit offering which is of HMS Trafalgar. There are a lot of differences so this build will take a long time! MODeller

Well Done MODeller!Do You realise this Frog kit was the very first kit of a British Warship,way back in 1958.The price was 7/6d(37p),two weeks pocket money for me!I will be watching this with great interest,Good luck with the build, Phil

Thanks Phil, I hope to do her justice! 7/6d! those were strictly Xmas kits eg F-27, Sunderland. I hope to source the 40mm twin bofors from White Ensign but looks like the 4" gun will have to be scratched. Currently engaged in making new quintuple torpedo tubes! MODeller

Hi All, Here are a few shots of some of the scrathbuilt/modified parts that I have made. Nothing special just plastic rod/tube and card with pieces of etched added. Also using telephone wire which is excellent as it is fairly soft and can be bent/cut with ease.Hope these pics inspires others to give it a go, not difficult but time consuming. I am particularly proud of the bridge wind deflectors which are eched brass ladder strip with the railings cut off, then the steps bent up at 90 degrees, cut to length and thin plasticard glued on top! Yours MODeller

DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2624.jpg

DSCF2623.jpg

looking good, what scale is it?

Hi Perry the kit is around 1\327 scale, near enough to 1\350 for me! Some of the etch that I have used is from the White Ensign set for J.K.N British Destroyers. MODeller

I thought it looked bigger than 1.700 sort of scale.

Might be a :fool: question but, this etch for 1.350, can it be used on 1.400?

Hi Perry, Really depends on how "fussy" you are whether you would use 1\350 parts on a 1\400 model, personally it would not bother me. However there are 1\400 sets avaliable from L' Arsenal and Gold Medal (White Ensign) and Toms Modelworks also has 1\400 sets so the choice is yours. MODeller

Hi Everyone, Today I masked the decks and airbrushed the RN light grey. I am now in the process of "straightening" some of the paint joints and attaching/ filling the Bridge Deck. MODeller

DSCF2632.jpg

DSCF2631.jpg

DSCF2630.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

DSCF2628.jpg

Well Done MODeller!Do You realise this Frog kit was the very first kit of a British Warship,way back in 1958.The price was 7/6d(37p),two weeks pocket money for me!I will be watching this with great interest,Good luck with the build, Phil
phil, is this the same kit I have part started, novo 1/350 scale H.M.S. Trafalgar?

sorry phil, did not read further down the thread, it appears to be the same kit about 1/325

Hi All, Have made good progress over the weekend, lots of parts added and a 4" gun scratched. Beginning to look like a "Battle" now, but still a long way to go! MODeller

DSCF2632.jpg

DSCF2633.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2635.jpg

DSCF2636.jpg

A very impressive indeed.

This ship has beautiful, powerful lines doesn't she. A true Greyhound of the seas.

I can just imagine her barrelling through heavy seas, her bows awash as she thunders through the spray. A welcome sight if you were in need of help; but terrifying if you were watching her bare down on you through a periscope.

Lovely build MODeller.

Hello Everyone, Here are some photos of the last 4 days work, concentrating on the Quarterdeck and the twin Bofors mountings. Very much trial and error (mostly error!) but scratchbuilt items include Squid Mortar, Deck winch/capstan, paravanes and ventillators. Twin Bofors are scratched but using WEM sets cut apart/modified. Cannot praise WEM enough for their outstanding service and the quality of their items! MODeller

DSCF2643-1.jpg

DSCF2641-1.jpg

DSCF2637.jpg

PS Anyone spot the chainblock on the Ammo handling rail?