Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22

Paul A H

Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22

1:72 Airfix

spit22boxtop.jpg

When the prototype Spitfire took to the air for the first time on 5 March 1936, few involved in the design could have foreseen where the development of the type would lead. One of the ultimate incarnations was the F Mk.22. Although the relatively compact dimensions of the Spitfire were largely retained throughout its development (the wingspan of the Mk.22 was almost identical to the Mk.I, although it was 3 feet longer in the fuselage) the Mk.22 was a massive 60% heavier than the Mk.I. The sparkling performance of the type was retained though, thanks to the 2000hp+ Rolls Royce Griffon engine. With more than double the power of the Merlin engine fitted to the Mk.I, the Mk.22 was capable of a maximum speed of 454mph.

The Mk.22 had an enlarged tail and a laminar flow wing that was nearly 50% stiffer compared to early Spitfires. The comparatively light armament of the first generation of Spitfires was also upgraded a number times, culminating with the massive hitting power of four 20mm cannon. The Mk.22 flew for the first time in March 1945. 278 examples were built, although only one front-line squadron (73 Sqn) was equipped with the type, the rest going to RAuxAF units.

Having watched Airfix spoil those who model in 1:48 scale with a new Spitfire Mk.XII and Seafire F XVII in recent years, it’s nice to see a brand new Griffon powered Spitfire in 1:72 scale at last. The new kit on the block is comprised of 49 parts spread across three sprues of grey plastic and one of clear plastic, all packed into a surprisingly compact top-opening box.

No review is complete without an assessment of the engraved surface detail, particularly when the subject is a new Airfix kit. Happily, first impressions are pretty favourable. The panel lines are genuinely finer than anything else Airfix have produced in the last few years – so much so that I personally wouldn’t want them to get any finer than this! The panel lines are complemented by engraved fastener details around the removable panels on the wings and forward fuselage. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that a couple of the panel lines fade to almost nothing around the extremities of the fuselage, particularly around the underside of the nose. A little re-scribing will therefore be required in order to maintain consistent surface detail. That aside, the overall shape of the model looks good. Airfix have used slide moulding to recreate the shape of the distinctive rocker cover bulges found on Griffon powered Spitfires. Although this means there is an extra seam to clean up in front of the cockpit, the overall effect is worth the extra work. There is a small amount of flash present here and there. Some kits seem to have suffered from some mould problems on the sprue that holds the wing parts, but although the sprue in our review sample looks a bit rough in places, the parts actually look ok in this regard.

spit22sprue1.jpg

spit22sprue2.jpg

spit22spruecloseup1.jpg

The cockpit is pretty good for the scale. It is comprised of front and rear framework inserts, one of which holds the instrument panel, a gun sight, control column, seat, armour plate and the tubular floor/rudder pedal assembly. There is also some nice moulded sidewall detail on the insides of the fuselage halves. A decal is provided for the instrument panel in lieu of any moulded detail. There are a couple of ejector pin marks that will have to be tidied up, including an awkward one right in the middle of the seat pan, but the overall effect should be very convincing. This is handy, as the cockpit can be posed in the open position if desired.

The five-bladed airscrew is moulded in one piece, and the blades are thin and sharp. There is a small notch in one side too, which should make it impossible to install it the wrong way round. The rudder is provided as a separate part, but the elevators are moulded in place. The lower wing is moulded in a single span, with a clear insert for the three signalling lights. The landing gear legs are moulded separately to the doors, which is a nice improvement compared to Airfix’s simpler kits such as the Mk.IX Spitfire. Alternative main and tail gear doors are provided in case you want to build your model with the wheels up. As mentioned above, the canopy is moulded in two parts, which means it can be posed in the open position. A choice of two rear canopy parts is provided. One is designed to be fixed in the closed position, the other in the open position. I really like this approach as it represents a good compromise between accuracy and ‘buildability’ – well done Airfix!

spit22sprue3.jpg

spit22spruecloseup2.jpg

spit22sprue4.jpg

A choice of two schemes is provided on the decal sheet:

• PK433 of No. 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, RAF Turnhouse, Edinburgh, 1951. This is the aircraft depicted on the box artwork, and is finished in High Speed Silver; and
  • PK553 of No. 607 (County of Durham) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, RAF Ouston, 1948. This is the aircraft that took place in the 1948 Cooper Air Trophy Race and it is finished in Dark Green and Ocean Grey camouflage over Medium Sea Grey undersides.

spit22decals.jpg

Conclusion

If, like me, you’ve been looking forward to the release of this kit, you shouldn’t be disappointed. Airfix have delivered a nice kit that manages to deliver on the detail front without being too complex to build. There are a few minor niggles here and there, such as the fading panel lines around the nose and some awkward ejector pin marks, but overall this is a great little kit. I can’t wait to get stuck into this one, so look out for a review build soon.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great review Paul. The moulding quality certainly looks better than mine which I bought about a month ago (which had pretty nasty flaws on the pilot's seat-back armour and below the trailing edge of the wing root, so perhaps Airfix have pulled their finger out and cleaned the mould after the first production run.

Just building the cockpit structure, and I agree that it it's a generally nice kit.

• 7 months later...

how much power did the mk22 have? 2000hp+ is more than a bit vague

According to the ever reliable ;) Wikipedia,

• Griffon 61 Introduced a two-speed two-stage supercharger with aftercooler similar to that on Merlin 61; 2,035 hp (1,520 kW) at 7,000 ft (2,100 m) and 1,820 hp (1,360 kW) at 21,000 ft (6,400 m); used on Spitfire Mk XIV, Mk 21.
The Spitfire 22 used the same Griffon 61 as the Spitfire 21. Steve

how much power did the mk22 have? 2000hp+ is more than a bit vague

2,035 hp (1,520 kW) at 7,000 ft (2,100 m) and 1,820 hp (1,360 kW) at 21,000 ft (6,400 m)

So 2000hp+ would be about right depending on altitiude and ambient air temperature/pressure.

Interestingly the Airfix Mk22 has constant power regardless of altitude :D

Edited by JonP
  • Like 1

Interstingly the Airfix Mk22 has constant power regardless of altitude :D

Is that altitude ranging from 3' on the table to 6' flying round my head with accompanying merlin noises? :pilot:

• Like 1