Revell Routemaster RM conversion

richellis

Hi,

First out of the blocks is my RM conversion of the Revell kit. The real RM is 2"6' shorter than an RM, this is the small section in the middle of the bus (square windows) you need to chop out this section, about 27mm and how I did the cuts isnt straight! I followed the panel lines!

hase_737%20011.JPG

This is the first side done, and it needs filling and sanding.

I then moved on to the chassis, again 27mm needs removing and over the 3 parts (Interior floor, chassis, and front subframe) I staggered the cuts for strength,

hase_737%20012.JPG

hase_737%20013.JPG

You can see how I staggered the cuts in the pics. I also shortened the prop shaft and exhaust pipe as these need adding before the subframe part!

Does any one know if I can fit the engine at the end of the build?

Hi,

First out of the blocks is my RM conversion of the Revell kit. The real RM is 2"6' shorter than an RM, this is the small section in the middle of the bus (square windows) you need to chop out this section, about 27mm and how I did the cuts isnt straight! I followed the panel lines!

hase_737%20011.JPG

This is the first side done, and it needs filling and sanding.

I then moved on to the chassis, again 27mm needs removing and over the 3 parts (Interior floor, chassis, and front subframe) I staggered the cuts for strength,

hase_737%20012.JPG

hase_737%20013.JPG

You can see how I staggered the cuts in the pics. I also shortened the prop shaft and exhaust pipe as these need adding before the subframe part!

Does any one know if I can fit the engine at the end of the build?

Rich,

be careful how you cut the other side, so the fuel filler ends up in the right place!

Selwyn

It will be done in this livery, as I lived for a short time in New Addington as a kid, my grand parents lived there and my Mom was born and grew up in the area so its a personal build, and the livery is a bit differant from the gold lettered LT liveries. Unsure about ads yet for the bus! Would like a car or airline ads. Google will be my friend here!

I'm going to have to get me one of these and do it up in this sceme - in fact this bus as its likely I would have travelled on this as I did the 480 route twice a day for 5 years in the 70s :)

Its also nice and grungy and I bet that photo could be used to create the adverts...

Edit: Hmm, just realised that is an RML, so no conversion would be required!!!

Edited by Kallisti

You just need to dive in and do it! I am lucky that a few years ago I was involved in the restoration of a Routemaster, so have a fair knowlage of the RM.

Just get the saw out. Its only money!

:lol: :lol: I must admit I am having thoughts about getting a second one and trying something different with it, I'll have to do some research.

AT LAST!!!!

Someone actually BUILDING this kit instead of just talking about it, and the 1/4 million variants of the real bus!

I'm watching this with real interest.

Roy

I will be very soon too ;)

Any pics Rich??

OK, picture update, done alot, the chassis is done painted, the sides are cut and joined and the top deck is done. I have painted the dark red on the inside, and Ill mask and paint the Brown floors. When that is done Ill do the stair treads in Grey and add some details. I need to sort some period ads for the inside, any ideas....

Revell%20RM%20001.JPG

Revell%20RM%20002.JPG

Revell%20RM%20003.JPG

Revell%20RM%20004.JPG

I have found sme pics on the net of some ads and notices that could be found inside LT buses from the late 70s so Ive printed them out at 1:24 and Ill have a go at sticking them in tonight!

Any chance of a link to them?

Thanks Mac

I have found sme pics on the net of some ads and notices that could be found inside LT buses from the late 70s so Ive printed them out at 1:24 and Ill have a go at sticking them in tonight!

Hello, everybody! As you see, I'm new here so forgive any glitches! Impressed with your conversion (and bravery!). The kit is a bit of a curate's egg isn't it? What can be done with the front suspension/steering? I've superdetailed the AEC engine (made & plumbed injectors etc) so I don't want to cover it all up but the front end will be very visible, even with the steering straight ahead. Still, we should be grateful to Revell for giving us the kit in the first place! Anyone else spotted that the decal printers can't add up? Look at the "passenger capacity" block!

I personally wouldnt worry about the missing suspension detail, unless you want a bare chassis, most of it will be hidden by the body, as per the real bus. I know what you mean about the front sub-frame through the grill, when its silver it is very visable on the real RM, but as the grill is solid, Im not bothered either. The only alternative is to cut the plastic out and add some mesh. I will if some PE mesh comes along.

I am going to get some shots from under a Routemaster soon.

I am just waiting for some resin coach parts, or for Revell to do a RMC kit.......

Now get some piccys of your build up....