• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Been back on this now for a month or so, am actually building 2 at the same time (one for me, one for a friend). I've started a new thread, as this is the actual build, the conversion having been largely done. Conversion link The pit is almost completely scratchbuilt, just the stick and the seat which was adapted from a Paragon example with the moulded on straps removed, plus a heavily modified Hasegawa throttle guadrant.
Pit done, just have to join the fuselage halves. I wanted to keep the build fairly clean, but added a little light shading with washes then toned it down with a very light overspray of the base colour, after which I painted the various details.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nytol.

Edited by turnerdad, 06 November 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#2 UziYerDaddy

UziYerDaddy

WNW Bitch

• Product Reviewer
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

FANTASTIC!!!! That pit looks amazing, especially with that new IP!

#3 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

Are you kidding me? This is awesome! Your cockpit detail painting is sensational. Very much looking forward to more.

Kev

#4 Bobs_Buckles

Bobs_Buckles

Cúran ar Elemmíre

• Members
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

Dad,
Looks sweet so far.
Crack on!

Bob

#5 desmojen

desmojen

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

I like the drillings in the joint faces, good idea. Beautiful cockpit work and very nicely painted too :)

Did you ever get any further with the Griffon Mustang you were going to do a few of?

Jen.

#6 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

I like the drillings in the joint faces, good idea. Beautiful cockpit work and very nicely painted too :)

Did you ever get any further with the Griffon Mustang you were going to do a few of?

Jen.

Hi Jen, this is the very same Mustang. Hoping to join it all together today. Takes ages to set up for bonding, using a very slow setting 2 part epoxy.

#7 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,030,256 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Looks great... I'd love to know how you manage to get that "illustrator" look to the detail painting. You must have the steadiest hand, as well as some rather nifty techniques :)

#8 Nick Belbin

Nick Belbin

Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 951 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Very beautiful and fantastic work!!

May I ask what release agent you use, for example, where you altered the entry point of the blades into the spinner (you've used a wooden former seated in the spinner and then built up around it with filler – what stops the filler sticking to the former?)

#9 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

May I ask what release agent you use, for example, where you altered the entry point of the blades into the spinner (you've used a wooden former seated in the spinner and then built up around it with filler – what stops the filler sticking to the former?)

Hey Nick, I use mostly "Alchemie R5", an aerosol based release agent, spray lightly, allow to dry for a few secs, then polish up gently with a cloth (though you don't need to polish pins, tabs etc)
Available from Alchemie ltd, Warwick Road, Kineton, Warwick, CV35 0HU. Tel: 01926 641600

Cheers
Nick

#10 Nick Belbin

Nick Belbin

Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 951 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hey Nick, I use mostly "Alchemie R5", an aerosol based release agent, spray lightly, allow to dry for a few secs, then polish up gently with a cloth (though you don't need to polish pins, tabs etc)
Available from Alchemie ltd, Warwick Road, Kineton, Warwick, CV35 0HU. Tel: 01926 641600

Cheers
Nick

Thank you!

#11 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

Some pics from a few weeks back...a few clamps needed to join the fuselage halves... :suicide:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Have bedded the front canopy for a perfect fit.
Posted Image
I wanted to add lots of detail to the wheel wells, so added the Aires set. I had to remove the front and rebuild it as it was designed for the Dragon kit (I think) and didn't fit at all. Eventually whacked it into submission.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

'ere is where I is at now, word up innit an all dat....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Will explain stuff later, am pooped right now :clif:

Edited by turnerdad, 08 September 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#13 desmojen

desmojen

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

I'm virtually drooling, that is so tasty! :analintruder:

Did you get those copies cast up that you were on about doing? I'll still have one if you did :pray:

Jen.

#14 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

I'm virtually drooling, that is so tasty! :analintruder:

Did you get those copies cast up that you were on about doing? I'll still have one if you did :pray:

Jen.

I wanted too but the guy at work who does our casting is beyond dragging his heels and I've given up chasing him. Someone will be releasing it as a limited kit next year though so you can get one then if you want.

#15 mikeew

mikeew

He likes DNB's y'know!!

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Ahhhh man this is gonna be good!!!!!

Cracking work so far....

#16 Jim Kiker

Jim Kiker

Established Member

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hi TD,

I am happy to agree with the other posters; great work there. I have the bits to start on one of these in 1/48 scale, and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with. To date I have been unable to find any references on the RB-51's cockpit. Could you give me a "point" to what you have used? Second, on my computer monitor, your interior looks a lot like British RAF interior grey green; I am not at all sure that is really the case with your cockpit. Could you confirm the base interior colour?

TIA, Jim

#17 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

Quick update, model is now ready for painting, will spray the white tomorrow.
Anyway, a quick fit together ages ago as I remade the canopy. I wasn't happy with the shape, now much better. I will also be fixing the main gear doors shut as the aircraft was often parked like that, especially when on show, and plus it helps to maintain the sleek lines of the plane.
Posted Image
I wanted to add the raised wing/tailplane roots areas, and there also seems to be a strengthening plate (or something) running up to the rear of the engine bulkhead, as everything infront was new. I had some vinyl masks cut and applied them to the relevant areas, before spraying 12 or so light coats of Halfords white primer. When removed it left a very nice raised area that needed a light rub down to smooth out.
Posted Image
I then added all the fastener detail, drilled out very shallow with a .71mm drill bit. The Baron was covered in very prominent silver fasteners that stood out against the red fuselage, and I'm having a load of .5mm photoetched steel discs made (should get them next week from PPD Photoetchers in Lochgilphead, Scotland-they are very good). Hopefully, if all goes well I'll add them after all the gloss coats, washes etc. A risk but I've been practising on some test pieces and the results were lovely, albeit with punch and die plastic discs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
All the other bits are ready for whiting, good weather forecast tomorrow and plenty of time to work, can't wait. Cheers all.

#18 Ant

Ant

Slave to the sanding stick

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Wonderful - I love watching your builds.

#19 turnerdad

turnerdad

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hi TD,

I am happy to agree with the other posters; great work there. I have the bits to start on one of these in 1/48 scale, and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with. To date I have been unable to find any references on the RB-51's cockpit. Could you give me a "point" to what you have used? Second, on my computer monitor, your interior looks a lot like British RAF interior grey green; I am not at all sure that is really the case with your cockpit. Could you confirm the base interior colour?

TIA, Jim

Sorry Jim, just noticed this. You may be better off PMing me as it can take be a while between visits. For cockpit shots I got most of the shots from Warbirdaeropress but I seem to be having problems getting back in. I'd be happy to send my references when I've finished with them, but references are hard to come by and I have used some artistic licence in areas.
The colour sems to be a light grey with a definite purple hue. I mixed up a pot ages ago using all sorts of citadels colours. Again I've got a fair amount left if you need some, maybe not enough to spray but you could use it to mix something close. PM me.
Cheers

Edited by turnerdad, 03 October 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#20 Seamus

Seamus

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

:ditto:

It's looking epic chap, top drawer stuff as ever :clap2:

Will you be bringing her to Telford if she's finished in time?