1/32 Red Baron racing Mustang

turnerdad

Been back on this now for a month or so, am actually building 2 at the same time (one for me, one for a friend). I've started a new thread, as this is the actual build, the conversion having been largely done. Conversion link The pit is almost completely scratchbuilt, just the stick and the seat which was adapted from a Paragon example with the moulded on straps removed, plus a heavily modified Hasegawa throttle guadrant.

Pit done, just have to join the fuselage halves. I wanted to keep the build fairly clean, but added a little light shading with washes then toned it down with a very light overspray of the base colour, after which I painted the various details.

redbaron20001.jpg

redbaron2edited0002.jpg

redbaron2edited0001.jpg

redbaron20005.jpg

redbaron2edited0003.jpg

redbaron2edited0004.jpg

redbaron2edited20001.jpg

Nytol.

Edited by turnerdad
  • Like 1

I like the drillings in the joint faces, good idea. Beautiful cockpit work and very nicely painted too :)

Did you ever get any further with the Griffon Mustang you were going to do a few of?

Jen.

Hi Jen, this is the very same Mustang. Hoping to join it all together today. Takes ages to set up for bonding, using a very slow setting 2 part epoxy.

Looks great... I'd love to know how you manage to get that "illustrator" look to the detail painting. You must have the steadiest hand, as well as some rather nifty techniques :)

Very beautiful and fantastic work!!

May I ask what release agent you use, for example, where you altered the entry point of the blades into the spinner (you've used a wooden former seated in the spinner and then built up around it with filler – what stops the filler sticking to the former?)

May I ask what release agent you use, for example, where you altered the entry point of the blades into the spinner (you've used a wooden former seated in the spinner and then built up around it with filler – what stops the filler sticking to the former?)

Hey Nick, I use mostly "Alchemie R5", an aerosol based release agent, spray lightly, allow to dry for a few secs, then polish up gently with a cloth (though you don't need to polish pins, tabs etc)

Available from Alchemie ltd, Warwick Road, Kineton, Warwick, CV35 0HU. Tel: 01926 641600

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick, I use mostly "Alchemie R5", an aerosol based release agent, spray lightly, allow to dry for a few secs, then polish up gently with a cloth (though you don't need to polish pins, tabs etc)

Available from Alchemie ltd, Warwick Road, Kineton, Warwick, CV35 0HU. Tel: 01926 641600

Cheers

Nick

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...

Some pics from a few weeks back...a few clamps needed to join the fuselage halves... :suicide:

redbaronjoined0001.jpg

redbaronjoined0001_1.jpg

Have bedded the front canopy for a perfect fit.

redbaronjoined0003.jpg

I wanted to add lots of detail to the wheel wells, so added the Aires set. I had to remove the front and rebuild it as it was designed for the Dragon kit (I think) and didn't fit at all. Eventually whacked it into submission.

redbaronjoined0004.jpg

redbaronjoined0002.jpg

I'm virtually drooling, that is so tasty! :analintruder:

Did you get those copies cast up that you were on about doing? I'll still have one if you did :pray:

Jen.

I wanted too but the guy at work who does our casting is beyond dragging his heels and I've given up chasing him. Someone will be releasing it as a limited kit next year though so you can get one then if you want.

Hi TD,

I am happy to agree with the other posters; great work there. I have the bits to start on one of these in 1/48 scale, and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with. To date I have been unable to find any references on the RB-51's cockpit. Could you give me a "point" to what you have used? Second, on my computer monitor, your interior looks a lot like British RAF interior grey green; I am not at all sure that is really the case with your cockpit. Could you confirm the base interior color?

TIA, Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, model is now ready for painting, will spray the white tomorrow.

Anyway, a quick fit together ages ago as I remade the canopy. I wasn't happy with the shape, now much better. I will also be fixing the main gear doors shut as the aircraft was often parked like that, especially when on show, and plus it helps to maintain the sleek lines of the plane.

RedBaronreadyforpaint0006.jpg

I wanted to add the raised wing/tailplane roots areas, and there also seems to be a strengthening plate (or something) running up to the rear of the engine bulkhead, as everything infront was new. I had some vinyl masks cut and applied them to the relevant areas, before spraying 12 or so light coats of Halfords white primer. When removed it left a very nice raised area that needed a light rub down to smooth out.

RedBaronreadyforpaint0004.jpg

I then added all the fastener detail, drilled out very shallow with a .71mm drill bit. The Baron was covered in very prominent silver fasteners that stood out against the red fuselage, and I'm having a load of .5mm photoetched steel discs made (should get them next week from PPD Photoetchers in Lochgilphead, Scotland-they are very good). Hopefully, if all goes well I'll add them after all the gloss coats, washes etc. A risk but I've been practising on some test pieces and the results were lovely, albeit with punch and die plastic discs.

RedBaronreadyforpaint0001.jpg

RedBaronreadyforpaint0002.jpg

All the other bits are ready for whiting, good weather forecast tomorrow and plenty of time to work, can't wait. Cheers all.

Hi TD,

I am happy to agree with the other posters; great work there. I have the bits to start on one of these in 1/48 scale, and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with. To date I have been unable to find any references on the RB-51's cockpit. Could you give me a "point" to what you have used? Second, on my computer monitor, your interior looks a lot like British RAF interior grey green; I am not at all sure that is really the case with your cockpit. Could you confirm the base interior color?

TIA, Jim

Sorry Jim, just noticed this. You may be better off PMing me as it can take be a while between visits. For cockpit shots I got most of the shots from Warbirdaeropress but I seem to be having problems getting back in. I'd be happy to send my references when I've finished with them, but references are hard to come by and I have used some artistic licence in areas.

The colour sems to be a light grey with a definite purple hue. I mixed up a pot ages ago using all sorts of citadels colours. Again I've got a fair amount left if you need some, maybe not enough to spray but you could use it to mix something close. PM me.

Cheers

Edited by turnerdad

:ditto:

It's looking epic chap, top drawer stuff as ever :clap2:

Will you be bringing her to Telford if she's finished in time?

:ditto:

Will you be bringing her to Telford if she's finished in time?

Thanks Sean. Yes, my plan is to have her ready for Telford, albeit a year late! One advantage of a nice clean gloss finish is painting should be fairly straightforward, no extensive weathering processes.

Just came across this thread, I was hoping you'd get back to this one Nick! Have to say that she looks absolutely outstanding! And that IP - just amazing!!

Looking forward to seeing more progress, & hopefully the finished item at Telford!!

Keef

Hey Nick,

She's a beauty!! Two questions for you. First, you mentioned you made a new canopy. It's amazinly clear. How did you make it? Second, could you give a quick lesson on your process on painting the cockpit? So very curious what your steps are to get the shadows and highlighted edges on the surfaces.

Thanks,

Shane Pulliam

Shane, regarding the canopy, I vacformed the clear part from .5mm clear perspex. It is a fantastic material for transparencies, strong, easy to work, not too brittle and polishes easily as it's so hard. Quite expensive though, luckily we had some off-cuts at work. I modified my original plug, reprofiling it to a sleeker shape as per my plans. I cut out the offending area of my original resin cast canopy and grafted the perspex piece on, obviously the front part is new perspex too.

The pit I sprayed my grey, no pre-shading, then a couple of satin coats of Xtracrylics matt varnish (sightly glossed up with a few drops of their gloss). A couple of highly thinned black oil washes, which after drying for a couple of days I then oversprayed lightly with highly thinned base colour grey which toned everything down nicely-I wanted a reasonably clean look, shadows yes, but not loads of grime as I normally do with my models. Then I detailed with various colours, trying the so-called "Spanish method" lastly, painting carefully around the edges with almost pure white. All a bit experimental, but I like the results, pretty much what I wanted to achieve. Honest! HTH.