This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

clive_t

1:35 Grant Tank Crew - MiniArt / Preiser Mashup

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, my first Figure WIP thread - probably my last, given the amazing stuff being shown on this forum already.

This is meant to be a companion thread to my current 'Armour WIP' (here) and ultimately will (hopefully) join with the tank itself into a diorama - thread yet to be started!

The basic raw materials for the figures will be the 'MiniArt' British Tank Crew set (supplied with the Academy Grant 'El Alamein' kit). In addition, I hope to incorporate relevant parts from the Preiser 'Adam' set. Technically these are slightly over-scale at 1:32, but it shouldn't be too obvious - I hope!

No actual progress thus far, apart from I have spray-primed the MiniArt sprue with basic grey acrylic rattle-can primer:

34149629670_fcef6345d5_b.jpg

Today I received through the post the Preiser 'Adam' set:

34149627170_e64f1bf326_b.jpg

As you can see, it's called the 'Adam' set for a reason!

Hopefully I shall be able to report some progress soon, if I can work out the nitty gritty of how I am going to pose them!

Thanks for watching :)

2 people like this

Good luck with this ! 

BillyD

1 person likes this

Thanks Billy D, I think I am going to need it :yes:

1 person likes this

OK so this afternoon, the opening shots were fired in my battle with the tank crew. I picked a pair of legs and a torso:

33770903364_6696af3907_b.jpg

In my mind's eye I saw a trooper sat on a small box, leaning against the side of the tank, maybe writing a few lines to his family. To do that, the legs needed to be 'persuaded' to adopt a slightly different pose. Don't worry, trooper, this won't hurt... me ...:devil: :

34613913435_48f93dec13_b.jpg

The leg was cut at the knee and the ankle - which to be fair will probably hurt in the morning. Some of the plastic was pared away to allow the leg to be slightly more bent, past 90-degrees. Some crafting wire was then used to form a bendable joint so as to allow fine-positioning of the leg. Foolishly, the holes I drilled for the wire were slightly too big, however to see how the bits fit together I used some 'Blu-Tak'.  Not too shabby:

34613912175_2fcac181bd_b.jpg

It was at this point I had a change of heart, and decided that rather than sitting, the figure would be crouching down on one knee, attending to something, e.g. a 'Benghazi burner' - obviously a brew-up is therefore on the cards. Slightly less hacking around of the body, which will no doubt come as some relief to the client:

34483427541_910228d32c_b.jpg

So this is how the two legs looked, before being joined together:

34483425711_c98a8a6f5f_b.jpg

Finally for now, I mixed a small lump of Milliput, and filled the gaps between the plastic bits to secure the pose and hide the wire joints:

34613901765_e2f80610d0_b.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

Some more progress today. I added the torso, and sorted out the upper limbs from the MiniArt set that best fit the intended pose. Neither of them had hands fitted, so I had a look at the Preiser set to see what my options were. For the right arm, I envisage this resting on the extended right leg, with the hand just hanging down:

34503035541_71d42cf387_b.jpg

It looks a little over-sized to be honest, but I pursued the idea to see how it would look with the other arm, including another Preiser hand:

34503026801_e9a47516fe_b.jpg

Whereas the right arm was a good fit, and therefore not needing to be pinned, the left arm needed to be cut and shaped to angle it more to the mid-line of the body. So more drilling and pinning:

33823528213_a0cea6c20a_b.jpg

A bit of Milliput to fill the gaps, as well as the head - another Prieser part:

34633571125_bf39e7ceb5_b.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the white plastic of the head on the grey body, but the head definitely looked over-sized. So, I sprayed the whole thing with more primer:

33794817494_b9a6fa9530_b.jpg

34596698316_4946a7154c_b.jpg

The head looks a little more in proportion, but the right hand still bothers me. I think I will try and elongate the sleeve to maybe disguise it somewhat.

Thanks for watching, comments welcome! :)

2 people like this

Fascinating stuff!

:popcorn:

1 person likes this

On 16/05/2017 at 10:21 PM, Murdo said:

Fascinating stuff!

:popcorn:

Thanks Murdo, much appreciated.

Some more progress today. The addition of a side-arm from the MiniArt set, and a tank-man's beret made from Grey Stuff:

34756490555_67a77f9e2a_b.jpg

I then re-sprayed it in preparation for painting, however as an afterthought I felt the man needed a decent moustache. This was made from a tiny amount of Milliput:

34756988295_c3021984c5_b.jpg

Thanks for watching :yes:

2 people like this