Hawker Hurricane MkIV in Argentina AF use

RAGATIGER

Hi Fellows ARC

I was just checking the Evilbay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-AZ-HAWKER-HUR...=item5d2c3cdf48

an AZ Model Hurricane MkIV that include the decals for a Hurricane in Argentina AF decals in 1/72 scale a complete surprize to me

Best modeling

Armando

Shamelessly cribbed from Google...

Only one example of Hurricane Mk.IV, serial KW908, arrived in 1947 as a present from the British Government to the Argentines. The airplane was packed in 27 boxes and arrived to Buenos Aires on August '47 aboard the ship SS Durango. On July 7 of that year the aircraft was on public display in an exhibition mounted in one of the main squares of Buenos Aires, with other airplanes like a Lancaster and Fiat G55. In autumn of that year was sent to a flight school of the Argentinian Air Force located in Cordoba, where was painted the national insignia and repainted their camouflage colours; it is known that remained there until the early '60s.

An interesting subject me-thinks!

GJ

An Argentine Hurricane!? That's a new one on me. What's next, a Soviet Hurricane - oh yeah, right, the Soviets used hundreds. Still, the Hurricane got around, didn't it. Did any appear in American markings (like during Operation Torch, for example)?

Regards,

Jason

An Argentine Hurricane!? That's a new one on me. What's next, a Soviet Hurricane - oh yeah, right, the Soviets used hundreds. Still, the Hurricane got around, didn't it. Did any appear in American markings (like during Operation Torch, for example)?

Regards,

Jason

I know some Sea Hurricanes used American markings in Torch.

One photo of a Hurricane with a sharkmouth with BP654 on the tail showed up on E-Bay and Steven Modeldad Eisenman produced another photo of the same aircraft with fuselage stars and bars.

Look for Hyperscale Jan. 11. 2011. But both photos have been deleted. Unit identified as 346th FS, 350th FG. The original poster was Richard Connell. It was a two seat hack and Steve was of the opinion that it was repainted in OD/NG.

Best wishes,

Grant

An Argentine Hurricane!? That's a new one on me. What's next, a Soviet Hurricane - oh yeah, right, the Soviets used hundreds.

nearly 3000 were sent to the VVS!

Still, the Hurricane got around, didn't it. Did any appear in American markings (like during Operation Torch, for example)?

Regards,

Jason

ooh, crikey Jason....

Yes. Unit hacks in Italy for the 350th Fighter group... with a shark mouth....I see gmat has been faster, but I have pics hahahahaha

see here http://homepage.mac.com/vizcarraguitars/Hu...es/large-8.html

picture-8.jpg

two seater conversions too....

picture-9.jpg

looks to be done in black and white as well!

picture-2.jpg

I think this one retains RAF markings.

There is a pic of the Argentine Hurricane in one of the Polish monographs IIRC....

Thank you gentlemen for the responses! Troy, I knew you'd know about the Soviet Hurricanes (I thought it was about 2,000 - 3,000's quite a few). I've got to do one someday, either "White 60" with the wolf on the tail, or one with the Soviet armament of UBS and ShVAK guns, and RS-82 rockets. Or maybe that artillery-spotter/courier version with the rear gunner. That USAAF black and white two-seater looks like a good off-beat subject, but I wonder what happened to the tail (looks like a shark took a bite out of it!).

Best Regards,

Jason

Re the argentine Hurricane, I found this link with a couple of pics from the polish monograph:

http://kalkin.foros.ws/t11995/hawker-hurricane-argentino/

It came with a Spitfire too, but sadly, neither survived :(

The roundels and flag on the upper surfaces were hurriedly painted for an exhibition. It seems they didn't have time to paint the lower wing roundels! The AZ kit shows the markings correctly.

HTH,

Jorge.

Sory, sorry, sorry, sorry,

An argentinian Hurricane is right.

Found all information in "Aeroplane Icons Hurricane"

ISBN 978-1-907426-19-3 Kelsey Publishing 2011

I can recommend this paperback brochure (130 pages).

modelldoc