Jump to content

If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,159 Excellent

About Bigdave22014

  • Rank
    I suffer from ADOS. Attention Deficit Ooh shiny!
  • Birthday 21/04/1974

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

931 profile views
  1. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Ah. Praise from the exalted one! Thanks Codger, and yes there will be a smidgen of dirt in the right places.
  2. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    I've gone as far as I can on the boiler for now, as any further pipework needs to match up with the cab fittings. So I've decided to build.....the cab! Two large pieces of etch have been fixed to the interior front and cab floor, moulded pipework has been scraped off the firebox and various bits added. Still need to add pipework and valves etc. But what about the chassis I hear you ask? Well, it got a coat of red paint and some bits picked out in black. There is something striking about the red and black combination.
  3. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    It does indeed.
  4. Pocher 1/4 ducati panigale

    That's some beautiful etch
  5. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Little update from the last posting - I've redone the generator(?) next to the chimney, and added some of the pipework. I've also fitted the smokebox door.
  6. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    I've finished the two smaller feed domes, and added the chimney. Certainly starting to look like a busy boiler. All those fittings (and the ones I haven't done yet exemplify the difference between British and European loco design. In the UK we hid everything we could to provide a cleaner look to our loco's. Nicer yes, but increased difficulty for maintenance crews.
  7. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Thanks Biggu.
  8. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Now started on the boiler and firebox. The boiler halves were joined together and the joins sanded smooth, then the firebox was joined, smoothed and added to the boiler. Various boiler fittings have been made and fitted. Note there is an error in the Eduard instructions - they tell you to add handholds to the first dome, but there aren't any on that dome. Now we hit some of those oh so famous inaccuracies... The dark grey bits are resin replacements from the ET Models set. And there are two smaller domes that are actually too small. A 1mm thick disc of plasticard has been added and will be filed to shape before the dome top is added. And that's yesterday caught up with.
  9. Navy-ating Bucc's fizzzing along

    Not in the UK unfortunately (well, bad for us modellers, good for the fishes)
  10. Cats, they're taking over. Part 3

    Fashion critic!
  11. Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

    Ah, nice to see you back on this. All that time on those flying things was just practice for the etches you needed to do eh? It all makes sense now!
  12. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Made the second set of steps, added the brackets and rivets, and managed to fix everything together before spraying with red oxide primer. Hmm, bit of extra primer needed on those steps. Tomorrow will see a lovely coat of gloss red. I used cotton buds to plug the axle holes to prevent paint ingress.
  13. May I add the baffling "larboard" to the mix?
  14. BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

    Remember that statement? Yeah, didn't last.... I decided that this step and footplate assembly would be better soldered. I've got all the brackets and rivets to add yet, and then repeat for the other side. Still, I didn't actually burn my fingers and it's very robust.
  15. Blackening Fluids and Brass Parts - Advice

    I've never used those products so not sure about your problems. I have in the past used Carr's products and Gun Blue successfully. The best tip I can give you is to make sure they are thoroughly clean and grease free. Carr's produce an Acid dip for this. Never used it on Aluminium but brass and nickel silver worked fine. Btw, gun blue is exactly that. It is used for "blueing" firearms, can't remember where I got it though, think it was the big Model Railway show at Warley. Hope this helps.