Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andy Robbins

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

109 Excellent

About Andy Robbins

  • Rank
    New Member
  • Birthday 07/12/66

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

300 profile views
  1. Are you serious, Hasegawa?

    That’s the point. The Tomcat came out in 1989. I remember going to Hastings to buy one from Maintrack. It’s an amazing kit, but should it really be selling for £60?
  2. New Me-262 Airfix 1/72

    MR Paint is the one I use- I’ve got the gloss, satin and matt. They are as thin as water and spray really well. I’ve not had any pebbling or anything horrible. I used to use the Tamiya ones, but their matt varnish always pebbled to a degree, and then one day wrecked an Eduard EV that I’d lovingly lozenged. I tried the Alclad ones, but I had some that never dried and stayed sticky. MR varnishes are acrylic lacquers but haven’t destroyed any base coats so far. They’re pretty bombproof once dry, as well. They aren’t kind to your lungs, mind.
  3. New Airfix Walrus

    I think the only thing that I don’t like is that the interior walls are Ejector Pin City. The rest is really nice. I think that a trial fit will show how many marks need to actually come out and how many you can ignore. I agree that the wall thickness dictates the size of the sidewall detail, but I bet there will be a lot you can’t see anyway. I have to say that I don’t use tons of Eduard now apart from their masks or sometimes seatbelts. It’s fine for their own kits, because they are made with the details in mind, but some of the rest can be a bit ‘style over substance,’ like their Lynx details that stop the seats fitting, or their massively oversize Gladiator panel. I really like the Walrus kit. You can always find niggles if you look close enough, but taken as a whole, it’s pretty impressive. My grandad built them at Cowes during the war. It’s a funny thought that at least one of the options could be a replica of one that had his fingerprints on.
  4. FOUR better - or worse!

    In lieu of beach
  5. Not sure where to start. Mental illness.

    I really really appreciate your words- in fact I’m quite speechless and humbled by the support. I’ve also got dyspraxia, which affects not only my co ordination, but my processing. When I’m tired or unwell, the coping mechanisms I’ve developed don’t work, and so that affects my ability to create. The destruction is a form of self harm as well- the negative thoughts sort of pull me in. It’s hard to describe. I’ve also got two degrees and an HND, so I know I’m not as dim as I was made to feel in the past. I also do an unbelievably responsible job. However, the past leaves scars, and the feeling of just not quite coming up to the mark haunts it all. However- as I said, it’s very humbling to get this level of support. As Panzer Vor! Said, there are 20- odd thousand of us here. None of us are alone really.
  6. Not sure where to start. Mental illness.

    I'm not alone, I know. I'm married to a wonderful woman who shares a similar past, and also has MH issues. She actually does encourage my hobby, and it breaks her heart when it ends the way it does.
  7. Not sure where to start. Mental illness.

    It did take a bit. I've been under the care of mental health services for about 20 years, since I was diagnosed. It's been a part of me for so long, I just live with it. It's a cyclical thing (bipolar disorder, actually), and so sometimes it's harder to live with than others. Coupled with many demons from the past, it can be hard to manage when they all come at once.
  8. Not sure where to start. Mental illness.

    I'm not sure how relevant this is, or where to start. I've just binned an Airfix 262, as well as my 5th 1/72 Lightning. No reason, but the faults were too apparent, and the thoughts/voices were too persuasive. This year, I've finished an Eduard 190- it's in RFI. Last year, I didn't finish anything. I've got a severe mental illness. I'm functional- I go to work, etc, but it affects my life in a serious way. My hobby wasn't encouraged- it was ridiculed by my family when I was young. My abusive ex was the same. I love being creative, but when I'm ill it becomes a focus. All I see is faults, and it has to go. The voices from the past become too loud to ignore, and it has to go. Destruction of things I'm proud of is a self harm for me. Not a happy man, really. I just need to unload.
  9. Are you serious, Hasegawa?

    This has to be a record. Just been looking on the Big H website, and some new Hasegawa kits caught my eye. Coastal Command Liberator, at £74.99 1/72 Tomcat (28 year old kit) £59.99 And the biggie: 1/72 Avenger £69.99 I'm sure there is a market for limited editions, but really, Hasegawa? Those prices are optimistic to say the least. It does beg the question whether Hasegawa actually want to sell kits.
  10. New Airfix Walrus

    If it's as good as the 3D rendering on YouTube, then it's a real winner. Roll on tomorrow night when I get home!
  11. New Airfix Walrus

    I shouldn't have to show you photos in order for you to believe me about the gold rigging thread and cast silver landing gear mine came with.
  12. New Airfix Walrus

    Well, it saddens me that our word isn't our bond....
  13. 20% off at Hobby craft

    Don't forget the Pink Panther- every HC I've ever been in has huge stacks of those.
  14. New Airfix Walrus

  15. New Airfix Walrus

    Got mine today! Sadly I'm at work til Friday, but my wife says the box is very heavy....