Airfix Spit MkXII

tank152

Well actually thats a lie, I built them many moons ago when I was still at school. I normally build 43rd cars but since coming on here i've had the urge to start building them again. Anyway as you can see i'm quite a way into the build as I wasn't intending showing it on here, as it is my 1st 1 propper but by doing so hopefully you kind folks on here can help me on my way. As you can see i've re done the scoop on the cowling, also the under side has been sprayed and masked off wich leads me to my 1st question, i've used masking tape to mask the fuselage under side, should this be hard edged or would I have been better using Blu-tac? I've also sprayed the Sky band and masked that off. The upper surface is now ready for the como, i've had a go at post/pre shading what do you think? I didn't want to go over the top with this and emphasise those panel lines to much. When it comes to rolling out the blu(white)-tac for the camo what sort of dia should I be aiming for and should I be trying to keep it round as much as possible?

I've had to put it to one side for the time being as i'm in the process of converting my shed into a modelling room. As such i've given it a coat of Aqua Gloss to protect the paint. One thing I did forget to do was to spray some areas with some Alclad and dab some masking sol on.

All comments are welcome good or bad!

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

Edited by tank152

That looks like the Mk XII you've got there. Looks very promising. Re masking, I'd say stick with tape for a hard-edged demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces, but maybe use Blu-tak if you want a tight feathered edge for the disruptive pattern. I'm sure someone (Edgar perhaps) has said somewhere on this forum what the maximum permitted amount of overspray was.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

That is looking very good and I think your shading is spot on. I have just done one of these as a relaxing build after my Mitchell. I roll out the sausages so they are about3-4 millimeters in diameter and tend to squash them fairly flat. Look forward to seeing it finished

Howard

Thanks for the comments so far, but please feel free to be critical if need be, i'm here to learn. I'll get her masked up with white-tac and post pics up before hitting her with the green. Also i've managed to loose the cannon barrels, any suggestions in what aftermarket ones I could use if any?

Edited by tank152

... Also i've managed to loose the cannon barrels, any suggestions in what aftermarket ones I could use if any?

This set will do the job...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MR48004

Bit pricey at nearly 8 quid but they do look nice, Airfix will probably send you a new pair free if you ask. If you use the Master guns you want to use the longer pair.

Edited by TheModeller

This set will do the job...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MR48004

Bit pricey at nearly 8 quid but they do look nice, Airfix will probably send you a new pair free if you ask. If you use the Master guns you want to use the longer pair.

Ok cheers for that. I'll see what she turns out like after the camo if I don't fudge her up i'll get a set of those.

Looks to be going well for you there fella. Is the upper cowling air scoop a kit part or an item you've added?

Hi, its a part i made, out of a piece of aluminium which an egg custard was in! I formed it over a cocktail stick. Not my idea, I've just copied it from others.

Nice work so far, looking good. Re your Canon barrels I am sure I have a pair of barrells from a Daco MkXIV correction set. I will check and let you know. If they are any good to you, you are more than welcome to them. I am no Expert on these things so not sure if correct or not. If you want them PM me your address details and I will send to you.

All the best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a bit more done this weekend. Masked with white tac and sprayed on dark green.

DSC_0259.jpg

I added some desert yellow to tint the green, and then oversprayed with a very thinned mix of dark green. With that done with baited breath i removed all the masking and this is what greeted me.

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

I couldn't believe my luck, i'm pretty chuffed with the outcome for a first time masking job. After that I masked and sprayed the yellow, followed by the black walk way markings.

DSC_0260-1.jpg

These I reckon are a little to thick, oh well.

Then sealed everything in with klear ready for the decals.

DSC_0272.jpg

Hardly ground breaking stuff to what i've seen on here but its a start.

Again all comments welcome.

Edited by tank152

Again all comments welcome.

Are those ailerons glued in place?

If you can do it without spoiling that nice paintjob you really want them deflected in opposite directions, one up, one down, looks like you have them both drooping down, thats right for the elevators but not the ailerons.

Are those ailerons glued in place?

If you can do it without spoiling that nice paintjob you really want them deflected in opposite directions, one up, one down, looks like you have them both drooping down, thats right for the elevators but not the ailerons.

:oops: I'm afraid my lack of understanding of how aircraft work has shown here! But thanks for pointing it out to me, i'm glad that you did. I dare not try and alter them now as yes they are well and truly stuck. I'm on a learning curve here with this build.

:oops: I'm afraid my lack of understanding of how aircraft work has shown here! But thanks for pointing it out to me, i'm glad that you did. I dare not try and alter them now as yes they are well and truly stuck. I'm on a learning curve here with this build.

I wouldn't worry about it, I once paid good money for a book on the Mosquito only to find that the well-known modeller that wrote it had glued the elevators of each one of his models with opposing defelections... Elevators don't work like that but ailerons do... At least you know for the next one, seeing what you've managed so far the next will be even better!

I've spent the last couple of nights applying the decals. After being used to doing cars this was pretty straight forward if not a pretty boring job. I did have a job getting some of them down into those rather deep panel lines though, is that a common problem with this kit? Looking at the Tamiya and Eduard kits that I have the panel lines don't look as deep. I've now sealed them in with Klear ready for some weathering. I was thinking of; Mig Neutral Wash and then a bit of fading with some spots of Mig oils and blend them, am I thinking along the right lines with that idea? Before that i'll add a few chips to the paint work.

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

All comments and advice welcome.

Thanks for looking.

It's hard to believe it's your first aeroplane, I wouldn't mind seeing some of your cars :). I didn't do a panel wash on mine as the engraving is a bit deep. At the end of the day, it's all down to personal taste so go for it. Oooh.. and which 190 are you building Kurt??

H

Howard, every time I use my airbrush on my cars I always practice with it with thinned down paint ready for when I start to build aircraft. Other than going to model shows and asking people about their models, reading various modelling mags i've learnt loads from joining this forum.

I've posted 2 finished cars that i've built in the vehicles section on here.

To day i've used some oils to weather/fade the Spit, just have to wait a couple of days now for it to fully dry out so that I can give it a coat of matt varnish.

Its the Eduard ProfiPack D9 that i've started.

Kurt :)