1:32 Ki84 - * * F I N I S H E D * *

Ian

Will post the now traditional box shot when SWMBO re-appears with our camera - it's Saturday and almost by definition the little'uns are at a birthday party !! - really looking forward to this GB itching to get started. Has anybody thought of starting an 'inspiration' thread... purely selfish reasons, I have quite a few Pacific era builds I'd like to show !!

More soon

Ian

Edited by Ian

And now with photos !

Frankrefs.jpg

Not got too many references. Mark Gliddens' article in the August 2005 edition of Model Airplane International is very helpful, as is the Famous Aircraft the World (#19). And Richard Caruana's illustrations in the October 2004 Scale Aviation Modeller are useful in that he offers alternatives to the 'straight' Green over Grey paint scheme.

Frankboxtop.jpg

Not much to say... it's just beautiful isn't it !

Frankdecals1.jpg

Eagle Strike sheet 32-067. I'll nt be using the hinomaru's, they will be sprayed.

Frankdecals2.jpg

The essential MDC Japanese instrument decals, Mmmmmm.

Frankbelts.jpg

Rduard pre-painted belts, another essential (IMHO). I'll post any progress photos as and when. In advance I'll say (as I always seem to...) I welcome all comments, questions and criticism and will always attempt to respond promptly. Guess that's all for now, during the week.

Ian

Not much to say... it's just beautiful isn't it !

Ian

Frankly (haha) I think the aeroplane looks really odd! It's the horizontal tailplane being so far forward compared to the fin, the long slender fuselage with the great big lump of a donk, and the wings which seem almost swept forward. Ugly bird to me - but there's no accounting for personal taste. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing your build, crack on!

Until last night I hadn't really checked through the instructions at all. Couldn't believe how little there is to this build. The wings are assembled, and I've already sprayed the interior - I used Tamiya XF-5 with a little Tamiya 'Chromate Yellow' mixed into it. There's a lot of discussion on various web-sites about the interior colour; some maintain it was 'Nakajima Interior Green' (or some other more generic green), some say they weren't painted at or they were given the blue Aotake lacquer.... I'm guessing that the truth lies somewhere between all of these. As I'm not doing straight green over grey camouflage, I decided on finishing the interior in a contrasting green colour.

Last night I dry-brushed the interior parts with a ligtened mix of Humbrol RAF Interior Green (#78) which really made the details jump-out. Tonight, if I have time and assuming the little'uns decide not to go wandering down to the TV, I'll get the first oil wash onto them and with some luck, I should have the cockpit all done by the end of the week.

Pics to follow, probably Thursday.

AFN

Ian

So when I sat-down at 1900 I was faced with this:

Frank1a.jpg

Just the basic painted cockpit with a little light dry-brushing to bring the details out.

Next-up a wash of Raw Umber and Paynes Grey mixed 50/50:

Frank1b.jpg

Then a marathon - for me - session of around two hours:

Frank1c.jpg

I have to admit, this for me is the most rewarding part of the whole process, taking a really superb kit cockpit and bringing it to life with some little dawbs of paint here and there. Not too shabby for an evenings work even if I say so m'self.

More in a min'

Ian

did a little experimental dry-run just to check the fit of the main sections of the 'tub'

Frank1d.jpg

Frank1e.jpg

Before moving on to the IP. I started with this:

Frank2a.jpg

Again simply the basic paint and a little dry-brushing. Then 'painted' each dial-face with glossy black to make applying the MDC instrument decals that much easier later on:

Frank2b.jpg

As ever thanks for taking the time to look.

AFN

Ian

IP has both MDC and kit decals softened to fit with Micro Sol then each bezel given a 'drop' of Johnsons Kleer to simulate the glass.

Frank3a.jpg

Frank3b.jpg

Frank3c.jpg

Frank3d.jpg

More in a minute....

Ian

Ian: your cockpit certainly "looks the part...", IMO the Ki-84 is a mean looking machine..!!

Cheers,

ggc

Cannot believe how quickly I've arrived at this point.... :gobsmacked:

Frank5a.jpg

Frank5b.jpg

Frank5c.jpg

Frank5d.jpg

Will be while before I can get some paint on it, but that's fine as it gives me more time to find-out 'exactly' what colour late war Japanese Olive Brown really is !! :shrug:

AFN

Ian

the cockpit looks fantastic i bet its a big hulk of plastic in 1/32, I remember my Fw190D-9 in this scale. I'm looking forward to seeing the camo going down on the airframe :)